Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindatsr

Cooktop in front of kitchen window?

lindatsr
16 years ago

We are in the early stages of planning a kitchen remodel. One thing I would like to do is switch the location of our sink and our cooktop, which would put the sink and adjacent counter space (where I spend most of my time) at a "bar" facing out into the living room and the cooktop in front of an existing window. The window view isn't fantastic, but I would like to maintain at least some window space in that location for light. The window sill currently sits about 8" above the countertop. We could reframe the window to make it smaller if needed and I assume we would need to have some sort of safety glass. It could be frosted or something decorative as it will be behind the cooktop where a backsplash would normally be. I plan to have a 36" gas Wolf cooktop and will probably have a chimney style cooktop hood or other wall hood.

Does anyone have a similar setup? Any thoughts on the feasibility of this setup would be appreciated. Obviously cleaning will be an issue, but maybe no worse than cleaning any other backsplash.

Comments (20)

• weissman
    16 years ago

You need to check code in your area - in many places cooktops and ranges aren't allowed in front of a window. Also, are you planning a hood over the cooktop - the window will pose a problem with that.

• sophierex
    16 years ago

We are currently in the middle of a total kitchen remodel which I don't think I could have done without all the things I have learned on this forum. Our old kitchen had a 1973 Crown 6 burner range located in front of a glass block window. I changed the glass blocks to a regular non opening glass window about 18 years ago. The window sill is about 9 inches above the range top. Everything in the remodel will be relocated, except the cooktop, which will still be in front of the window. We never had much of a workable exhaust system before and will use a downdraft (pop-up style, 9 inches) now because a hood would either be too high or would block the window which our codes don't allow. (it's a fairly large window) I think the main key to having a cooktop in front of a window is that the window be non-opening. I'm in Southern California and we have very strict codes but this allowed because of non-opening aspect. I have always liked having my cooktop in front of the window and have never thought the cleaning was a particular problem.

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

I was wanting to do this, too, with a Wolf DF. Read the literature on their website and you will find that you can not use a downdraft vent with it. Secondly, you are not to put it against anything combustible like a window frame. It is a powerful cooktop. Don't risk your home and family.

• caligirl_cottage
    16 years ago

This is funny because we just did the exact same thing with our kitchen layout (flipped the sink and stove) and as a result we needed to modify the window location. This is just a personal belief, but I think that the cleaning would be a nightmare and a stove with the BTU's that yours puts out would make me nervous. I understand your desires for a view and light, but I'd relocate the window if possible.

• nancylouise5me
    16 years ago

Just a thought here...with the window so close to the cooking area wouldn't that make for a dirty, greasy window from daily cooking. Also why would you want to be distracted from a serious chore like cooking by looking out the window? Your attention should be on the fire and what you are doing. Not looking out the window. Keep a less serious chore like washing dishes at the window imo. NancyLouise

• kailleanm
    16 years ago

We did this as well. Our kitchen is tiny with two doorways and layout options are very limited. We ended up with a counter height garden window behind our induction cooktop, which is in turn over a wall oven.

We've had it in about six weeks now and I love it. Because it's a garden window (i.e. glass is farther away) I haven't had any problems with greasy windows or anything. Our code allowed us to make the window opening, which we have done.

We are opting for a 500 cfm inline exhaust fan (but no hood) directly above the cooktop. It's not installed yet. But I rarely use a fan at all, so this will be fine for our needs. I didn't want a bulky hood blocking the light. You might need a heavier duty fan with your gas stove, and if you do a lot of frying or wok cooking.

I love looking out the window while I cook. Good heavens -- it's not brain surgery!

Don't be afraid to think outside of the box to achieve the results you need. Do be mindful of safety issues, etc, and take steps to address them, but also don't be dissuaded by people who say "impossible", simply because they have never done it before or seen it done.

This has proven to be a wonderful solution for us. I will try and post a pic later.

:-)

• logic
    16 years ago

For those of you who live in areas where this is permitted by code...does the code also prohibit fabric or any sort of flammable window treatments on said window?

• kailleanm
    16 years ago

Definitely, our building code prevents use of curtains.

You could use frosted glass I suppose, if privacy was a real concern. I'm not big on curtains in the kitchen anyway, so it wasn't an issue for us.

• vizslalover
    16 years ago

We've had our setup for a year now and no issues with the window behind getting especially dirty or greasy.

