Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apron sink doesn't fit in the cabinet base!

Posted by ElectraToo (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 23:15

Cross-posted to the Woodworking Forum.

This is just one of many crises I'm juggling at the end of this homebuilding project. I don't think I can handle it if this can't be fixed easily so I am hoping someone here has a solution I can try.

I have a 9 foot island in the kitchen which has been built to accommodate a copper apron front sink that is 33x22x9. The link to the sink specs were provided to the cabinet maker as the sink had not yet arrived by the time they were ready to start building.

The sink manufacturers are not kidding when they say dimensions can vary up to 1/4" in any direction.

So now my lovely cabinets are in, and the sink has arrived, but it doesn't fit. It is exactly 1/4" higher than the top of the cabinets. Therefore, granite cannot be installed until the sink is somehow made flush with the cabinets. Naturally it couldn't be too low; it had to be too high. I'm about ready to slit my wrists.

What is the best way to approach this problem? Do we add 1/4" plywood or something to the top of the cabinet so the sink has something to rest on? Or does the base the sink is resting on have to be cut out and dropped down 1/4"? If the latter, this would also involve having to cut the bar across the front face of the cabinet as well. Neither one of these solutions sounds ideal to me. I suppose I could exchange the sink and hope I get one that fits this time but that could delay things even longer.

ARGH! Someone please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apron sink doesn't fit in the cabinet base!

Hmmm. I've read about this problem before and people made it work. Where is the sink sticking? Just in one area that could trimmed out on the cab or is it just too big all the way around? If that was it, I'd probably go with the plywood...that would seem the easiest. Sorry you're having this glitch but hang in there!

o

where do you live? my dh says if you live in portland he will come see what he can do. he is a cabinet builder.

o

This is the cabinet maker's issue to solve. Not yours. I understand why you are trying to gather info, but ultimately, it's HIS problem to fix. That fix is simple though. The platform that supports the sink is made shorter and the top rail is trimmed a bit. Not a big deal at all.

o

donaleen - that is an AWESOME offer from you dh! give him a big hug for gwers everywhere!

o

i will tell him

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here