Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can my cabinets hold weight of cast iron sink?

Posted by Brandywine72 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 23:13

We had to dismantle our kitchen for foundation work and are now reassembling it. With the new configuration we were able to reuse most of the cabinets installed by previous owners, but not the countertops and sink. The cabinets are a pretty low end, made in China, shaker style. How do I know if they will be strong enough to hold the weight of a new enamel cast iron sink?

The previous countertops were granite. If the cabinets held granite with a stainless steel sink, will they be strong enough to hold wood counters with an enamel cast iron sink? We like the look of such a sink as it fit more with the old character of our house and we are trying to down play all the stainless steel look of the kitchen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can my cabinets hold weight of cast iron sink?

Yes, in any configuration.

o

Define low end. Get out your tape measure. How thick is the face frame? Sides? What type of internal bracing do the cabinets have? How thick is the back? How is it joined to the sides? Do you have pics you can post? I've seen some cabinets that could support granite short term, but would slowly buckle over time. Add in a cast iron sink full of water and it could be a much quicker disaster.

I have to ask, with you essentially remaking the whole kitchen here, why wouldn't you take the opportunity to use materials that would last the long haul? Get better quality cabinets?

o

Your cabinets will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here