Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Design Around This #11: Pink for the Present Day

Posted by cawaps (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 28, 11 at 23:19

The theme of our newest exercise is pink kitchens, with the aim of reclaiming the color pink for the modern homeowner. I've corrected the numbering so that we're on #11, since we had two #9's (I think Marcolo wanted to pretend that golden oak never happened).

Pink was popular for decades in the middle of the last century. Maybe it was overdone, but I think that we've had decades of backlash against it. People haven't gotten over seeing the color with the baggage of it being their mom's or grandmother's kitchen. I have a friend who bought a 1960-ish home and had to repaint her bathroom to work with 3 competing pinks (two different tiles and the bathtub)--she doesn't look favorably on pink.

I once mused about changing gender roles and the fall of pink from favor in kitchens and baths. I was reminded that the presumed "femininity" of pink is both cultural ("Pink is the navy blue of India") and time-dependent (pink wasn't regarded as a girl's color in past centuries). Whatever is currently keeping pink out of favor, it seems likely to change sometime in the future. What will that look like?

Not too many rules:
1) Pink should be featured prominantly (though not necessarily dominantly) and be integral to the design (not just appearing in the afterthought accessories).
2) Usual rules about giving and receiving feedback apply

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Design Around This #11: Pink for the Present Day

Photobucket

o

Thanks for playing, I like it. The essential elements aren't particularly feminine, and with a different fixture and chairs it could look really gender-neutral despite the color.

o

Oh, I really like that one, schmeltz! It's quite soft and soothing without, as pal says, smacking too much of femininity...although I'd go for the additional fem vibe and keep those awesome chairs. I almost used that same backsplash for my board in the white kitchen thread.

o

Please post info on how to make a proper collage?

o
#1 Yesterday's pink kitchen today

For my first pink kitchen, I decided to do a period 1950s kitchen in materials available today (only the pendant is vintage, all the rest is available or reproduction). My attempt is to do a pink period kitchen , not a Kitschen, --I often feel that 1950s reproduction descends into kitsch.
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Counter and backsplash: Formica solid surface.
Wilsonart does have a boomerang-style laminate but with the other finishes I thought this might be too much.
Photobucket
Maple Fairfield cabinets from Woodmode.
Pink Appliances from Big Chill
White Stardust vinyl from Amtico
Googieland Wallpaper from Bradbury and Bradbury
Reproduction Ball Clock from Vitra
New Heywood Wakefield furniture from Heywood-Wakefield
Vintage Pendant
Dish knobs with Star escutcheon from Rejuvenation.

I think because of the solid surface, you could get away with this kitchen looking period-original-updated. The sparkly floor and the wallcovering are a bit kitschy in the sense that they always were, but not so much to be a caricature of a 1950s vernacular kitchen.

o

Florantha, a lot of posters use a freen online tool called Olioboard. It's pretty easy to use.

Honestly I've mostly just been using Microsoft Word. If you format pictures to float over text you can drag them wherever you want, resize them, and bring them to front/push to back. Then I save the whole thing as a PDF and then save the PDF as a JPEG. I think you need Adobe Acrobat Standard (not just Reader) to pull this off. The thing that Olioboard does that Word doesn't is strip the background from images (so if you have a pic of cabinet hardware on white, Olioboard will strip the white and let you put just the hardware directly on the cabinet).

o

anna- Those chairs aren't the exact color IRL as the picture I posted, but they are available at Amazon, for quite a bit cheaper than what I was expecting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Accent chairs

o
#2 migraine(?) kitchen

With this kitchen, I worked with shocking pink, a color that is sometimes connected to a migraine, for me. The primary planes of pink are horizontal with one piece of hot pink in 3-D, the buffet.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Stainless steel backsplash, cabinets, and appliances.
Silestone quartz counter
Amtico Pure Plain Flamingo floor
Florence Broadhurst Peacock Feathers fabric as wallcovering
vintage Stilnovo light fixture
Emeco Navy Chairs
Wendell Castle Molar Group table
Painting: "Pink" by Lalani Nan

o

Schmelz - I really like the tile you found. It's a "grown up" pink, not a girly pink at all. The pink glass hardware echoes it well, too. Good choice there! I think if one used the backsplash and cabinet color, a more neutral countertop (gray & white marble?) would be a nice contrast to keep it looking too sweet & it would probably tie in with the flooring.

I can appreciate that you found lots of pink materials to use that work together, I just think that a cool countertop would keep it from going all "cotton candy cloying sweetness".

BTW - I'm not someone who can do these challenges too well (I'm in my own personal hell trying to plan another reno, so the last thing I want to do is make more choices). But I like seeing what you guys come up with!

o

This design started with the pink and brown houndstooth fabric. Houndtooth first appeared in menswear collections in the 1930s, so this will be for a 1930s home, with an Art Deco spin.

Besides the houndstooth, I took a menswear inspiration for the backspash in the form of pinstripes, using pink tile and brown grout (brown tile with pink grout would have been more menswear-y, but would have featured pink less prominently).

Shaker cabinets in a dark brown stain
Silestone counters in toffee
Backsplash tile is from Ann Sacks Elements, color Eternal
Viking Range in Chocolate
Jenn-Air rangehood in oil-rubbed bronze
Brown and pink paisley fabric from My Sunshine Fabrics
Brown and pink houndstooth fabric from Buyfabrics.com
Floor is Marmoleum in Horse Roan
Art Deco dining chairs from Modlivin.bondandbowery.Com
Saltman walnut dining table from danishmodernla.com
French pink glass ceiling light and French Deco chandelier from 1stDibs.com

o

Well, I'm not a KD nor do I claim to play one on TV, but I couldn't resist playing along on this one, since I have a pink kitchen and wouldn't have anything else.

I don't know how to do the mood board/design thing, but here are some pictures of my kitchen. It is a very happy space in which to work.

After2

Photobucket

o
Pink colonial revival

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Daltile Union Square on backsplash and exterior wall
Pierre Joli pink marble counters from Ann Sacks
Holiday Kitchens "Jamestown" plank door
Oak Floor
West Saint Mary wallpaper from Adelpi Paperhangings (revolutionary-era document paper)
Chairs and sideboard from Great Windsor Chairs
Acorn "Colonial" hardware in copper
Copper pull-down fixture

o

You are really squeezing past the pink on that one, pal. I had been waiting for someone to use that light fixture in the phony-colonie thread.

o

Beverly has been widowed for two years. Her husband was stingy (he preferred "extremely frugal"), and the kitchen was largely unchanged since they moved in 1968. Thanks to her husband's frugality, she has a more than comfortable nest egg, and is ready to loosen the purse strings and spring for a new kitchen. Beverly wants something romantic and feminine in her 1911 Edwardian.

She chose a color scheme of pink, beige and white. She chose inset shaker cabinets (Providence from Crown Point). She wanted pink countertops, but the offerings are pretty limited. She went high-end with Concetto in rose quartz. To match the counter, she chose rose quarz cabinet hardware from Signature Hardware and eknobsandpulls.

She found a beautiful mosaic of pink flowers on white at Ann Sacks (Azure Blossom mosaic). The floor is a marble tile from Daltile (Ashwan Mocha Marble tile). She found a vintage 1940s pink lighting fixture online at 1stDibs and a red rose swag chandelier from Lamps Plus for over the dining table.

She chose off white appliances ("biscuit") from Viking, a Dacor range hood, and a Vestige faucet from Moen to go with her stainless undermount sink.

To complete the dining area, she chose a French Country table from Petit Tresor; ladderback chairs from Primarily Pine.

o

These are all really creative. Pal, I'd *almost* trade my blue retro for your pink! Love the chocolate and the French country looks!

o

Schmelz - I love your pink kitchen design. It's a good thing I just finished my kitchen, or I would really have to consider that. Although I would have a hard time convincing my husband of going that way.

I love pink, so I really have to restrain myself. I limited it to my bathroom and touches in the bedroom.

All of these are appealing to me. Cawaps I love a lot of your elements, too. I really like that vintage ceiling light.

o

I just want to say that I don't feel equal to the task of posting a suggestion here (since, for one I don't even know how to post pics!) but that I love this pink thread. Hope there will be lots more on it. Pal, love your colonial revival, since we are going to have a pinky-beige brick backsplash (though the bricks will be tumbled/antique looking.) Marcolo, you are the master of coining terms -- phony-colonie! Love it!

o

Well, Cawaps' rose quartz has me fantasizing about what if. I've always loved it, and left to myself I might well build a kitchen around it. The pairings make the most of it, too.

o

Cawaps- That last kitchen is just beautiful! The backsplash is really lovely and I like the way the pink is highlighted, but doesn't take over the room.

All these kitchens are much nicer, than I had expected. Well done by all...we have quite a talented group, but I guess that's no surprise :)

o

I have spent the last 12 years removing all the pink (and teal and green and burgundy) from two houses, also lived in a condo with pink carpet while in school and would not, could not do a pink kitchen. I have two boys now and don't really care if I ever see any pink in my house again (although I'm sure it will have it's fashion forward day again). But Palimpsest could get a white and stainless (or gray -- even black) kitchen with fuschia accents past me. That's fun.

o

I'm so glad that even one person liked my choices. I'm not exactly a professional and can't even get my husband, who doesn't care about anything except for cost, to like a single thing that I have picked out.

o

Cawaps- that is a beautiful kitchen. I absolutely love the cabinet pulls. Do they come in different colors?

o
Pink Neoclassical Kitchen.

On that note :), here is my nearly all-pink kitchen, with the pink getting dirtier and dirtier until it turns into a grisaille type taupe.

I also used the Rosada Concetto, from a different starting point though, and a completely different end point than cawap's traditional kitchen.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Concetto Backsplash
Silestone Unsui Quartz
Conestoga Door
Herringbone floor
Painting, Lamps, and Cerused Console from 1st Dibs
Grisaille wallpaper panels from Zuber or DeGournay
Wallcovering from Phillip Jeffries-Sputnik fixture from 1st dibs
Lobel Chairs and Pink Marble-topped table from 1st Dibs
Fabrics, Copper detail on Dacor Range, Knob from Rocky Mtn Hdwr, and lighting from Visual Comfort.

o
It really is pink.

All of the fabrics, furniture and wallcoverings are pink or blush and came up in searches with pink or blush included in the search. The wallpaper under the pendant fixture is called "Rosebud".

o

Chippygirl, your kitchen is beautiful! I would never have thought to use pink with your white cabinets -- at least not before this exercise -- but it really works.

