Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilsarsf

Backsplash feedback or ideas?

LSSF
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

With your help and wisdom, I have gotten this far and only almost given up 3 times�.

Remodeling our very small, north-facing, U-shaped kitchen. I have never remodeled a single thing before. Ever. Everything is currently torn up, so I don't have great photos to help, but I have so far gotten to selecting:

* Cabinets: Natural-stain cherry veneer slab doors (except the corner glass cabinets),
* Corner cabinet glass: Hoping to find a gold/amber-colored glass someday. Or maybe get around to making some stained glass inserts?
* Sink: White, cast-iron, undermounted,
* Fridge/stove/hood/dishwasher (all pre-existing): brushed stainless steel with black where it is not silver (I wouldn't have picked these, but they work fine so they stay)
* Garden window above sink: Aluminum (which is "bronze" painted) to add more light,
* Countertops: "Hazelford" (a fairly even chocolate color) quartz from Cambria,
* Floor: Leaning towards a China-Gold type slate (the slate that has golds-orange-reds)

So my questions:

1. What advice do you have for someone thinking of only putting in a zingy (single colored tile) all-wall backsplash on one wall? What would you do with the other places where the countertop comes into contact with the wall? I think I don't totally understand backslashes.

- What areas of a kitchen REQUIRE backsplashes? Is it a terrible idea not to have that couple inches of backsplash lip between the wall and the countertops?

- Will it look bad (I realize this is probably not even a helpful question) to have a bright backsplash on the wall where the oven will be but not anywhere else?

My current directions:

* 1 "bright" colored backsplash wall:
I am looking for a backsplash on the wall above the stove that will complement rather than interfere with everything else that is going on in the kitchen. I have been surfing the web for images, but I still feel unsure, especially since I keep reading on here that the cabinet color will darken a bit over time. Gulp, and because there don't seem to be a lot of images of solid brown countertops out there, much less with natural cherry cabinets.

And though I thought the quartz was overwhelming, the backsplash possibilities are seemingly endless! Yikes. For the backsplash, I was thinking about single color, but I want something that will breathe some life back into the kitchen while brightening it up. Perhaps a subway tile that will put some zing into the kitchen without clashing with everything? So I picked up some Fireclay Tiles just to get some colors going, and so far I have been drawn towards a couple of their reds:
Claret
Beet (a glass)
(https://www.fireclaytile.com/tile/colors/)

I cannot get a handle on what would go well with natural cherry + chocolate brown + a gold-pink-slate floor (not sure about that yet).

* What about the grout color? How do you figure that out?

* What do I do with the walls on either side of the stove wall (1 holds the sink/garden window, the other runs into the fridge)? Do I just create a lip from the left-over quartz for the rest? Will that look strange?

I would truly welcome any direction that you nice people could offer�.

Thank you for not just shaking your heads at me (which is what my extended family is doing). Cheers!

The photo is the hazel ford color of the quartz, though in our not-sunlit kitchen, it looks less orange and more like a Hershey's bar...

Comments (10)

• LSSF
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Photo of the kitchen- where the stove will be….. to the left will be the countertop with the sink, to the right a small countertop, then that "box" will kinda nest the fridge, then next to it will be a small open counter.

• LSSF
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is in the day at its brightest.

• LSSF
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the two tiles I am thinking of for stove area backsplash - I don't really think either color is quite right, though? I just cannot imagine them.

And tile patterns I am trying to picture are:
    subway tile or something more like the link I am putting here….
    (Ogee or Ogee drop straight set or even hexagon….)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile patterns

This post was edited by LSSF on Sat, Dec 27, 14 at 23:15

• crl_
    9 years ago

If you have samples of your cabinet finish, I think it might be helpful to see pictures of that with a sample of your countertop and floor tile. It sounds to me like you have a fairly dark room with somewhat dark finish choices at this point. So my inclination is to suggest a light colored tile backsplash. Maybe a cream? And to add interest in the shape of the tile.

In general, I think a backsplash is most practical above the range/cooktop and above the sink. Those are the areas that are most prone to splash and spatter. From a looks perspective, I think it often looks more luxurious/more finished to have a fairly continuous backsplash. Other choices can look great too and if I were considering only tiling one wall, I'd look on houzz for some inspiration pictures.

• LSSF
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@crl_
    Thanks for that. I think the cabinet color is going to look like this…. (ish) - though I hear it is going to get a little darker because cherry (veneer) cabinets do?

• eam44
    9 years ago

It may be too early to be thinking about this, especially if you're not 100% sure about your cabinet finish. Have you chosen the quartz, or is it one of your options? If it's a done deal, wait until it's in, then look at it all together in your light and see if you like it with red tile. My guess is that you're going to go another direction.

You must be very excited to be nearing completion.

• LSSF
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@EAM44
    The contractor is telling me I should select the backsplash now - before installation. Are you saying it is ok to wait? That would really relieve me!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

You have a strongly autumn palette planned. I think the counter needs to be a little lighter and in a warm neutral to give those colors something to play off of. I have natural cherry and I wouldn't use a brown countertop. Not only does cherry get darker, it can get redder. The counter will blend, and I'm afraid your tiny kitchen will turn into the "inside of a wooden cigar box" (quoted from some wise GW member).

• LSSF
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@May_flowers:
    Do you happen to have a photo of your natural cherry? I cannot seem to get a straight answer from folks about the color that the natural cherry will become! Inside of cigar box = hilarious and frightening! Thank you!!

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Some people wait months to do their backsplash after completing the rest of their kitchen. The only reason to do it now is for your contractor's convenience. I wouldn't do it. In fact, I'd hold off on choosing your countertop if you aren't already obligated to the brown. I think it's going to be too dark.

Here's what I would suggest. Get your cabinets installed and then put down some temporary plywood and use it as a countertop for awhile. You can brace your undermount sink to temporarily work this way. Then live without your final counter/backsplash for awhile. Observe how light plays in your kitchen with your cherry cabinets. Bring home different samples and test them during different times of day with different light.

If you still think you want the brown counters, find a paint in that color and paint the plywood. See how the light plays with it. Of course, paint won't reflect the light the same way as the stone will so this won't give you a 100% accurate idea of what the final look will be, but it should be close enough.

Anyway, that's what I'd do. I hate to be rushed to make decisions on such expensive purchases. I think mistakes are more likely when you do so.