Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merimom_gw

What color would you paint this kitchen?

merimom
15 years ago

We are pretty set on the cabinet, floor, and countertop. Cabinets are purchased (Kraftmaid cherry, sunset stain). We haven't bought the floor yet, but this is one that both DH and I can agree on so far. Granite will mostly be something black, possibly uba tuba, possibly something honed...not sure, but definitely black. We do like uba tuba bc we tend to decorate with greens and golds.

{{gwi:1575103}}

{{!gwi}}

Floor tile:

{{gwi:1583165}}

We are almost ready to begin install of cabinets. DH wants to paint first (I know you really should pick paint last, but painting first would really be a lot easier for him...Since he will be doing the painting, I am trying to not fight him too much on this one).

So, I need to pick a paint color but I am not sure what direction to go. I am leaning towards a green for contrast against the cabinets or a golden beige to tie into the floor and make the room look bigger. I am open to other suggestions...

I always wanted a sunny yellow kitchen, but I think yellow might just make the floor look dirty. Base boards and trim in room will be painted white.

We will have a backsplash eventually, but I want to wait to find the right one. It will probably be something similar to the floor tile color. However, for now, it will just be painted with no backsplash.

Thanks so much everyone!

Comments (13)

• olga_d
    15 years ago

We did BM Nantucket Gray, which is a nice muted sage colour. Actually I mainly saw it in cherry kitchens it seemed and I was worried it wouldn't look good with my maple cabs. I'm hoping it will pull a little green out of our granite too (most likely Peacock Green).

BTW, we also painted first - it saved me a lot of worrying about splashing paint onto my new cabs or floor.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Here's a photo of Nantucket gray in my office.

{{gwi:1484996}}

• rhome410
    15 years ago

That Nantucket Gray is amazing, and should be gorgeous with your elements.

• merimom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow...I never would have picked a color with "gray" in the name but I think I like it! Brutuses...Thanks for the pic of it.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Ya know...I need several options to stress and mull over. It can't be as easy as the first 3 people suggesting the same color! ;-)
    Thanks everyone.

• nys29
    15 years ago

We have cherry/pecan stain with uba tuba and never did the backsplash. I painted it BM Northampton Putty. If you do a search you might find another post with that color. (Sorry, no pics!) It's a nice warm color that looks great with the granite and cabs. It might be too dark for you, though. I love the Nantucket gray above too :)

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

While you're at the Benjamin Moore store, check out BM Flowering Herbs. I have painted in LR, MaBa, and have primer and first coat up in parts of the kitchent. It is a nice grey-green but does look a little different in the kitchen as compared to the living room and maba due to lighting so please sample any color(s) you choosed--it will save you $ in the long run (trust me!). I will try and attach picture of maba with first coat (wish you could see more of the paint but hopefully will see enough).

Here is a link that might be useful:

• msrose
    15 years ago

You've already had such great suggestions, but if you're looking for some more choices, BM Baby Turtle is another pretty green. I have a hard time picturing anything but green in there.

Laurie

• sailormann
    15 years ago

Green - definitely green.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Was going to use the BM Baby Turtle in MaBr but ended up a little dark for me but pretty color. Here are a couple of pics of the BM Flowering Herbs, one on LR wall and one in uncompleted MaBa.

{{!gwi}}

• capecodder
    15 years ago

BM Georgian Green is a nice sage too, darker than Flowering Herbs, though...

• shelly_k
    15 years ago

I love that granny smith apple green type color that you see -- I think it looks so good in kitchens with medium to dark cabinets and dark counters and lighter floors. We just painted my sis's kitchen this color.

Sorry I don't have a better picture with more of the green color -- but you get the idea. My sisters's kitchen doesn't have alot of natural light, so it might appear brighter in your kitchen.

I can get the name from her if you want.

• merimom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I bought a BM Nantucket Gray sample today and I do like it. I'll post a photo once it dries. It looks more green and less gray in the larger sample. My DH says he likes it and to stop debating paint colors, but I think I might want to sample a couple more...Maybe Baby Turtle, Providence Olive, Flowering Herbs, or maybe something a little more granny smith like the photo above. Can't help myself...Gotta love those $4 paint samples!

Thanks for all your help.

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

I have BM saybrook Sage in my Dining Room and Living Room and love it. It is definitely a Sage Green but has more grey than yellow or blue. Sorry this picture looks like a blue green but it's not.