Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinson622

Kitchen estimate - white beaded inset cab with cherry island

robinson622
14 years ago

I'm clueless when it comes to pricing for cabinets, so I'd appreciate your input. We received our first estimate on our kitchen cabinets. Here are some details:

-Kitchen dimensions are 15 x 15

-L shaped

-cherry island 7 x 4

-cabinets will run 15 x 10'4"

-36in. wall cabs

-perimeter cabinets are maple painted off white beaded inset shaker style

-mostly drawers in base

-insides are maple

-dovetail drawers

-full extension drawers

-soft close drawers and doors

-spice pullout

-hood over range

-lazy suzan

-double trash 24" pullout

-tilt out for sponges

-all hardware is included

-only a few wall cabinets - 15' wall has 3 30" windows over sink (will have 7 x 7 pantry to help with lost space due to windows)

Total is just under $13,000 includes delivery and installation.

I'm going to visit some other kitchen places this week and next. These cabinets are from an Amish cabinet maker in Pennsylvania.

Thanks,

Lori

Comments (41)

• petepie1
    14 years ago

I think your pricing sounds pretty good. I have only priced cabinets at Lowe's and for a 12 x 13 kitchen with a 12 x 10 run, 39" uppers, and a 3x5 ft island, the pricing is coming out around 11,500 (after all discounts) for Shuler (same as medallion) full overlay, solid shaker painted maple cabinets, and around 8900 for Diamond (same as Schrock, Thomasville) for shaker solid wood door fronts, painted maple perimeter, cherry island. Both prices are for fiberboard cabinet body, (no plywood upgrade). Not including installation or hardware.

• propertyexpert
    14 years ago

Hi Lori,
    however the estimate is not broken down for you in this matter, there is two main factors in writing an estimate. which are obviously the cost of the labor, and cost of materials. i will tell you that this price appears to be lacking one of them. a high end kitchen of this caliber should be about 16k and low end kitchen of this size could be down to about 7k. I personally find it hard to believe that you are getting all these great features that you described for such a low price but if you are, that's great! i would like to get the manufacturer of these cabinets. the cabinets do sound great so if its all true than great for you girl!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.rochesterpropertyexperts.com/

• alice462
    14 years ago

Lori - don't have much to offer in the way of pricing, but it sounds like this is a price for custom cabinets? Personally, I like custom and was able to find what I wanted better built at a better price than through a large company.

Have you seen examples of his work? I visited kitchens w/cabinets built by my cabinetmaker and "tested" them -- open and closed drawers and doors, looked at finish, etc. One thing I would find out is how these cabinets are finished -- make sure that the paint technique and paint will have the finish you want. It was important for me to see/touch examples of a finished product so that I had a good idea of what I was getting.

• robinson622
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I have seen and touched the cabinets and a showroom of cabinets. These are handmade cabinets custom cabinets. I've included a link so you could see the pictures. I included the stained shaker for the style of the island cabs, but they will be cherry. Does that make sense?

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet pics

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Have you seen more than doors and drawer fronts? Often those items are ordered while the cabinetmaker builds the boxes.

• sandiandjerry
    14 years ago

Hi,

We are doing a 17' long wall with an 8' short wall and a 42" beverage center. The quotes for inset maple and a stained island came everywhere between 12000 and 23000. We have focused in on two of these that were in 12000 and 13000 range. I am getting to the point where it feels sort of exhausting trying to save 2000 to 4000, but I hope it turns out and we like it.

• parsuzi
    14 years ago

Please check references. I was just chatting w/ a friend, who recently had her roof replaced by Amish (in Lancaster County). They had been quoted a very good, even 'low' price. They did good work, but attention to detail was lacking, and my friend had to call them to return to fix some things. It all worked out in the end. I'd just want to know how satisfied other customers were.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Is this the cabinet maker in Oxford? Pictures of his shop's work has been posted before and the quality looks excellent.

• robinson622
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it is Oxford Cabinets!! You're good riverspots!!

• kompy
    14 years ago

I'd say that's a fair price. A semi-custom inset would probably run about the same $12-$15K. Custom factory pricing would be more...probably $16 to $20K. Make sure you like the finish though! I saw some inset, white cabinets at a home....where they site finished? It was horrible.