To those who've shown their mood boards, I think I like the designs for this competition best of all the ones you guys have done.

o

Schmeltz, those pulls come in both more metal finishes (brass and ORB in addition to nickel) and different semi-precious gemstones (amethyst, tiger eye, labradorite, jade, lapis, etc.). Cabinet Knobs and More has a lot to choose from; search for "My Terra pull".

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Knobs and More

o

Palimpsest - You've hit my sweet spot. I love that mural wallpaper and those fabrics. The herringbone floor is very nice, again, I am glad my kitchen is done or that would have been on my gotta have list.

o

"To those who've shown their mood boards, I think I like the designs for this competition best of all the ones you guys have done."

DITTO!!! Each mood board is better than the last -- and they're all wonderful. I'm busily dragging and dropping to my desktop for my "someday" file.

Pal -- wonderful direction you took with the pink - WOW! I love the look you've put together with that chandelier and that wallpaper - A-MAZ-ING! Since I'm sure that light is out of my price range, I will put it on my while-surfing-craigslist watch list, who knows maybe an MCM version will appear one day.

Thanks all for this fun thread, I've seriously drooled over each of your designs: Schmelz, you've had more than " even one person" who's liked your choices, loved them!

Kris

o
Hot Pink #2

This is veering a bit toward letting myself do something bad, but I wanted to try it.

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Daltile Tungsten
Silestone Love Pink
Omega Soho Cabinets and Verona Matte black range
Forbo Petrified Wood Floor
Wolf Gordon Collage Wallcovering in Rose and steel chest
Wolf Gordon Linnea Flower Wallcovering in Graphite
Saarinen table and chairs under Artemide fixture
Mr Crowley rug from Kyle Bunting
More Petrified wood from Forbo.

o

Define "something bad."

The colors are dramatic, and make me think of women's fashion or night club decor more than they do kitchens. But while the audience for such a kitchen is probably limited, I love how the colors and textures work together. The rug is expecially cool, and I love the contrasting pink inside the black fixture.

o

The idea here was a mod 1960s kitchen, but not over-the-top. I started with the fabric, which has pink, rose, green, black and white. I wanted to pick up the green but didn't want my eyes to bleed. I ended up with lots of muted greens, pink, black, stainless and chrome.

The drapery fabric is a retro black/pink fabric from Premier Prints, bought on buyfabric.com.

Lots of stuff from Ikea: Nexus cabinets, all the appliances (Praktfull pro range, Nutid range hood, Kylig fridge), Calypso ceiling light and Lansa pulls.

Backsplash is laminate from Abet Laminati; the counter is Silestone Tigris Sand which reads as a neutral with definite yellow/green undertones on my monitor (not sure about real life). After a number of iterations on the floor, I settled on more green with Marmoleum Green Wellness.

The dining table is a Domitalia Corona round table with a chrome base and black glass, found on Amazon. I found the Milo Baughman chrome and pink chairs on 1st Dibs (set of 4). The shape of the dining fixture echoes the table base. It is a Fog & Morup Semi light. I cheated a bit here, because I couldn't find a source for a chrome version of the lamp in my search, but I did find other colors for sale. They appear to be not impossibly rare (although chrome is the hardest to find; I could use black instead), and I suspect there are reproductions that I couldn't find. The image is from Atomicdesign.ca.

o

Boy, Schmeltz set the bar high with the first great board, and everyone else has followed suit! I struggled here (emotional baggage from old pink surfaces still stuck in my house?) I don't think it works nearly as well as many of the boards above that truly embrace the color pink and deal with it on many levels, but I want to stop poking at it and post.

Beth liked her Florida condo. It had a great view of the ocean from her bedroom, but the kitchen had always seemed dark and disconnected from the outdoors. One morning, walking in the gray light of early dawn, this conch shell in the surf gave her an idea.

Photobucket

Beth loved how the bright pink appeared from the center of the shell like a shiny surprise, on an otherwise neutral surface. She decided to see if she could duplicate this effect in her small kitchen, using blended pinks only on the deep interiors of shelves, and her backsplash. She used the custom gradient tile tool on the Susan Jablon website to order a series of tiles, varying from light to dark. This was to be the wave of color from the interior of the shell.

Photobucket

She chose cabinets with the color of weathered wood from Plain and Fancy Cabinets Driftwood Collection, a Viking range in Stone Gray, Sahara Brown granite, and dark gray varnished oak floors for contrast with the cabinets.

Photobucket

She wanted the rest of the small room to echo the subtle colors and interesting textures of natural beach materials.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now all she needed was a pair of flip flops, a beach towel, and a three day weekend.

Tall pantry Twilight Bay Hartley Driftwood Cabinet, Lexington Home Brands
Benjamin Moore Cedar Key wall paint
Wallpaper, Sea Coral Champagne by Schumacher
Sahara Brown Granite on countertops
Marchmont seashell sideboard by Currey and Company
Sea Shell cabinet pull by Buck Snort Lodge
Hickory Branch Pendant Light, Collier West
Driftwood 3 Light Lantern, Currey and Company
Capiz shell Regatta Light Mini Pendants, Currey and Company
Triton Sea Shell Mosaic Mirror, HomeDecorators.com
Driftwood table, Crate and Barrel
Tenby Seagrass dining chairs, Furniture123

o
RE: Design Around This #11: 1960s Mod Pink & Green

The idea here was a mod 1960s kitchen, but not over-the-top. I started with the fabric, which has pink, rose, green, black and white. I wanted to pick up the green but didn't want my eyes to bleed. I ended up with lots of muted greens, pink, black, stainless and chrome.

The drapery fabric is a retro black/pink fabric from Premier Prints, bought on buyfabric.com.

Lots of stuff from Ikea: Nexus cabinets, all the appliances (Praktfull pro range, Nutid range hood, Kylig fridge), Calypso ceiling light and Lansa pulls.

Backsplash is laminate from Abet Laminati; the counter is Silestone Tigris Sand which reads as a neutral with definite yellow/green undertones on my monitor (not sure about real life). After a number of iterations on the floor, I settled on more green with Marmoleum Green Wellness.

The dining table is a Domitalia Corona round table with a chrome base and black glass, found on Amazon. I found the Milo Baughman chrome and pink chairs on 1st Dibs (set of 4). The shape of the dining fixture echoes the table base. It is a Fog & Morup Semi light. I cheated a bit here, because I couldn't find a source for a chrome version of the lamp in my search, but I did find other colors for sale. They appear to be not impossibly rare (although chrome is the hardest to find; I could use black instead), and I suspect there are reproductions that I couldn't find. The image is from Atomicdesign.ca.

o

OMG mudhouse, that is beautiful, just absolutely beautiful.

First off, let me say it...I hate pink, and honestly, hate is too mild a word for the loathing I feel for pink. I moved right after we did the Formica DAR and so I missed the ones I really wanted to do (Tuscamerican, Golden Oak)because I had no internet. Got internet back and I log into Pink (gag gag).

I tried to "think pink", really tried. I looked at all the mood boards and tried to be objective and brain cells died off each time I viewed something pink. Some items were nice, some were cool, but the pink was just killing me one brain cell at a time.

Then I saw yours and the shell inspiration and the beachy theme...and I fell in love. The wood lights and the table, the shell mirror, the wonderful weathered beachy-sandy-surf woods. Its all just gorgeous.

o

Sorry about the double post. I submitted originally then immeduately ran out for groceries. When I came back there was an error message so I thought it hadn't gone through. I guess I should have checked before resubmitting, because it looks like the error message was in error!

o
traditional otk or sgtg kitchen

I wanted this one to be exactly like what someone would do in white with black counters and a brown wood floor, but in pink and dark gray

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Tile by Barbara Barry through Ann Sacks
Zodiaq Storm Gray
Grey stained floors
Painting by Amy Weiskopf
Fixture and enfilade from 1st Dibs
Furniture from Room and Board in Charcoal Stain
Antique Tabriz Rug

o

Mudhouse - I really like your board, especially the pink tile and cabinets with weathered wood, Viking range in Stone Gray, Sahara Brown granite, and dark gray varnished oak floors. Those colors go so nicely with pink.

Plimpsest - I love your newest one also. I really like the pinks with the dark grays. That rug and the fixtures are beautiful.

o

Mudhouse, that really is a pretty kitchen (It takes me back to the marine biologists' kitchen on the animal prints thread). I think the graduated pink mosaic is a great idea that would look even better in real life than it does in the computer mock-up. I wonder how it would look if you pulled in some of the gold tones that you see on the edge of the conch shell? The seashell sideboard is a little too much for me; it steps over the line from theme into kitsch (IMO, FWIW).

Kode, there is absolutely no expiration date on these threads. If you want to go back and do Tuscamerican or golden oak, do it! I have at least one more golden oak kitchen in me. And I'm sure the folks following these threads would check in if you bumped with a new design.

I wrote a couple posts with comments on some of the previous kitchens, but I think they got eaten (I've been having some technical difficulties with GW), and I don't see them now. So here is a recap. If I'm repeating myself, I apologize.

Schmeltz, your kitchen is gorgeous. I really like the red and pink tile in the mosaic with the antique rose wall paint. I'm not normally a fan of pink and red together, but the tones in that mosaic work beautifully.

Pal #1, 1950s. I was slow to warm up to this one, but I like it more and more every time I scroll past it. It definitely has the feel of a real 1950s kitchen.

Pal #2, Fuschia/stainless. This one is very fun. I like the whimsy of the plume wall treatment and the artwork that looks like draped satin. Feminine but not over the top.

Cohippygirl, what a fun wall color. I'm happy that not everyone has forsaken pink.

Pal #3, Colonial. I disagree with Marcolo, I think this definitely qualifies as pink, even though it has more pinky beige than pink. The wallpaper definitely counts. Your hardware reminds me of what my mom has in her house, as does the light fixture, although I never would have described her house as colonial (It was a hodge-podge of add-on to a base house was basically a bare-bones box.)

Pal #4, Concetto/grisaille. What style would you classify this one? I love the grisaille mural and the Sputnik fixture. I'm not sure how I feel about the lamps and artwork. They don't quite seem to fit with the rest of the kitchen (although they work with each other), and I'm not sure if it is the boldness of the color or the style.

