Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me! [Help keep on Page 1]

Buehl
11 years ago

Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you may find the following information and links helpful.

The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)/Articles pages contain helpful information about how to navigate this site as well as the world of kitchen renovations.

The Kitchen Forum Acronyms will help you understand some of the acronyms used frequently in posts.

The Finished Kitchens Blog has pictures and information about many GW members' finished kitchens. Not only can you see them alphabetically, but you can also use the "Find-A-Kitchen" function to utilize several search options if you're looking for specific things like a kitchen w/a Beverage Center or a kitchen w/a mix of dark and light cabinets. Access "Find-A-Kitchen" via the via the menu bar at the top of any FKB page. Additionally, "Find-A-Kitchen" contains a link to "In-Progress Kitchens" for those members' kitchens that are not quite ready for the FKB. There is also a link to "Coming Soon Kitchens" for those kitchens that are ready for the FKB but have not yet been added. To access the "In-Progress Kitchens", the "Coming Soon Kitchens", and the "FKB Categories", see the links on the menu bar at the top of any FKB page.

The Appliances Forum is very useful when you have questions specific to appliances.

To start off the kitchen remodel process...take the Sweeby Test. Then, move on to Beginning a Kitchen Plan.

Other topics such as layouts, planning for storage, and stone materials are discussed in later topics in this thread. Even more information can be found by doing a search on the forum.

Tips:

• Before posting a question, please search the forum. There's a very good chance someone has already asked the question.

• When using the "search" function, be sure to use the search box on the bottom of the page, not the top!

• Note, however, that you will probably have better luck searching if you use Google (or similar search engine) than if you use the Forum search function. When using Google, to limit your results to Garden Web, include the following in your search criteria:

***site:ths.gardenweb.com
In the Subject, the site changes the double quote used as the inches indicator (") to a single quote ('). We don't know why. To compensate, use two single quotes and it will appear as a double quote in the Subject. Luckily, the double quote works in the message box.
When composing a new thread, you have a couple of options:

• Have replies emailed to you: check the box offering this option. However, you must have "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site." box checked in your profile for this to work (see the "Your Profile" link at the very top of the page) [See the post later in this thread with the Subject: Getting Emails Sent To You...3-step Process]

• Insert a link: When you "preview" your message, you will be provided with two boxes for a link...one is for the link itself and the second is for the name or description of the...

Comments (148)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

This is from a VERY interesting art project on contemporary body image. The artist photoshopped classical paintings, giving the depictions of Venus that we are all familiar with a "modern" idealized body type. Pretty revealing. In this one, and all that are on the link below, the modern one is shown first followed by the original.

Here is a link that might be useful: Body image art project

• enduring
    11 years ago

Fascinating Angie, my DH and I were looking and we both think the modern take on the painting is weird looking.

Willtv, the second Diego Rivera is stunning. It looks like an adobe room painted top to bottom. DH said "Cool!" to both Riveras

Bump

• enduring
    11 years ago

Fascinating Angie, my DH and I were looking and we both think the modern take on the paintings in the link are weird looking.

Willtv, the second Diego Rivera is stunning. It looks like an adobe room painted top to bottom. DH said "Cool!" to both Riveras

Bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Enduring, I definitely agree, the skinny versions of Venus look weird and not terribly attractive. However, I do think the photoshop artist did not overly exaggerate. That is, I could easily imagine the skinny versions gracing, say, a perfume or eyeshadow ad in a magazine. I cannot say the same for the original versions.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump

• enduring
    11 years ago

bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Frida Kahlo (1907-1954), Autorretrato con monos, 1943 (Self-Portrait with Monkeys, 1943) oil on canvas 81.5 X 63 cm.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Pg 3?!?!?! You naughty thread!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Wow, you move fast!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Holy moly!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Incredible! On pg. 3 again.

• willtv
    11 years ago

Enduring, Here's another.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

On pg. 3 yet again!

• aliris19
    11 years ago

boot. Thanks for the beauty...

• aliris19
    11 years ago

boot -- thanks for the beauty

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

bump -- moving at the speed of sound!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Maybe supersonic, actually!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Bump,

SNOW DAY, YAY!!! NO WORK FOR ME!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Pg 3 AGAiN?? Bad thread!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump

• enduring
    11 years ago

bump

• aliris19
    11 years ago

ooomph

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump

• enduring
    11 years ago

bumpity

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

bumpity bump!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

bumpity bump bump!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump

• enduring
    11 years ago

A piece of wood art! Would you look at those drawer tolerances!

And a little soapstone!

I've added the link to my soapstone sink progress.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finally the Plans for Soapstone Sink Taking Shape!

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 1:34

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

How do you get so far down on page 2? Up you go...

• Buehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

That is some sink, enduring. Can you make me one and mail it to me? ;-)

Bump!

• enduring
    11 years ago

NO NO NO, not ever another sink (I don't think anyway). I can't believe I am almost done! Angie you have been a real cheer leader with this sink project. I want to thank you for all the encouragement you've provided.

Buehl, I love the "flake". It is truly one of a kind.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

go !

Did you make the sink, enduring? So nice!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Aliris, yes I made the sink. It was a real adventure, thanks.

And now for the bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump.

It is easy to cheerlead for such a wonderful project!

• tbb123
    11 years ago

Bump.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump!

• lannegreene
    11 years ago

Bump

• tea4all
    11 years ago

I love the beautiful sink made by an amazing Enduring.

Bump.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

bump please.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

What happened?

Earlier today enduring's sink pic was right side up. Now it is upside down on my iPad. Anyone else see it this way??

This post was edited by tea4all on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 21:54

• enduring
    11 years ago

Tea4all, turn your ipad around;)
    its right side up on my macbook pro

This post was edited by enduring on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 21:58

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Oh dear me!! I am so embarrassed. It is really apparent I am a newbie on the iPad.

Hopefully You all had a good laugh! ;)

• enduring
    11 years ago

Tea, did it work?

Bump

edited to add LOL, for tea4all!

This post was edited by enduring on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 7:22

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Nope Enduring. The sink pic is upside down no matter which way I turn the iPad. However, it is just fine on my Mac. I thought it was just a fluck yesterday and figured things would straighten out today.

It's been a crazy day with our senior dog at the vets. I got on GW for some sanity tonight but "New To Kitchens.." just continues the craziness. I think I should cut my losses and go read a book. ;)

Big BUMP to get this baby off of pg 3.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Willem Claeszoon Heda
    "Still life with oysters, a rummer, a lemon and a silver bowl" (1634), oil on canvas, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks