Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolmom1_gw

Unable to view Photobucket

coolmom1
16 years ago

I am unable to view photos when I click on the link that says "Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket' that appears in many posts. When I click on the link, it brings up the Photobucket home page. Not sure what to do next. Can anyone help? I am missing out on so many wonderful photos!

Comments (13)

• plllog
    16 years ago

It's not you. It's Photobucket. Since it's free they have to make money somehow :) One thing they do is embed that link to their homepage with the HTML code that you can automatically copy by clicking on it. That way they get their links all over the place. It puts them higher on a lot of search engines and brings newcomers to their homepage. I like my clickable photos to take people to something that has to do with the photo, so I don't use the Photobucket code, even though I believe in supporting freesites.

If you want to see what's in a public album on Photobucket you can right click (Windows) on a picture and choose "copy image location", then paste what it says in your browser's location box. That'll take you to the image. Then delete the file name from the end of the location (up to the rightmost slash) and you'll see whatever else is in the album.

• coolmom1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pillog...thanks for your response, however, I don't quite understand. You say "right click on a picture"...which picture? The page that I see shows no photos of any gardenweb posts. Still can't seem to get it....???

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Sometimes this happens because the poster has removed his or her pictures from Photobucket...some do it pretty soon after the post. Other times I don't know why it happens (it may be as Plllog says). When it does happen, do as Plllog says:

* Right click on the link or picture icon and select "Copy link location"

* Then, paste it into your browser (and hit the enter key)

If the picture is still there, you will see it. If it's been removed by the poster, you will be told "Page not found"

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Coolmom: Do you at least see a little box or a link?

Which message are you trying to see the pictures in?

• plllog
    16 years ago

I meant right click on the image in the thread on GW.

But Buehl is right. I've done some more experimentation, and the Photobucket homepage seems to be for private albums or ones that have been closed. I think. Maybe. Sorry to be confusing.

But it's not you ;)

• coolmom1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

buehl...try looking at the message titled "Full Granite Backsplash vs. something else" . Look for the one that was posted on Nov 16, 2007 by athomewith3...about the 17th message in the thread. It is possible, as you mentioned, that is has been already removed, but it seems to happen to me with every message with the link. I tried right clicking on on the link and selecting "copy link location", but, again, it takes me to the home page. Thanks for trying to help me....

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Sorry, I should have said "Copy Image Location". But, it doesn't matter in this case, the picture AtHomeWith3 posted in that thread appears to have been removed. I get "Page not found", which means it's been removed. If it were just a matter of public vs private, I think I would have gotten the page asking me to sign in for that album...I've encountered that before.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Photobucket is so weird :) I swear when I first started here and was posting pictures it gave me the code for the sign-up page, not for my album. That's why I assumed above that it was a marketing ploy.

Thanks, Buehl, for setting it straight, and for checking out the removed pics.

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

Photobucket is actually very reliable, have used it for 2 years with never one problem. The problem is many people using it don't understand how it works. Many people only use the free site which gives them limited space and they delete the photos to make room for more, and when you go to look for it, it is gone. Sometimes people post the wrong link because there are 4 or 5 to choose from under each photo in Photobucket. More often, it seems, people make changes to the photo, change the title of it or do something else to change it and this changes the "link" required to access it. The old one no longer works and people can't figure out why. If you want a photo on Photobucket to remain available you have to leave there and not change it. You can try emailing the original poster and ask them to post a new link to the photo. We just can't make people leave them them there untouched so we can access them later, unfortunately. I have also found a large number of photo links on the finished kitchen blog were wiped out when Yahoo closed their photo sharing site and most people have moved on with their lives since the remodel and either aren't aware of it or no longer care to take the time to replace them all with new links. If you try to access a link that no longer exists on Photobucket, you will probably get the home page, the same if they post the wrong type of link. The only part of the address that might still be valid is the part telling your computer that it needs to go to photobucket, the part telling where on photobucket to go is wrong and doesn't work.

Sue

• starpooh
    16 years ago

I love photobucket; it's directory-oriented so it's very easy to find an entire album from just one photo.

1. Go back to patty_cakes' thread Full Granite Backsplash vs. something else.
    2. Find athomewith3's post.
    3. Right click on the link "Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket". Select Copy Image Location.
    4. Paste it into your browser. You should see this: http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h143/athomewith3/PICT0016.jpg
    As buehl and sue_ct mentioned the photo PICT0016.jpg was somehow removed from athomewith3's album. But you can still see the rest of her album.
    5. Remove the "PICT0016.jpg" from the end of the URL and hit enter. This leaves you with:
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h143/athomewith3
    This shows you all the photos that athomewith3 has in her photo album.
    You can do this "trick" with any photobucket image.

fwiw... athomewith3 DID have other photos in her album. I used one in her FKB post. Perhaps the backsplash photo she was referring to was the one that is now in the FKB: http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/2006/08/athomewith3s-kitchen.html)

And sue_ct: buehl has kindly volunteered to follow-up with all the broken photo links in the FKB. Thank you buehl!

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

That is awesome! Thank you from myself and for the HUNDREDS of people that will take advantage of those lost photos, buehl!

Sue

• coolmom1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks starpooh and everyone else! I finally got it to work. Now I can enjoy the many photos that I have been missing. Thanks again!

• Linda Giorgi
    16 years ago

Thank you from my computer also. I was having the same problem.
    Lynn