Pal #6, pink/dark gray. I had to look up "enfilade" and it still didn't really help (the definitions I found includea gunfire pattern and room layout in architecture). Is it a fancy word for sideboard? I really like the muted pink with the gray, and that pink bell fixture is to die for.

o

Mudhouse, that's jaw-droppingly beautiful -- the mosaic is gorgeous. I seriously love this driftwood and pink design. The only improvement I can think of would be to add in Pal's gorgeous rug from her 12/31 (20:14) design.

o

Wow...I'm not a pink person, but the first one would be a first for me. Love it. Also love the one designed from the seashell. Both of these are probably more comfy due to a bit of rust being included. Thanks for the work and taking the time to share ...all of you.

o
Menswear Kitchen

Cawaps, en enfilade is a buffet where all the doors open into the same compartment.
------
In certain milieu, men have no problem with pink and wear a fair amount of it. Brooks Brothers is full of pink clothing for men.
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Pink corian backsplash and counter
Pink Farrow and Ball wallcovering (shirt)
Blue cabinets (Omega) and range (blazer)
Leather Floor - Ann Sacks - Piel (shoes)
Karastan carpet (grey flannel slacks)
Hunt print (1st dibs)
Baker Campaign chest
Table and chairs 1st dibs)
PE Guerin brass knob
Turnstyle leather knob

o

You guys are truly talented people. You've put together all these materials so beautifully!! A feast for the eyes!

My only two cents is that if I had some softer pinks and rose colors, I'd have darker floors. I don't know why I have that instinct though - maybe because it would balance well with the pinks. Also kind of makes me think of earth and grounding. Also just looks pretty - that contrast of pink and brown (always has looked nice). I'd make a point to have some masculinity thrown in here and there (flowers, yes, but also some straighter lines and solid, darker colors here and there) for more balance. Not being a designer, I have no idea if balance is the word I mean to say though! Just kind of...dynamic, if that makes sense?

o

pal, I haven't had time to participate but I was thinking along exactly the same lines. Colors normally come to housewares through clothing. Today, a very current fashion trend is Trad. The word is new--we used to call it preppy, although there are some differences between prep and Trad--but the aesthetic is quite old. Approaching pink from a Trad perspective takes it completely out of the feminine world into something much more masculine.

I found some interesting tile with ribbed texture that I thought suggested a repp tie, but capturing an image proved way too time-consuming on New Year's Eve. Glad you went with your take on the idea.

BTW Happy New Year, all.

o

Cawaps/all, I have been working on a pink kitchen that doesn't involve so many neutrals, but somehow it morphed into a pink and green Tudor Revival cottage kitchen. Should I post it in this pink thread, or post it in the previous Tarting up a Tudor thread? I wasn't sure it would fit the "Pink for the Present Day" theme (unless we mean Present Day Pink for those currently updating Tudor cottages...?) I am happy to put it wherever you folks think it fits best!

Happy New Year back to Marcolo and all.

o

Kode, thank you. I hope to recover from my pinkphobia after I rent a jackhammer to deal with the glowing Pepto-Bismol shrine (we call it the guest bath) at the end of our hallway. I was disappointed with my ability to manipulate the tile colors in this board, so I'm glad you get what I was trying to do.

WhiteRiverSooner, kris_ma, thanks. You're so right, the silvery grays in that antique Tabriz rug from Pal's OTK Pink Kitchen board would be terrific in the beach kitchen. I would steal it if I could.

Cawaps, I had the same thought about working in some gold tones, as on the outer surface of the shell. Originally I meant to try maple cabinets, but somehow took a left turn at driftwood and didn't go back. The shell-covered sideboard is too much for most sensible people. That's my own weakness for funky folkiness peeking out. Be warned, I would secretly love to glue bottlecaps and marbles all over my front porch. This illness may turn up again.

o

I can't believe everyone came up with such beautiful kitchens...and all pink! I don't dislike pink, but they're so creative and each one is different from the last.

I don't know what you all plan to do next, but at some point, I'd love to see you design a kitchen to go with this door :)

From Snow White album

o

Mudhouse, "present day" meant modern homeowners, not necessarily recently-built homes. Since lots of modern homeowners live in Tudor Revival homes, it is totally fine to post it here. But if you the driving factor is Tudor Revival-ness as much (or more) than pink, then it could go on the other thread instead. I've said it before, I don't consider any of the past threads to be closed.

So wherever you think is more appropriate.

As to funky folkiness, if you love it, embrace it. There are a couple of fabulous folk art cars in my neighborhood. While obviously not for everyone, they are fun to see.

My computer got a virus, and I am using a loaner. I was working on a couple more pink kitchens, but we'll see if the files are recoverable.

o

I love this thread. I'm not so keen on pink, at least not since it's gotten subverted as an advertising medium for making money by pretending to promote breast cancer awareness, but these are great design boards.

Mudhouse, I especially like your beach kitchen. What's the sink?

o

I think someone on Houzz wants to play

http://www.houzz.com/photos/218431/Decorate-by-Holly-Becker-and-Joanna-Copestick-eclectic-kitchen-

Here is a link that might be useful: pink wallpaper on Houzz

o

lol, pictures like should be prefaced by warnings...I think I seizured for a minute after I clicked on the link...

o

Thank you Cawaps, and sorry to hear about the computer virus. Fingers crossed you can recover your work, I would love to see more of your pink ideas.

Writersblock, thanks, I missed sourcing the sink in my beach kitchen. The carved beige travertine sink is by R. A. Magnus, Model MK1-D. They also offer it in other travertine colors, marble, and onyx. The 30" is $3100. (So glad I don't have to really pay for this stuff.)

Since cluelessincolorado gave us the link to that memorable(?) pink and green kitchen posted on Houzz, I guess I'll post my pink and green one here too. I was trying to work with pink and green, but also using fewer grays or browns (although, the pinks and greens are pretty muted in themselves.) The cement tile floor pulled me into a period home.

The small kitchen in Sakura's Tudor Revival cottage had last been updated in the 80's with materials that were functional but plain. The only kitchen feature that nodded to her cottage's Tudor Revival character was the small leaded glass window over the sink. She knew she was lucky, because her neighborhood was one of the few in the city with any active restoration of period homes. She decided to update her kitchen with materials that emphasized her home's interesting style.

She chose a bold pattern of new cement floor tiles. White paneled wainscoting brightened up the adjoining breakfast nook. Painted kitchen cabinets were topped with Marina Pink marble along the perimeter, complemented by a lighter pink Crema Dorlion Pink marble on the central island.

The slightly rough texture of the pink travertine backsplash tile was pleasing against the cool polished counters. (The local tile supplier said tumbled travertine was on the way out, so she happily scored those on sale.)

A pale green cherry blossom wall paper had enough pink (barely) to bridge the pink countertop and backsplash with the greens from the floors and cabinets.

Photobucket

Sakura liked the pops of refreshing white provided by her sinks and appliances, but decided to paint her limestone range hood a soft gray green to help unify it with the already busy small space. After painting, she sealed it with a matte finish stone sealer. The light fixtures added a fairy tale feeling, and echoed the peaked roof line detail in her leaded glass window.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cement floor tiles by VIA
Painted alder cabinets, Chisolm Classic in Olive, Custom Cupboards
Tumbled pink travertine backsplash tiles, marblehouseusa.com
Chambord carved stone range hood, Atelier Jouvence Custom Stoneworks
Paint for range hood, Benjamin Moore Harbour Town 493
Cherry Blossom Metallic Taupe wallpaper, blinds-wallpaper.net
green Loloi rug, Larson Too
Arroyo Craftsman pendants and small chandelier, lightingdirect.com
Anya round table, Shack Design Group
Oval back arm chair, Lexington Furniture Co.
Iron Cross pattern knob, lookintheattic.com
Grohe Bridgeford Series, double handle bridge kitchen faucet bronze
Whitehaus fluted fireclay farmhouse sink

o

mudhouse,

I like your second one but I LOVE your first one. I haven't embraced this challenge. Just can't get into it. I don't even have any pink in my closet, let alone a kitchen. I have really enjoyed some of these. Good work folks!

Ne

o
Comments

Trying to catch up on comments on all the fun work here.

Schmeltz, really pretty choices, and what a great start to this thread!

Pal 1, Period 50's pink kitchen. It really does look like a 50's kitchen, and not a caricature. Interesting that almost all of those materials are available today. I still struggle with pale pinks in vintage settings but I think this one works really well for your goal.

Pal 2, Hot Pink #1. I really can't think of a better color to warm up a sea of cool stainless, and it's an interesting exercise. I get migraines too but this wouldn't bother me.

Pal 4 Pink Neoclassical. I like taupey-grays anytime, and this looks very elegant and sophisticated. I think the smoky gray glass globes of the Sputnik fixture might be a nice shiny contrast to the other softer, muted surfaces. I would build a room around those two chunky pink stone lamps alone.

Pal 5 Hot Pink #2, I agree, no badness here. The tiny sliver of interior pink on the black light pendant (that Cawaps pointed out) is wonderful. I like the dark cabinets, all of these surfaces look seriously unkitchen-y and very interesting.

Pal 6 OTK in pink. I love the rug, the painting, and the bell form millefiore chandelier. I keep getting distracted by the green tone of the buffet. Overall it's a really interesting idea, but for some reason I think I love the individual pieces more than the group.

Pal 7 Menswear kitchen. What a fun theme. Also, I have been wondering about pairing blue with pink, and your cobalt/navy blue elements and Corian pink countertop show it could be done without looking like a nursery.

Cawaps, pink and brown houndstooth-inspired. One of my favorites in the whole thread, elegant and dramatic. I really like the tall panels of pink stained glass in the cabinets, and the vertical pink tile backsplash. Love the menswear connection.

Cawaps, Beverly's pale pink kitchen. The pale softness of this one is so peaceful, and the Concetto rose quartz is perfect. I think this kitchen would be especially beautiful in a 1911 Edwardian home, but I could see it in other style homes as well.

Cawaps 60's kitchen. The dark Nexus cabinets give the room a very serious feeling that I like, and such a dramatic background for the 60's bright colors. Clean lines and impressive designs. (No room for a towel pig in this kitchen.)

Cohippygirl, I remembered your kitchen and I'm so glad you posted it here. That clear and vibrant pink is something I tried to reach for in for my seashell-inspired kitchen tiles (but kinda missed.) Good for you for creating a space that makes your heart happy. I hope I can do the same some day.

o

Thanks for the sink info, mudhouse.

o

I just tried to do a pink country/rustic kitchen that isn't too romantic and is a little modern. I failed miserably. Pink is HARD. I've found a few good pieces, but just can't pull anything together.

Congratulations to all the posts here, well done. Pal's December 30th 22:13 version is probably the only one I could live with though.

o

I'm a bit surprised at how many people have been put off of attempting a pink kitchen, whether because it's hard or because they can't bring themselves to work with pink. I mean, golden oak is hard and not generally liked, but we had good participation on that thread.