Yes, flammable window treatments are a no-no.

I don't find it especially hazardous to look out the window and check on my daughter while my soup is simmering....

• awm03
    16 years ago

Below is a link to mine (not sure if the pictures show up in the text). {{!gwi}}

It's a stationary window with tempered glass. The cooktop is bumped out about 3 inches too. I don't need to clean it very often, mostly because of the vent configuration & because whenever I cook greasy splattery stuff I use the front burner anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: window above cooktop

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

We have a 36" induction cooktop in front of a working garden window with regular window glass and it meets all codes for our town. Code prevents window treatments as they are potentially combustible but you'd have to be an idiot to put those in there anyway - why risk it.

We also have an island mount 900 cfm fan above the cooktop as the counters are 30" deep plus there is no room above the windoe to mount a wall mount fan.

Also as kailleanm said, we have no issues with grease on the windows - they are too far back.

• fandlil
    16 years ago

With the kind of really serious cooktop you are planning, I would worry about grease buildup, smoke and heat. In front of a window your design of an effective exhaust system, which should be a high priority, will probably be more complicated and expensive.

• patti_bee
    16 years ago

We have our GE Monogram propane cooktop in front of a window and I love it. Our counters are 30 inches deep so that does give a bit of extra room between the cooktop and window. If you have room, I'd go for the deeper counters -- amazing increase in amount of storage in the drawers and it's nice to have the additional depth on the counter. We have a Dacor downdraft. Friends of ours in Portland have an in-ceiling exhaust with no exposed hood that seems to be working for them. It just passed their inspections with no problem so that might be an option. Also, building codes vary tremendously so that's where you should start. Our window even opens and we had no problem with inspections. Our county specifies that it meet the manufacturers' specs and our does; that was the end of the discussion. I'm sure you will find a way to make this happen! Here's ours --

• mimicarla
    16 years ago

We simply LOVE our 6 burner Dacor gas rangetop in front of an entire wall of windows--in fact, we designed our kitchen around that feature. The windows are counter height. We have a Faber island hood over the stove which is in front of the center window (it is stationary). I have had no problems at all with the high heat, as the burners with the high BTUs are in the front. For the same reason, I have not had to clean the glass yet. I fussed for a long time about whether or not to do this, and I'm so happy that my husband insisted!

• lindatsr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, I am so glad I discovered this site! Thank you to all who have responded and all who may do so in the future! The photos are a great help as are the suggestions for counter depth, ventilation, etc. My designer liked the idea and is looking into codes concerning this.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

I am bumping this up as this may be a consideration for me at this time. I have a bay window that I am thinking about installing a 48" range in. There's a 60" picture window and then 2 smaller windows on the diagonal part on either side. I just emailed my town and they said it will pass inspection as long as the manufacturer's install for the range and hood say it is ok. I currently have a down draft and am not going down that road again. For those of you that have a hood, can you post any photos? Thanks loves2cook for yours. Wondering if there are any additional.

• venkatbo
    16 years ago

Assuming it is built to code, this statement is key:
    > I just emailed my town and they said it will pass
    >inspection as long as the manufacturer's install for the
    >range and hood say it is ok.

While hood manufactures would guarantee the cfm rating,
    I doubt they can guarantee all of the air that is sucked
    up will be from the cooktop "top" - with the windows
    open... With the windows open, it is very likely much
    of the air that is sucked up could come from the outside
    via the window... no?

Now, if your city doesn't require hoods, then it should
    not matter where you place the stove...

/venkat

• lazydm
    16 years ago

So glad to see this thread. Thought about placing an induction cooktop in front of a window but didn't go beyond the nay sayers.
    Carlagirl, if there is any way for you to
    post a picture of your cooktop and window wall I would be eternally grateful.

• tagteam228_msn_com
    15 years ago

I was checking this site to see how far I would need to put a window from my gas range. I live in NYC and I'm surprised to find you could put a window directly behind this type of appliance. If the window is open wouldn't a breeze through it cause a gas flame to blow out or at the very least lean to one side for uneven inefficient heating? Then if you wanted to close it, reaching your arm over a hot stove seems so unsafe/dangerous and subject to steam burns, especially with 30" counter depth. And I would think the steam from boiling water etc. would fog up the glass. I don't understand....it doesn't seem like a good idea unless you don't cook much.