Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash ideas and faucet recommendations

Posted by katy-lou (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 22:58

Hello. I'm new to the forums and we are in the midst of an unplanned kitchen remodel. We've chosen santa Rita Venata soap stone countertops, carved soapstone sink, cherry cabinets, and will have windows with soapstone sils above the range and sink. We were going to have soapstone backslashes behind the range and sink dovetailing into the sils, but what about elsewhere? Height from sink/range to windows is 8".

Second question. Just started looking at waterstone faucets. Do the pull outs work well? Does anyone have a gantry? Is it huge?

This is finally starting to feel real - has been on going since summer! Finally have insulation and plaster starting tomorrow!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash ideas and faucet recommendations

I think standard backsplash height is 4". I have a Moen pullout faucet which I do like. It's much easier to rinse large objects with a pullout.

o

Suggestions for backsplash material? Soapstone or something else?

o

Not sure, do you have pics of the materials you have chosen?

o

I have soapstone in a somewhat modern setting with large format glass tile. Yours sounds somewhat craftsman like. How about square ceramic tile?

o

Dh is oiling up the wood and soapstone samples. I'll post pics soon The house is a 1920 craftsman We had a dishwasher leak, and one thing has lead to another- has ended up with us taking up four layers of flooring, finding the original hardwoods underneather continuous boards to the living room, taking the walls down to their studs, reframing all walls, finding rotted sil plate and rim joists, excavating next to house and putting in french drain, replacing rim joists, new subfloor, pouring new driveway, new electrical service, gaining access to galvanized plumbing and replacing with copper, removing the dropped ceiling and raising up the support structure to accommodate the original height ceiling thoughout kitchen, and replumbing the radiators in the house. Been ongoing since August!

o

Cherry cabinets, walnut table & built in benches (potentially), soapstone countertops, Doug fir trim to match rest of house, fir loewen windows

o

Nice. I'm currently absolutely loving Motawi tile. I don't know if it'll work for you. I keep picking out really bold tile choices and then discovering that when you have a wall of them tht it's too much. There are some Craftsman designs where they put an occasional tulip here or there. And check out the Salmon Green Poppy border. It's lovely!

I've done a lot of Arts & Crafts research but I did abandon it as I said. I know that one day I will do the brick over in Arts & Crafts. It's perfect for that.

statusceramics.com
carreauxdunord.com
motawi.com
prattandlarson.com
bosettiarttile.com <------ awesome
missiontilewest.com <------- appears to be exactly the same inventory as motawi.com, very confusing
oakparkhome-hardware.com
craftsmantiles.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here