We've seen lots of kitchens on this thread, but they come from only 5 posters. Is the topic really so off-putting, or were people just busy over the holidays?

o

I did two more kitchens while up last night searching for things for my new kitchen. As I found pink, I saved and put away. I'm not nearly as in love with either of these options, and I'm not sure that the pink is really pink in either one.
Photobucket

My pink farmhouse kitchen
Photobucket

o

Mudhouse- I really like your wallpaper, lighting, furniture...and that range hood! Very nice and definitely a little fairy tale :)

Schmeltz- I like your first kitchen the best, but those pigs are hysterical! LOL

o

I think I'm going to buy those pigs for use somewhere in my house. I'm instantly attracted to their piggy-ness.

o

cawaps - today was the first day I had some time to just sit down and think about pink. Probably many others are just too crazy busy. I've been entertaining/cleaning & more entertaining/cleaning for ten days now! Plus I think pink is hard - I have a vision in my head, but can't find pictures to match. Whenever I search for anything + pink it comes out shocking pink, cotton candy pink or Victorian rose romantic pink. I do think this challenge is tough.

Maybe some of the five who have posted can help me with my look. Small, simple mid-20th century house on an old farm, 30 minutes from the city. Most of the farm has reverted back to nature and is now forested. Couple are in their early '30s, moving from the city, on a budget, family on the way. Both like modern design, but in keep with the locale also want a decidedly country/rustic kitchen. But they also like pink, and want to use pink in the kitchen.

Here is an example of a pink country kitchen that I appreciate, but the couple DON'T want anything like this (too "romantic" pink):

pink-kitchen-decor-21

They love the feel of these kitchens, but want some pink:
Modern Rustic Kitchen 1
Rustic Modern Kitchen 2

Here are a few of the elements I started with - a vintage pink kitchen sink, twig shelf support with reclaimed barn boards, twig chandelier, open lower shelving. I want pink fabric for the cabinet beneath the sink, but couldn't find a great fabric. The fabric below isn't bad, but ... . I also want a painted armoire for food storage and a white or wood island with a tiled top. Pink botanical tile for the accent, complementary tile for the rest. I simply couldn't find an appropriate tile.

So - anyone care to make any suggestions? How could I pull this together? Or are pink and country modern simply not meant to mix?
OB-pink modern country

o
Pink Minimalism

The white minimalist kitchen shifted to pink.

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

The white minimalist kitchen in pink
Corian back splash
Portero marble counters with waterfall edge
Pink flat slab cabinets with edge pull
Daltile terrazzo floors
Lucite lamps
Nino Mier painting (he will do one that says " in the Kitchen" if you want.
Milo Baughman console
Wallcolor
Rejuvenation Sfera 16 pendant
Lucite and Edelman leather chairs
Panton Dining table.
Technically the chairs and lamps are not particularly minimal but I could not go with fully clear chairs in lucite or polycarbonate. I wanted upholstery for comfort. And I like lamps.

o
Commentary

I am not sure why people are so against pink. It'a actually a very flattering color for many skin types to surround oneself with. In comparison some of the really popular interior colors right now are not very flattering to people, and I doubt that most people even consider that when making a choice.

There isn't a kitchen in this particular thread that I really dislike. Usually I dislike some of them even though there is nothing particularly "wrong" or "the matter" with them. This includes my own contributions. Some of my contributions I like only to the extent that they are a solution to the parameters that have been set.

I think it is a bit easier to like these because the parameter isn't a style and as a relatively rigid person, I don't like to see kitchens that are primarily "transitional-contemporary" passed off as Victorian, Tudor, Colonial Revival etc. I know it's rigid and dogmatic, but I can't help it.

Anyway, I think all of these pink ones would work.

With regards to the comments on mine, I think the one that would be most "me" would be the pink-greige neoclassical one, the one that would be least me is "migraine" although I would do that for someone else, and the others fall in the middle. I agree about the green buffet in the SGTG kitchen but I think that is how a SGTG kitchen would play out, with an "accent": I would probably keep it more monochromatic.
I think the menswear kitchen would be less boring IRL than it plays out on the board. I've liked my other Colonial Revival kitchens better than this one.

o

Sochi, WHERE did you find those twig shelf brackets??? I so want them for my porch!

o

I have so enjoyed this thread. I always check out the design around this threads. You all are great and so knowlegable about style, fabrics etc. I always learn something from you. Thanks for doing these.

Pink is an emotional color for me. Somehow it just makes me feel good. And you are right,Palimpsest, it is a color that makes people look good. I have been known to use pink lightbulbs to make me look good at home.

o

singingmicki - I found the shelves on Etsy, follow the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Branch shelves

o

I know there are still a lot of people, who have pink kitchens they're working on...but a while back, someone suggested working on a real kitchen.

If I could request a storybook/fairy tale style kitchen, not too over the top, but a bit of english/french and whimsy...I'll volunteer my kitchen plan. Of course, if you don't want to do it, that's fine too, but since it's still in the planning stages, you all may come up with MUCH better ideas than I have.

Let me know if anyone wants to give it a try on a new thread (and I'll post the plan) and I'm open to changing things around a bit, too...as long as it's in the same footprint, has a banquette, a corner wood stove with a small seating area, and the sink looks out onto the sun porch. I'm going to go make a rum and coke now...because I can't believe I just did this! LOL But, I really would like to see your ideas :)

o

Sochi, I like the items you have assembled for this theme.

I had a hard time finding pink materials I liked at all. Maybe, few manufacturers or artists find it very profitable to offer lots of pink options...?

For me, it's almost impossible to find botanical theme tiles, with pink, that don't stray into Arts and Crafts style, and I am not sure any of these will fit your vision. Anyway, here is a motley collection, just in case any of them help. If you find a tile, maybe you can work from there. Maybe the botanical accent tile could be green or brown-based (easier to find) but still tie into a fabric?

From sanseitiles.com:
Photobucket

From earthsongtiles.com:
Photobucket

From stillwaterporcelain.com:
Photobucket

From Suzanne Crane at artscraftspotteryandtiles.com:
Photobucket

From painted-tiles.com:
Photobucket

o

These are great. One of these days i am going to try it. But sometimes I have trouble copying images to my computer. I didn't used to, whats up?

o

One thing that this thread has made me think about (as well as the Tudor thread) is taking something that is typically "masculine" or "feminine" and not use it that way.

o

Here's my pink kitchen, which is not too pink, because Victoria's husband does not want pink walls or pink cabinets. So, she has decided to use her love of gardening and english china to give her inspiration for her kitchen.

From Pink kitchen

From Pink kitchen

They decide that an english country kitchen suits both their styles. He likes the wood and she likes the curves and florals.

Cabinetry and appliances are mix of wood and cream

From Pink kitchen

Floral backsplash tile with Calcutta gold marble countertops

From Pink kitchen

From Pink kitchen

Antique brass faucet, fixtures and hardware

From Pink kitchen

With a little pink, over the sink area...

From Pink kitchen

A nice pedestal table and chairs with floral fabric...which is also used as valances on the bay window which overlooks the garden

From Pink kitchen

From Pink kitchen

From Pink kitchen

And a vintage chandelier that they're going to rehab and use over the table

From Pink kitchen

Victoria can't wait until it's finished, so she can have friends over for tea :)

From Pink kitchen

o
Oops!

Oops! I typed in Calcutta Gold marble, to try to find a countertop that would go with the brass. I just went back to look for something else and it looks like I have Crema Marfil marble, instead. Sorry about the mix up :)

o

Sochi, what about this dandilion print?

o

Sochi- For a country look with brick...I'd probably look for fabrics that have greens, golds, cranberry and/or brick reds and pink for your kitchen. Maybe try a search for rustic country fabrics and add the colors you want, to narrow the selection. I think you have a good start, with what you've already chosen :)

o

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone. This certainly is a good learning exercise for me.

I like that dandelion print very much. Mudhouse, thanks for the tile suggestions - finding tile was definitely the hardest part. I think your selection from stillwaterporcelain might just work. Good colour, suitably country-ish perhaps, I see a twig I think too?

I came up with a couple of tiles I liked, but had to reject because the first (on left, from historichouseparts.com) is way too Nouveau. I love, love the two photography tiles on the right (from junehunter.ca), but are they not too crisp, too modern?
OB-pink flower tiles

o

Sochi, I think those are beautiful tiles, and not too crisp/modern at all, IMO. The two you posted have pretty strong yellow/green undertones. She has some other pretty tiles without the yellow/green that might pull your sink into the mix more easily...?

(Not sure I found the right colorway for Cawap's pretty dandelion fabric.)

Photobucket

I have been struggling all day with a new pink idea and it's failing miserably...too bad to even post here for advice, at this point. So others may have better ideas!

o

As a lot of my designs do, this one started with the fabric. It is a contemporary floral, with pink, violet, magenta, and gray. Black outlines of the flower petals give the fabric kind of a pop art feel. Pop art led me to Warhol, which led me to the two prints in the dining area.

The whole pink/purple almost put me off, because they are 7-year-old-girl colors (my daughter is 7), and I wasn't sure if I could pull it off in a grown-up way. I like the end result more than I thought I would.

Details:
Appliances: Electrolux Wave Touch range (A.J. Madison); LG refrigerator (A.J. Madison); Marlow range hood from Rangecraft.
Cabinets: Slab front maple with painted lavender gray (leaning more toward lavender in this incarnation; I waffled a lot on the color, and kept switching between my laptop and desktop monitors which kept changing my opinion. Grayer cabs would obviously tone down the look)
Hardware: Atlas Homewares Cabana Club Periwinkle Knob (Discount Designer Hardware)
Counter: Solid surface, Strawberry Daquiri from Karadon
Backsplash: Chemetal metal laminate Extrovert
Drapery fabric:Flower Bed Blush from Art Gallery Fabrics Coquette Collection (Found Fabrics)
Sink: World Imports Stainless Apron Front from Home Depot
Faucet: Gessi Just Color with LED light effect
Floor: Mix of Daltile Color Schemes in Berry, Grapple and Uptown Taupe and Daltile Permabrites Chianti
Commercial Stainless Steel work table
Storage baskets: Raspberry Rose Madison basket from World Market; Restore Storage basket from Scandinavian Design Center
Art: The Shadow and Cow (Warhol)
Bliss modern metal dining chair (Decorium)
Dakota Jackson Arabesque Dining Table, color Azure, from ThisNext
The purple cabinet would be a custom paint job on an available wardrobe or hutch(image is from Cemaya Windows Blog).
Lighting: Possini Euro Lilypad Etched (2 sizes) and Scavo Amethyst Glass Tech Lighting Pendand, all from Lamps Plus

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I feel like the purple really takes precedence in this one. I like it but I don't think I would call it a pink kitchen if I saw it in real life.

