Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjzucker7

How to end edges of backsplash . . . without bullnose tile . . .

szruns
9 years ago

OK, I really like this tile, and it looks fabulous (IMHO) with my granite, etc. And, it's only $9/sf and looks very nicely made. So, I really want to use it!

But, there is no bullnose available. There is the 3x6 subway, a "crown molding" and a tiny subway mosaic (irrelevant).

Most of my backslash sides will either butt up to a full height cabinet (oven, etc.) or a corner (of the U shape kitchen), but there will be one short vertical edge and quite a few short horizontal edges . . . Because I have limited upper cabinets, lots of windows, and so a few relatively gaps between windows and cabinets where there is wall but no upper . . .

So, I have perused past threads and google searched, and it seems like my options are:

1) Choose another tile. (Please, no, reject)
2) Use a bead of caulk (color match to grout) and paintable, ideally, to paint with wall color.
3) Use the available "crown molding" piece as edge, but there isn't a lot of horizontal length exposed . . . so could/should I use that on the more problematic vertical edges?
4) Schluter or other "profile edges". Not feeling it. I don't want to introduce the "noise" of a metal color into this quiet backsplash . . . And not loving plastic or anything else that can/will deteriorate over time. (Tile is so lovely in that it lasts so long looking great.)

I'm leaning towards simply sticking with straight up 3x6, no trim, and cutting/caulking the edges. What say you?

My 3x6

Comments (23)

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The crown molding tile. . .

• rantontoo
    9 years ago

Ask if the person you hire can polish the edges of the tile for a more finished looking edge on the top tiles.

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

We just used a wall, tile and grout that was almost the same color and didn't worry about an edge trim.

• bcafe
    9 years ago

Schluter comes in many colors. When we chose our color, we took a tile to the store and matched that way. It doesn't read 'metal' at all.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

A Schluter edge is inconspicuous and finishes it off nicely.

{{gwi:2142718}}

[Emser Cape Cod Tiles with Schluter Edge[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-wall-and-floor-tile-prbr1-br~t_600~s_2107) by Memphis Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

Or, you can just paint the exposed edge of the tile the wall color. That's what we did on this edge that we stairstepped.

[Emser Cape Cod Tile, Stairstepped Edge, Blanco Silgranite Sink[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-kitchen-sinks-prbr1-br~t_436~s_2107) by Memphis Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

• bcafe
    9 years ago

LWO, your close up is exactly what ours looks like.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Do you have enough of it for a complementary trim piece from another tile line to work? Probably not since I feel like you're going for a calm understated 'splash.

If you don't like the Schluter (I'm totally with you although the above photos are really not bad at all) you could trim the edges with wood moulding, like a tiny quarter round painted to match tile, walls, or cabinets depending on the whole picture. To choose that vs. the cut 'n' caulk 'n' paint method which is probably okay, I'd have to decide if my woodworking skills were better than my caulking skills (they are, marginally).

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

szruns:

Pay your tile setter cut and polish the edge of a tile or two and keep track of his time. You'll know if you like the look and he'll know how much extra to charge.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

On the edges where my backsplash did not hit a wall, I used a Schluter edge. I think it is very unnoticeable. That was the second time the tilesetter installed the backsplash. The first time he used bullnose. It looked awful, I thought. I'm a big fan of "plain," and the Schluter gave me the finished looked without a lot of falderol.

Edited to add "did not" in first line.

This post was edited by bbstx on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 12:34

• bbstx
    9 years ago

HA! Treb. Glad you posted. I re-read my post and discovered I needed to edit my post.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I just used Schluter with subway tile and I just love it. I fought using Schluter every step of the way until I realized it was the only solution for my situation and now I just love the way it looks! My tile is white so I used the anodized aluminum which is also visually very white metal and it is so pretty and subtle and contemporary!

• melh22
    8 years ago

@szruns could you tell me what type/color of tile this is please? Thanks!

• scoutfinch72
    8 years ago

mhaber22 - I believe the brand is MSI

• javiwa
    7 years ago

szruns -- Really curious to know what you ended up using to finish off your tile (if, indeed, you stuck with the tile pictured above). We may be going with this taupy elongated hex, and need to figure out how to turn a few outside corners and how to end at either end of the counters:

Hope you've been enjoying your kitchen! TIA.

• mushigaga
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

bcafe, and live wire oak, thanks for posting the pictures of the Schluter edges. Your edging doesn't look like metal--but is it? If not what is the material/color or product number? I would like to get something similar. Thanks.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

mushigaga:

According to their salesman at Coverings, these guys have 5,000 tile edges. I'm sure you'll find one.

• mushigaga
    6 years ago

I have a white/gray stone tile and it's thicker than a typical subway tile. Tonight at Home Depot I put a Schluter brushed metal tile edge against it and was surprisingly pleased with the result. Even though it's a vintage (1920's) style kitchen, it works with some of the modern elements like the stainless steel fridge and lighting fixture.

• bcafe
    6 years ago

Yes, it is Schluter and a metal. I cannot remember the color, but I just took a piece of tile with me to the store. There are many different colors within the Schluter line.

• Katie Lake
    6 years ago

For Jerzeegirl or others that have selected to use white subway for a bathroom shower wall (mine will be beveled and stop outside the glass shower enclosure) and have used the Schluter system trim.. What profile have you used? I am curious about Rondec and Jolly

• calgal932
    5 years ago

SZruns I would love to know what you wound up doing to finish off your edges. I'm thinking of using the same, or very similar tile. My tile only comes with a pencil trim (sort of like quarter round) and it is from the same company. It would be great if you could post a picture of the finished project. Thanks!

• HU-158119288
    2 years ago

Stepped back splash

• Mari Saenz
    12 months ago

Does anyone have pics of mosaic backsplash where the edges are not cut off?  Where the edges are the natural edge of the mosaics?