I also think it's interesting that at the beginning of the thread there were really only graphic hints at floral and at the very end the thread started to veer into heavy florals as a part of the scheme. I think it is the association of pink with florals and daintiness that men would object to rather than the color pink in and of itself, kind of like being forced to wear a Jessica McClintock dress from the 80s instead of a pink polo from Ralph Lauren.

o

I don't really think we've been veering into heavy florals; the exchange of ideas over Sochi's project makes it look that way. My rose quartz kitchen had a floral backsplash. I think your contributions dominated the thread at the beginning, and you haven't been doing florals.

Lavender Lass's had lots of florals and was very feminine; Mudhouse's second one had floral wallpaper, but I think the floor pattern dominated. Schmeltz's second has leaves, not flowers.

Most of my designs started with fabric (even the ones that ended out without any fabric), and a lot of what I picked were florals. The ones with florals just took longer to gel, I think.

For all that I started with the fabric on the last (purple) one, I think it would work just as well if you threw out the fabric and replaced it with a tone-on-tone gray geometric. Do that, tone down the lavender of the cabinet, get rid of the pink storage basket and purple hutch, and it becomes a lot less dainty and less girly. But I still don't know how many guys would go for purple or pink in any form.

And I agree that it's a purple kitchen with pink in it and not a "pink kitchen." I did say pink had to be prominent but not necessarily dominant.

Here's the reworked purple kitchen.

Photobucket

o

Well, sure, I did a black kitchen with some pink in it; and a kitchen that was essentially "white" except that it was pink; and a grey one the same thing.

Since pink is so associated with florals I am just surprised they didn't show up earlier, but you're right, they generally will not show up in much of my stuff at all.

I like the second iteration of your last kitchen better, but I am not a pops of color person, I could suppress a color into pure monochromatic texture and be happy with it, even though I don't have anything like that myself.

So where do we go from here? Do we start something new? Do we take a break? I don't want to do these just for my own activity --although I do like doing them for my own activity--but I would like to continue only if it has continued interest to other people.

o

Well, this one ran over the holidays. Plus it was very hard to find images--pink is not currently on-trend for durable materials, although it is for more ephemeral goods like fashion. What I was surprised to see in the thread was very little use of pink with its complements, some are which are very popular today, such as turquoise, citrus green, light blue and so on. I started putting together a kitchen but didn't finish it, for the reasons I mentioned--too much work, too little time. I might just post what I've got and let other people help if they want!

Did we have '40s houses on our list? Or should we do French?

I also wonder if it might make sense to take a break but with a definite restart date, like a week from now or something.

o

I think we should continue to these threads--I think the issues this time were with this specific topic and the time of year (although it could be that interest is fading). I'm not sure if the pink thread still has life in it (in other words, how much of the problem was the topic and how much was the time of year).

I picked pink, so I will refrain from pushing an agenda this time. Lavender Lass has thrown out a couple of suggestions: French Country, and in this thread she invited us to do her kitchen: "If I could request a storybook/fairy tale style kitchen, not too over the top, but a bit of english/french and whimsy...I'll volunteer my kitchen plan." I'd like the next topic to pull people in, and I don't have a sense of whether either of those will do that.

And of course, here's the ongoing list:

Materials
Knotty pine
Metal cabinetry
Interesting tile (we can do this one over and over)
Vetrazzo
Marmoleum graphic series
Back-painted glass
Commercial Kitchens/Restaurant Supply

Defining the Home
Minimal traditional house from the '40s through the '70s
Tract house (specify decade? or any tract house?)
Spanish Colonial Revival
Craftsman
Prarie School
1930s
1940s
1950s
1960s
1970s
Pimp this kitchen (choose home/kitchen from real estate listing)
Beach House
Mash-up house (what do you do with a house that is already a mash-up of styles, like a Mission-style Queen Anne)

Theme/Decorating Styles
French Country
Steampunk
Eclectic
Starting from clothing fashions as your inspiration pic, design a kitchen that suits the era/mood/style
Rustic Modern Cottage
Hollywood Regency

Budget/Supply restrictions
$10K budget
Ikea kitchen (all Ikea?)
Mail order kitchen
Home Depot kitchen

Define the People
Mid-life crisis bachelor (or cougar) pad
Rabid sports fan wants to decorate in team colors

Presentation Strategies that Can Be Combined with Other Choices
This/Not That (Good taste/bad taste, works/doesn't work)
High/Low (same look, different budgets)

What we have done so far:
1) Apple Jasper
2) Colonial Revived
3) 1920's Kitchens and All That Jazz
4) Formica Patterns are Cooool!
5) Neo-Tuscan/TuscAmerican
6) I'm Dreaming of a White Kitchen, But...
7) Victorian/Queen Anne
8) Animal "Prints"
9) Keeping the Golden Oak
10) Tarting Up a Tudor (posted as #9)
11) Pink for the Present Day

o

Pink was tough. Do post your incomplete board Marcolo. I won't complete mine - I just don't have the vision I need for this one I think. Worthwhile trying though.

I'm taking next week off work (not going anywhere and the kids will be back at school - how decadent), so I'm all for doing another one, perhaps starting this weekend or early next week.

I think a number of non-regular posters have commented on how interesting and worthwhile these threads are, so I'm not too worried that we are doing it only for the interest of a few. At least I hope we're not.

French works for me.

o

I think we touched on some storybook in the Tudor thread and to some extent in the pink thread, so I would not want to do this right after these two: maybe in the future.

Maybe a decade or a particular house/decade: 50s Levitt, 60s split or ranch, 70s raised ranch, 80s vaulted contemporary (interior), 90s mini-McMansion, something along those lines.

I think we touched on 40s a bit with the tudor thread in terms of the cottagey houses. The early 40s went through a building stasis because of the war. They didn't even produce cars between 1942-46. Immediate postwar design was rather contemporary and not embraced by a whole lot of people over the long-term, it seems, imo.

o

This is as far as I got. I didn't even delete the stuff I don't want. But you can see where I was going. There's a whole young edge to pink-plus-a-complement right now that I think was missing from the thread. Anyway.
Photobucket
At the moment I am most interested in:

'30s or '40s houses done in a somewhat traditional way--it seems like a lot of people bring up houses like that and don't know what to do except the OTK. Or one of the other decades pal posted.

Hollywood Regency. It's seeing a resurgence now but not in kitchens so far.

Steampunk. Not a lot of practical application but it would be fun and get people energized, I think. Fantasy styles seem to do that.

o

I really don't have preferences about the direction for future threads, at this point. Steampunk does sound like fun, at some point. But so far I seem to learn from anything I try, and most of it is all new to me anyway.

I am working on a young artist industrial/loft pink board because I got tired of letting myself be pulled into "pretty cuteness" by the color, and wanted to see if I could do pink using masculine materials. But as you can imagine, industrial pink images barely exist. I'll probably post it here eventually, but I have no problem in doing that after other threads have started, too. I have been surprised at how enjoyable these are for my own pleasure, as it has been a while since I've let myself work steadily on something creative.

These threads rock, and they are helping me a lot.

o

I think the minimalist pink kitchen was my attempt to do something "loft". The menswear one is masculine, but traditional, not edgy, of course. For the most part I think I tried to stay gender neutral, except with the peacock-feather one.

A designer who taught me, a generation older, said that in his experience men (in that generation anyway) were pretty accepting of sleeping in master bedrooms that were pink, peach, floral, feminine --colorwise, and were the same about other rooms except their dens or offices. What they Didn't like was "feminine" textures: ruffled bedding or upholstery, lace-trimmed sheets, satiny or filmy things--the feel of it was more objectionable than the color of it.

o

Pal, I can see the "loft" in the minimalist pink board. I liked the menswear board a lot too, as well as Cawap's board inspired by the houndstooth fabric. I wanted to see if I could do something less refined/polished and more ugly/raw/rough by looking for rough textures like peeling wood, rusty steel, concrete...but with tinges of pink.

However, it's so hard to find material, I think it would be faster for me to buy steel, paint it pink, wait five years for it to rust, take pics, and do my board (!)

Here are some of the materials I have been playing with so far, for what it's worth. As you can see there isn't much pink here. I had thought to use a large graffiti mural on the wall for raw motion/pink color (a company that makes custom murals from stock photos.) It's fun to play with, anyway.

Photobucket

o

Palimpsest - I have found that to be true about men with pink in the home. I have almost always had a pink bedroom with no objection from the first or second husband.

In fact, 2 of my homes have been very heavily pink throughout. My husband never said a peep about the pink until I started picking out fabrics for our guest bedroom in this house.

He asked me not to use pink, as he wanted to make sure his male friends would be comfortable staying there. While the pink didn't bother him, he was afraid it would bother others.

I will have to look for pictures of my all stainless steel kitchen - every cabinet and counter was stainless steel inside and out, and the walls were big pink and blue flowers. It was my all time favorite house - a 1960's contemporary.

o

This isn't fully fleshed out. Palimpsest's menswear design (which I thought was great; took me back to high school) kept making me think that it ought to have argyle in some form.

I figured you could do an argyle pattern with rhombus tile. I faked this with geometric shapes, but Barbara Barry has a 4x6 rhombus (at Ann Sacks) in a variety of colors including pink, or you could use square tiles on the diagonal the same way (I don't like that as well, but you'd have more choices of tile color, including all of Ann Sacks Elements colors)

Photobucket

o

Oh, I love the argyle pattern idea.

o

Better pick #12 quickly. Somebody who never even posted in this thread took it on themselves to dictate a new topic.

Also, people reading this, please stop using "Design Around" as the title of your own kitchen posts. The point of naming is so people can identify and find things. Otherwise we'd all be called John. Use "My mood board" or something.

o

I'd love to see something French, but after the pink...maybe something else for next week? Then in a week or two, it would be fun to do a french ______. Maybe we could each decide what kind of french we want to do, French Country, something Parisian, French fairy tale (I'll use that hardware yet LOL) French modern, etc.

It's so funny that my post was seen as feminine and floral, because I thought you would all tease me that I didn't have enough pink. It's mostly wood and cream with a bit of pink on the backsplash, fabric and china...and that little light fixture. I thought that was cute :)

o

Pal indicated on the surprise #12 that he was inclined to run with it (up-cycled kitchens). I'm torn. If it were Sochi, or Roarah, or Mudhouse, or any of the folks who have been posting regularly on these threads, I don't think I would be so irritated. But I literally searched all the past threads for Senator13's name, and he/she has never posted.

So do we declare the other thread defunct and start something new, or do we roll with it?

I wasn't going to vote on this one, I'd be cool with most of the topics that have been suggested. I've been thinking ahead on Hollywood Regency and steampunk, and 60s and 70s kitchens have come up a bit in putting together other threads.

I do think we need to do a minimal traditional home at some point, but I can't get excited about those houses. That's probably why we need the thread.

Lavender Lass, I also think we should tackle one of your topics in a week or two. Would you rather do a broad related topic (French Country, say), or have people specifically pimp your kitchen? Both "pimp this kitchen" and the generic notion of doing a home for a specific client are on the list, and we haven't done that yet.

o

Cawaps- I said this on the other thread, too...'pimping' my kitchen is too funny! LOL

I'm in no hurry to do my kitchen, I just thought I'd be brave and offer my plan. It's not a real kitchen, yet, so it might be easier to throw ideas around. Summerfield has already made some changes (which I really like) and I'm open to other ideas, too. As long as I get a few whimsical/fairy tale ideas, I don't care if people want to try some more 'radical' ideas, too...even steampunk, although I'm not sure what that is.

If you want to do the other #12 thread, that's cool, but why not make a Plan 12A or something? Then you could do both. I vote for something rustic or manly this time...to balance out the pink. We know there were some wonderful kitchens...and some that weren't very feminine either, but the 'general public' probably didn't realize that. Although they should read our threads, right? :)

o

As an avid reader of the DAT threads it seems to me there is a good case for ignoring the preemptive attempt. Part of my interest in these threads is how you decide what to make the focus of a given thread. That decision process seems to me (of course totally uninformed about design) to be part of the design process. Thus I am in favor of ignoring the post by the Senator and beginning a DAT 12 decided by those who contribute.

Thank you to those of you who put the time and effort into these very informative posts.

o

Is there any way these threads can be archived somewhere?

Again, just loving all the options on this thread.

o

I posted on the other one too.

The threads are already not complete if you go back to the beginning because of broken links and lost pictures and such so these threads really may be ephemeral in nature.

The problem is that it takes so many pictures and uploads that it taxes individual's photosharing accounts.

I got "close to exceeding bandwidth" warnings from photobucket in November and December, I have been putting the photos in separate files but I did accidentally get rid of a couple. I have over 1000 photos just for GW stuff.

I would still be okay doing the Upcycle just because...I dunno...I do want to encourage participation and not come off as hierarchical. Even though the new thread did just pop out of nowhere, there was not any explicitly stated direction that about Not doing that. I think it was implicit, but I also think that some people just look at the pictures and just skip over the verbage, and may have missed the process of how we move ahead.

o

I actually think that Upcycle is a pretty good topic (I probably would have called it Architectural Salvage), and I don't think we've done a "supply chain" type project. I'm just a bit peeved about the process.

However, if nobody pre-empts with a DAT 12A, I'll do a salvage kitchen.

In terms of achiving and photostorage capacity, one of the reasons I switched to doing collages instead of linking directly to photos hosted elsewhere on the web was so things wouldn't disappear. At least this way, I'm in control of how long the collages stay in my account. I only put the final collages on Photobucket; the rest are on my laptop (and there is quite a lot of it, as my IT guy noted when he had to move everything over after my recent virus incident).

o

I'm not interested in the upcycle thread. It's already introduced a bad vibe from the usual complainers about the GW "clique." If it continues down that road it may get pulled anyway, regardless of the good content added.

Plus, I am not sure of the wisdom of catering to those who not only don't post in the threads (which is one thing) but don't bother to actually read them, which is another thing entirely. We've been very clear about extending the welcome mat to lurkers, and the discussions about new projects have been very open. It takes a serious lack of effort to overlook that. It's rude.

o

While I agree Marcolo, I have also been on the other end of this situation, although I think even more unwittingly.

I had belonged to another forum where, after being a member for several weeks, started a thread along the lines of this, although a different topic.Anyway it was about theory, and ideas and not at all focused on helping one person pick out a specific faucet or whatever. A couple other posters and I discussed the theoretical at length and the thread usually went until they were closed by the amount of posts.

After a while a few women in particular started to pick and grumble and complain that these threads had outlived their welcome, they were "hifalutin nonsense" that didn't help anybody with the problem at hand, and if I was so good howcum nobody ever saw pictures of My house, etc.

I was predisposed to ignore it, but then I started receiving some private messages about how perhaps I had better back off a little bit. See, apparently the three women who started the complaining were used to being the 'authority' on that thread, and I had "upset the natural order" by starting a popular thread, when I was such a new comer. They left the other woman who posted a lot in the thread alone, because she had been there for a couple of years.

It also came out that there had been a number of private emails going back and forth that I was actually "a former member who had been kicked off the forum, and was playing the innocent newcomer who was going to suddenly start to make trouble again, when people least expected it"

I am not making any of this up.

So anyway, yes I think the way this came about sucks. If you had read the "Design Around" threads at all as opposed to looking at the pictures, you would have some idea of how it worked. However I don't want to be accused of cliquishness either, by making a big deal about it.

I have also had trouble on this forum from the occasional member who feels that if you post in any way that sounds as if you are teaching somebody something that they don't know that it is condescending because we are all peers. (?)

So I don't want to perpetuate this feeling that there is cliquishness based on exclusion. I think there are cliques because there are people who contribute a lot and people who know a lot about particular subjects, but the way to lessen this, for the grumblers would be to post more and to do some learning on your own.

o

Senator13 apologized and explained that s/he didn't understand the process.

I posted a proposal on the other thread to yank that thread, add upcyling/salvage to the master list, and re-enter the discussion for #12. We can always choose upcycling by consensus, but we'll start fresh without all the negative posts, which I think ultimately damage these threads.

o

pal, I hear you. However, in my entire life, online and off, I cannot think of one instance where somebody whining about "cliques" could ever be appeased.

There are some longitudinal studies that indicate a massive increase in the incidence of narcissistic personalities in the U.S. The numbers are now huge. You could call them the Carly Simons, in your terms. They think the entire purpose of the rest of the human race is to pet them, praise them, and pay attention to them. Any deviation is "hurtful," and any hurt they feel proves they are right, good helpless victims. So they can lash out any way they want, because they are the victims. They bash, bully, insult, whatever, but they're always the victims. You're wrong because you failed at your most important job, making them feel good. They especially resent any attention at all paid to other people instead of them and become envious and angry, so they have to denigrate and insult anybody they think is stealing their thunder. It's hard to avoid getting lumped into this group of interlopers, because to them, the only ones who deserve any attention at all is themselves.

Anyway, as I have said, I have never seen any success in appeasing them.

So I guess the next thread should start off with "rules" about how to start threads? Interesting, because a couple threads ago we had complaining about "too many rules"--from someone who never contributed anything to any of the threads.

I am up for pretty much any topic on our list. Although I think we should aim for fun rather than super-difficult, because I think the pink challenge was hard due to lack of materials.

o

I'm up for almost anything too. I'd especially like to do French (lets keep it open, i.e. French country/French modern/ etc.) I would also really like to do something rustic. I had suggested Modern Rustic some time ago - perhaps it could just be rustic and we can interpret however we like.

Can I add another possible topic (I know, we already have so many, but):

- Swedish (or just Scandi maybe) (I rec'd two Swedish design books for Christmas, so I'm learning about Gustavian and of course Swedish modern)

Today (first day of my of holidays) I used a gift card I rec'd in December and picked up a book entitled "Interiors: The Home Since 1700" by Steven Parissien. Hopefully I'll learn a little about all the different periods and times often referenced in these threads. If any of you have any other books to recommend, please let me know. No doubt I'll have all sorts of other ideas for threads as I get through the book. :)

o
asdf

I wouldn't throw a fit over French--I've actually suggested it in other threads--and I hate to disappoint lavender who has been a great participant. I'm wondering if it's too similar to some of the recent challenges? But I'll go either way.

o

I'm still active and interested in pink! Just sidelined by vacation in the past 2 weeks + family holiday responsibilities, as I imagine many other participants may be.

I'm going to suggest to Senator13 that we turn herthread into an existing kitchens, i.e., examples of upcycling thread, and share some pix of mine. Thus we can save her great idea (I do like the idea very much) for use as a future DAT.

o

I'd be inclined to save French for #13 or #14. I thought a 1960s home might be fun, what with Mad Men being so popular and all. I think Hollywood Regency would also be fun and not too difficult to find things.

The last two were a home style (Tudor) and a theme (Pink). French is another theme. We could do a material this time. Or a budget or supply chain restriction. Those lists are short, though compared to house style, so I have no problem going back to a house style.

Updated list, with Scandinavian and architectural salvage:

Materials
Knotty pine
Metal cabinetry
Interesting tile (we can do this one over and over)
Vetrazzo
Marmoleum graphic series
Back-painted glass
Commercial Kitchens/Restaurant Supply

Defining the Home
Minimal traditional house from the '40s through the '70s
Tract house (specify decade? or any tract house?)
Spanish Colonial Revival
Craftsman
Prarie School
1930s
1940s
1950s
1960s
1970s
Pimp this kitchen (choose home/kitchen from real estate listing)
Beach House
Mash-up house (what do you do with a house that is already a mash-up of styles, like a Mission-style Queen Anne)

Theme/Decorating Styles
French Country
Steampunk
Eclectic
Starting from clothing fashions as your inspiration pic, design a kitchen that suits the era/mood/style
Rustic Modern Cottage
Hollywood Regency
Scandinavian

Budget/Supply restrictions
$10K budget
Ikea kitchen (all Ikea?)
Mail order kitchen
Home Depot kitchen
Architectural salvage/upcycle/recycle

Define the People
Mid-life crisis bachelor (or cougar) pad
Rabid sports fan wants to decorate in team colors

Presentation Strategies that Can Be Combined with Other Choices
This/Not That (Good taste/bad taste, works/doesn't work)
High/Low (same look, different budgets)

What we have done so far:
1) Apple Jasper
2) Colonial Revived
3) 1920's Kitchens and All That Jazz
4) Formica Patterns are Cooool!
5) Neo-Tuscan/TuscAmerican
6) I'm Dreaming of a White Kitchen, But...
7) Victorian/Queen Anne
8) Animal "Prints"
9) Keeping the Golden Oak
10) Tarting Up a Tudor (posted as #9)
11) Pink for the Present Day

o

Maybe tract house? I've noticed a lot of people on the forum, trying to figure out how to open up their tract houses...whether it's to make a bigger kitchen/eating area or a great room sitation.

I'd be fine with doing french in a week or two, but thanks for the kind words, Marcolo. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you have, as far as French kitchen ideas :)

o

Tract house was suggested but I think that it was subsumed into minimal traditional, which is more descriptive of the style. Is that right, design-savvy folks? I had never heard the term minimal traditional before these threads, but it seems to describe homes with minimal trims/built-ins/surface detail, that are fundamentally traditional homes. They were common in tract housing in the post-war period, but emerged earlier during the Depression, possibly to cut construction costs.

Anyway, I think that minimal traditional gets at the same issue people are talking about when they talk about designing for tract houses. But maybe one of the other design folks can pipe up if they think we should have both in.

o

Perhaps a compromise is a 1960s tract house? Many of those are perforce minimal traditional, so the ideas would apply to homes of other eras as well. I'm thinking not of full-on midcentury modern homes, which were not really all that common, but of more basic styles that toned down both traditional and modern elements into something more bland. This way, participants would be free to do MCM, traditional, transitional or whatever; in fact, that's the beauty of that housing style.

I would suggest that whoever starts the thread show some pictures of these types of houses, so people know what we're talking about.

Again, I'll go along happily with other ideas as well.

o

OK...I've given a pink kitchen a try. Didn't get as far as I'd like, and I'll tell you after trying, I am in total awe of those of you who do this regularly. I can't imagine houw you have the time and energy! I just gave up trying to actually find a picture of cabinets I would want or photoshopping anything to look the way it really should!

OB-cherry blossom kitchen2

Plain slab cabinets in dark stained oak.
Rustic table as island, topped with a slab of pink granite Round stainless steel prep sink
Wall color...BM a la mode.
Cambria Torquay perimeter countertops
Rose red mosaic stone backsplash.
Carbonized bamboo flooring
Shoji screen door

The picture of the cherry blossoms with the Jefferson Memorial hangs in my DC office...it was the inspiration.

o

Thank you to each of you DAT designers...I have enjoyed every one of the Design Around projects. It is so much fun to see the way you pinpoint a theme...zero in... and then nail it! Very impressive. Will be looking forward to whichever one you all pick for the next one.

o

I've fallen behind on my comments.

Pal #8 menswear: You really nailed the menswear look. I can practically smell old money when I look at this. I especially like the pink tone-on-tone wall covering. As I mentioned, this was what got me thinking "argyle," because to me preppy and argyle go hand in hand. Not that I think yours would be improved with argyle, just that that's where my brain went.

Mudhouse Tudor: I really love the floor. The whole thingk works together well. It would have been great on the Tudor thread as well.

Schmeltz mauve/China Rose: That marble is really pretty. In terms of color, for me this one strays across the blurry boundary into purple, but I like it anyway. You used an interesting mix of traditional and contemporary elements.

Schmeltz pigs: This was inspired. I love the pig mosaic. The whole kitchen is really fun.

Sochi: I don't think the fabric in you first post matches the muted colors of the inspiration pics, which is why I suggested the dandilion fabric (it has a gray background). I think combining pink with rustic is a challenge.

Pal #9, Pink Minimalist: I really like this one. It is surprisingly mellow and comfortable, more so than a white minimalist kitchen would be.

Lavender Lass: I didn't realize how not-pink yours was until you made that comment. Part of it is presentation: the image sizes aren't proportional to the role of the material in the kitchen. In any case, there's plenty of pink there, and the whole look is very romantic. I had that lamp saved to my pink file too.

Marcolo pink/blue: This one is very fun and youthful. I'm not normally a fan of pink and blue together (makes me think of baby showers), but this works well.

Mudhouse Industrial: I like this one and can totally see where you are going--and empathize with your frustration in not finding the materials you want. As it is, it is almost-pink, but enough so that I can see that it would totally work.

Melissastar: If this is your first design, congratulations! (and if it's not, I apologize for not having a better memory). I like the Japanese elements. I don't think the cabinet color quite works with the floor color, but that's a minor tweak (warmer stain on the cabs would be better, I think.)

I'll second Marcolo's 60s tract home suggestion. Or, if nobody really has a strong opinion, we could go with architectural salvage.

o

wow I am "tickled Pink" by these boards!!! Cawaps I like all of your entries but I love your brown and pink board best! Mudhouse I Like both of yours aswell but the industrial is something I would love to see in real life.
Pal, your brooks bros. is my fav!
Schmetz what a hard first challenge and what great designs you submitted! I am very impressed.

I was abroad on holiday so I could not play. But I tried my hand at pink and although not my best work it is sentimental in that years ago in my home town there was a penny candy shop with a tin ceiling and lots of pink accents. It was a warm and happy space and I was unable to get that image out of my head when trying for a pink kitchen design. So here is my homage to that shop.
Photobucket

o

As a placeholder to keep up the participation, I'll repost my "Flamingo Pink Loft" kitchen from the laminate thread. It's was pretty emphatically pink!

I'm still working on a salmon pink kitchen to contribute, but I can't quite beat it into submission.

(Ikea grey cabinets, flamingo photo wall mural, Wilsonart rose laminate white terazzo floors, hot pink spiral staircase, yada,yada.)
Photobucket

I was thinking knotty pine or mid life crisis for the next. One would be hard and one would be wild. After the bit of donneybrook, maybe one that is way out there, far reaching, and welcoming to newbies wacky ideas would be good? Who couldn't love something done like an In Like Flynt's bachelor pad? (Or Austin Powers for the younger generation.)

o

Roarah - that is a really nice backsplash. What is the name of it? I like your stools, too. Pretty design overall.

o

LWO, I've thought of that kitchen often throughout this thread. I still find it too far over the top to say anything useful about it, but, wow, it's exhuberant. The one concrete observation I had was that I think the scale of the rose laminate would have a camouflaging effect--essentially, I think you would put down a spoon and not be able to find it again (I exaggerate a bit, but I really think it would have that effect--a friend of mine had Vetrazzo and said he would lose his keys on the counter--the roses would be worse, I think.) That particular pattern better as a backsplash, I think.

Roarah, very sweet. It makes me nostalgic, and I don't have a candy shop in my past.

I'd be okay with mid-life crisis, too.

o

I really like--and want to point out--the varied directions people have explored in free-associating the "meaning" of the pink. A revered candy shop. Brooks Brothers. Cherry blossoms (cool!). The seashore. Even pal's digression into that 1980s NJ Playboy Club aesthetic. This is a really great example of brainstorming.

o

Whiteriversooner, the tile is pink marble sticks. Here is the link to the supplier.

I am up for whatever is next but I really do like the idea of a reused green kitchen in the future, after the drama has faded a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: pink marble sticks

o

I posted this to the other thread, but wanted to post it here because I imagine (and sort of hope) that thread will be deleted. Anyhow! :-)
I haven't participated in the DAT threads yet, but would like to and even checked out Olioboard yesterday. Maybe one of you could make a "DAT - FYI" thread? Include the purpose/history, what mediums to use (Olioboard, Photoshop, etc,), useful tips, and guidelines? Then maybe each new thread could link to it and anyone new to the site will have a point of reference. Just a thought... Some things could be technical, but if you know that one company in particular has a great selection of cabinets to grab pictures of, maybe that could even be included to help the newbies along? I'd be happy to help organize the info too.

o

roarah - that candy store is wonderful! What a great job you've done.

And thank you - you've brought back wonderful memories for me too. Your candy store reminds me of a wonderful fruit/caviar/sweets store in St. Petersburg (Russia). See the picture below - you can't really see the pink in this photo, but it is there. It is an amazing, wonderful space. The next picture is the outside of the bldg.
Eliseev
56 Nevskij

Now I know what I should have tried for this thread - a pink apartment in St. Petersburgh. There are loads of WONDERFUL pink (salmon?) buildings in Petersburgh, check this one out, always my favourite:
My favourite bldg

Hmmm, maybe I should try an imperial Russian pink kvartira (apartment), something to go with the exterior of the salmon building??

o
Lost in the shuffle

This isn't pink but I wanted to post the kitchen from Green Demolitions that Senator13 mentioned specifically. I thought it was interesting and I didn't want it to get lost in the sociological shuffle.

It was featured on the cover of a book, and now lay disassembled in a warehouse in CT. As with many things of this nature I was surprised at how forlorn it looked in the warehouse, by comparison. Some of the more ordinary kitchens manage to hold their identity and dignity in the warehouse (Maybe because we see them at Home Depot that way), but the fancy ones just look "cast adrift".

I notice this at a used furniture place up the street. There is some really Good furniture that ends up there as third hand from Med students who got it from their rather upper middle houses as second hand. It always looks much worse on the sidewalk in it's disheveled custom has-been-ness than the used IKEA does. Displacement seems to affect some things more than others.
Photobucket

o

Thanks, Chris11895. I think an "About" thread for Design Around This is a brilliant idea. It would give us a forum for instructions, guidelines (rules? informal culture?), testimonials, etc. I think some of the lurkers have this wacky idea that they aren't "talented" enough to do a board, when most of us had never tried such a thing before these threads and have been getting better and better through sheer practice.

I'd be happy to start the thread and cover the history of DAT, some of the formal and informal rules and processes, tell how I got started and post how I use Microsoft Word to do boards. Unless someone else wants to start it?

I haven't used Olioboard enough to post about it, and I've never used Photoshop. I'm not even sure what other options there are. So I'd need some other folks to step up with follow-ups.

o

I think it would be useful to include a short, boilerplate how-to FAQ at the end of every DAT OP. I can guarantee if you do an actual, separate FAQ someone will demand to know who you think you are to set rules. People actually complain about buehl's FAQ this way.

Wow, tragic about that Green Demolitions kitchen. It's not something I would choose to do myself, but if I bought that house I'd work with it. Such a waste! Glad it's being recycled.

pal, your comments remind me of "Empire of the Sun." There's a scene where all the dispossessed English aristocrats pass their former heirloom belongings scattered across a field. Surreal.

o

I think one of the issues with this kitchen is that it was built in a showroom, and possibly as a set-piece for the book and it was never a "real" kitchen. I may be wrong. However, they only have parts of it for sale, so I wonder of some of the cabinets were simply doors over nothing.

I think another analogy is how much worse DUI mugshots of celebrities look than our neighbor's mugshots. Maybe deep down, celebrities are uglier than the average person, but just have more support staff. But when they aren't on call...watch out.

o

Marcolo- I think it's a great idea to do a 1960's tract house, as the next DAT. Then, we could do a 'Mad Men' kitchen, a tract house being remodeled into more open spaces...or both, open with a little retro. This is going to be fun! :)

o

People complain about Buehl's FAQ? Wow. Really?

I just think we can be more comprehensive with a separate thread. Unlike Buehl's, we wouldn't need to bump to keep it on page 1, just link to it from each new thread. We could still summarize, but we'd be able to be more detailed.

o

Just had to comment....Marcolo, you are just about the only other person that I've met who's seen Empire of the Sun. I watched it because I'll watch anything with John Malkovitch in it, even borderline dreck. And what a discovery Christian Bale was!

Still working on pink...........

o

I tried pink. Really, I did. I looked for inspiration in things that were naturally pink (Cadillacs,flamingos, pigs). I am glad others had better luck finding inspiration. I just dove, headlong from inspiration into kitsch. I couldn't avoid it. I don't think it was all Pink's fault. I, personally, have a harder time with the really open ended challenges. I have a harder time finding a place to start from if there is so much room to move around in the challenge. My shortcoming. No one else's.

I do like these threads and checked the pink one often even though I didn't have any success making a Cadillac inspired kitchen that didn't look like a 90's era chain restaurant. ;) Like Marcolo said, pink was hard to find. Materials were not abundant.

I do like the architectural salvage/upcycle idea. I also like the idea of the snazzy doorway posted as a possible launching pad. I'll try most anything...even pink...I just may, or may not, succeed.

As for comments in the "other" thread. I commented that I had not liked the recent use of this type of title as bait for someone wanting quick help with their kitchen. I want to be CLEAR that I was not commenting on the option to pimp out Lavender's space. I was referring to the other thread where someone tried to "trick" us to view the thread by using the title. I'd love to take a crack at Lavender's kitchen. Isn't it the one with the bunny and chickadee backsplash? Am I mistaken? If so, sorry.

o
tract house...

60's tract house. There are a TON of those around here. We have to be careful though. Most of them around here have the dreaded golden oak. Marcolo...shield your eyes. At least we don't post "before" pictures.

o

Doggonegardener- Yes, I have the backsplash with the bunnies and chickadees! LOL I'd be only too happy if you'd like to take a crack at my kitchen...I can use all the help I can get :)

o

My goodness, take a brief break, and all sorts of things happen! I have a family member in the hospital currently so I may be AWOL some of the time, but you can bet I'll be popping in as I can.

Cawaps, I have thought about starting some kind of thread with info on building boards, working with photos, etc. If one is started, I'll be happy to contribute too, as I can. I think it could be a pretty long-lived thread that folks could contribute to, as they have time, and that others could post specific questions to. I am not a computer whiz, but I know there are some kitchen forum members that are very knowledgeable, and maybe some of those would join in too (even if they have not been particpants in these Design threads.) My guess is, there are lots of folks who would like to participate, but just need some help getting over the hurdle of manipulating images.

Omigosh, Sochi, that pink building in Petersburgh is just wonderful. I have a feeling you could take that idea and run with it, if you are so inclined!

LiveWireOak, thanks for posting that kitchen again. I was not paying a lot of attention to these Design threads at that time (I have no idea what was wrong with me) and I missed seeing it. In fact, I kinda wondered why nobody was pulling a flamingo motif into the mix, in this thread. Glad to see it!

Thanks for the encouragement on my "industrial pink" pile of materials...I think I have it about half done and will definately complete it, at some point. That one is the one that is most "me" and I will enjoy working on it when I have more time.

o

I nominate pal to post the #12 60s tract home, since he'll know how to post examples without manhandling people into MCM if they don't want it.

cawaps, you're probably right about the FAQ. However, I 100% reserve the right to do the toldja-so dance if given the opportunity.

o

I googled "1960's tract home" and the images that came up were very varied. Some were what I was thinking of from my own area and other were decidedly not. Can you post some exterior photos of suitable sample homes that can serve to guide us? It'd be much appreciated!

Ne

o

Design muse for this kitchen is a backsplash in pinkish 3" square brick-look copper quartzite tiles that ranged from blue-ish to pinks to greens I saw at Tile shop this week, but I can't find it online so this quartzite at Home Depot will do. Kraftmaid square recessed panel "canvas" (I can't find cabinets that have more gray, but that's what I really want, a dusty gray-white, perhaps painted. I don't care what the cabinet door style is. choose whatever you like just paint them gray-white/driftwood or this mellowed cream and if you like glazing, go with a grayish glaze.) Ceiling fixture has recycled aluminum curls--let's do four to six of these recycled Varaluz 26 x 26 pinwheel babies around the perimeter of the work area like ceiling-hugging hedghogs. Add undercab lighting for the balance of the lighting. "Cabernet" stone countertops keep us from feeling too much at least, but starchy pink roman shade with a dark brown or warm gray velvet ribbon trim will add a little discipline (Quality Roman Shades). Sink is Kohler Cursive™ Design on Alcott™ tile-in sink in "translucent cashmere." Choose any silvery-like faucet you like and any stainless steel appliances you love and can afford. (I wouldn't want a faucet that looks like it belongs in a commercial kitchen, though.) Add Ikea stainless Grundtal shelving all over the place. Floor is cork Durocork Ulysse Oyster Cork. These "pewter" stools are from Overstock. Encore Editions puts out this Geo. Bellows painting of "The Pink Scarf" so cheap that a new flashy aluminum frame will look plenty tony.

o

On a very different note....
Need a very pink but never old-fashioned fabric to work with? Try Marimekko's Lumimarja sateen fabric in its "Fuschia" colorway. Currently on sale in tablecloth lengths at Crate and Barrel. (I'm using a very different colorway in my own kitchen.)

Nothing old fashioned about this print--the branch runs right down the center and the edges are solid black. Anyone find a muse here?

Here is a link that might be useful: Marimekko tablecloth on sale

o
New challenge idea?

As for a new "Design Around" challenge, why not take that awful brick and laminate and colored appliance home for sale that we've been discussing and require that the designer work with it -- requirement being that it's a budget re-do and at least one existing "feature" needs to be retained?

Goal is to make the house sellable.

o

Florantha, OMG what a great idea! "Designed to Sell" on the super cheap with Dianalo's world's awfulest kitchen that makes your eyes bleed.

The whole "what should I do, I'm putting my house on the market and will already lose gazillions" thread is seen on here a lot, so it's a very valid, if limiting, design thread and could be used with any number of kitchens. The "Keeping the Golden Oak" was semi in that vein, albeit with a bit more imaginary budget.

o

Is pal or cawaps gonna start the '60s thread?

o

Vlad was born and raised in St. Petersburg, a company man who raised through the ranks. His job keep he and his wife in Moscow for the most part, with frequent travel required. Vlad tries to spend as much time as he can in his beloved "Peter", so he acquired a former communal flat on Nevski Prospekt not too far from the Winter Palace and converted it into his pad. Vlad has a bit of a Tsar complex and a taste for luxury and he wanted to try to reproduce an imperial tsarist space, using mostly antiques. Like so many Petersburg buildings, his bldg is a salmon pink, a well loved imperial Russian colour. He opted to bring that colour into his flat.

Of course kitchens like this did not exist in early 20th Century Russia, so I've mostly created a living room. I had trouble finding appropriate cabinetry, but the feel of the desk used in my mood board is similar to the cabinets I was looking for. Appliances would be panelled, the salmon marble would be both counter and backsplash. Let's be honest - Vlad doesn't cook much, this is a show piece.

The chairs and table shown are actually from the Winter Palace, recently auctioned off for $560K. Most other items are from 1st Dibs and other auction sites. The painting depicts the wedding of Nicolas and Alexandra in Moscow (reproduction). The fabric in the upper left area of the board is wallpaper (from a Palace on Nevski actually), area rug below. The gray herring bone floors are quite typical.

OB-2Imperial Petersburgh Kitchen

Vlad wants to use the young Russian master named Oleg Cherkasov, who created this chest of drawers below, to do his kitchen cabinets.
chest-of-drawers

o

Sochi, awesome! The swan faucet is the piece de resistance.

Marcolo, I wasn't planning on posting the 60s tract house, mostly because I don't know enough about architecture and kitchens of the period (and you had nominated Pal). But I'm willing to do the research and post, if y'all are willing to wait while I educate myself. And I don't want to cross post with Pal if he's already putting something together.

But if neither you nor Pal (or anyone else) wants to take it on, I'll do. Just let me know clearly that I'm taking the lead.

o

Has anyone come across this kitchen before? Quite something. There is some pink in there.
gold leaf kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to more pictures of this kitchen

o

Wah! Not fair. This thread isn't done yet. Don't start another one until pink becomes exhausted.

o

The old threads usually continue a bit after the new ones start. I just want to hear from pal before we give cawaps the go-ahead.

Those kitchens are amazing, sochi. They really are about bringing the old living room or salon into the kitchen. As pal has pointed out, the rest of the house really has to measure up to it.

o

Great colours florantha, that quartzite square tile backsplash is pretty cool. The scarf painting is fab.

LWO and florantha - ugh, that kitchen again. The only element you could possibly keep is the stove I think.

marcolo - that is exactly right re: bringing the salon into the kitchen. You need a special place to pull it off, agreed. Vlad's apartment could pull it off - crazy high ceilings, great floors, just dress it up. Here are some real photos of the interior of the pink building I posted earlier. Tsarist Russia REALLY embraced pink in all its forms.
interior
interior 2
interior 3

I should try to do a more budget sensitive new world Russian emigre take on an Imperialist Russian salon/kitchen. But if budget is an issue I'd probably run into problems finding the photos.

o

Sochi- You have inspired me to give up the self-sufficient lifestyle I know and move to Russia. Wow, everything is gorgeous!

I have to admit, the more I see all of these pink kitchens, the more tempted I am to have a pink kitchen. Everyone has had such great ideas. Some I obviously couldn't do, but there are others that I could sneak parts of in, and I don't think anyone would walk in and say "wow, you have a pink kitchen".

o

If we do the black and brick budget kitchen keeping one existing item as a challenge someday, will it count if I keep the window? ;)

Ne

o

Before you pack your bags Schmeltz, here is a picture of a more typical Russian kitchen. Still pink though! Do visit though, St. Petersburg is quite incredible.
russian kitchen

o

If I have time, I want to design a pink room around a "Tobacco Leaf" China trade plate. Hope to get the time. If someone else wants to start that one, please do.

o

Well that pink kitchen isn't nearly as breathtaking as the others, but when the kids are older I would love to go see Russia, Italy, the west coast, really anywhere but Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky :)

o

Ohh Sochi I am yearning now to go to St petersburg. Your pics are just lovely!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here