• chicken1020
    14 years ago

Lori, I'm just getting started in the design process and live near Oxford. Could you let me know where they are located, I'd love to go check them out. Thanks, Aileen

• robinson622
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sure, Aileen. I have to first give credit to "repaintingagain" for posting the original info and showing her beautiful island. You can see their workmanship if you search her name.

Oxford Cabinet Shop
    120 Quarry Road
    Oxford, PA 19353
    Phone: 717-529-0949 (they only answer M-F, between 8:00-8:30am)
    Message line: 610-932-3770 (leave a message for Jacob Fisher)

My husband and I worked with the son, Jacob. The father is also Jacob. He spent plenty of time with us, and he wasn't pushy. Good Luck!

• chicken1020
    14 years ago

excellent! thank you so much.

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

Lori, do you know if they use or can use a catalyzed conversion varnish for a top clearcoat oven the paint or stain? I have been meaning to ask them but havn't gotten around to it. That's the only possible drawback I can see.

• chicken1020
    14 years ago

I was wondering that also?

• robinson622
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have no idea. What is that? Is it something I should be worried about?

• chicken1020
    14 years ago

Lori, I believe the benefit of it is that it provides a much longer lasting finish than laquer. From my research it seems to be the finish of choice for most medium to high end painted cabinets. Also with white cabs. you have to be sure that whatever topcoat they use does not yellow. Let me know if you find out what they use. Aileen

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

Lori, Did you end up getting your cabinets through the Oxford Cabinet Shop? If so, can you detail your experience? We put our order in through them and they will be ready in about 4-5 weeks.

• dcfixerupper
    14 years ago

Any insight on final finish/paint? Also lucretzia - did you do your coordination via phone or in-person?

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

We made one trip down and stayed over a couple of nights in order to see the showroom and talk to Jacob and his son. The rest was via phone (8:30-9am) and mail.

I am holding my breath that the order turns out correctly.
    I don't know about the finish, but would have inquired had we been aware of this point. Everything in the showroom looked quite beautiful.

• robinson622
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wish I could help, but we are WAY behind in our addition/remodel. If I told you...you wouldn't believe it. Anyway, I still am hoping to purchase my cabinets from Jacob. I will post when we order.

Good luck to you, and post pictures when they're in.

Lori

• gingerboo1
    14 years ago

We are considering redoing our kitchen, specifically our cabinets. Your information regarding the Oxford Cabinet Shop has piqued our interest. I am curious if anyone has shopped anywhere else in Amish country and how the pricing of cabinets from Jacob or anywhere else in the area has compared to other stores. We are looking at Costco, among other retailers for all wood cabinets. We are nervous about doing our own measurements. If anyone has advice on Amish cabinets, photos, or insight, we would really appreciate it.

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

We should have our cabinets from Jacob in about 3 weeks and I will let you know.

• robinson622
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I recently went to a cabinet shop to compare pricing and quality. Here's what I found:

Amish cabinet estimate was $10,000 less. I didn't like the style of door as much as I did on the Amish cabs.
    I had more upgrades with the Amish cabinets.
    Interiors of amish cabs were all maple...cabinet store only upgraded to plywood.
    Hardware was included at Amish not a cabinet store.
    I would have to find my own installer with cabinet store.

I hope "repaintingagain" doesn't mind if I post a picture of her beautiful island from Jacob. Seeing it made me make the trip to PA, and I'm so glad we did. I'm still checking other places for pricing, but I have a strong feeling I won't get the quality from anyone else at a price like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: repaintingagain's island

• sandlll
    14 years ago

Just a quick question: if you live out of state and have cabinets done in Amish country, would you just rent a truck and bring them home??

• wickedstari
    14 years ago

Oxford, Pa? I live in Oxford! I got a quote for custom cabinets from London Grove Cabinetry. My quote was 13k for cabinets very similar to yours. I've been wanting to get a quote from an Amish cabinet maker as well, so thank you for the info!

I was talking to the kitchen guy from Country Floors & Interiors in Oxford and he told me that the Amish have a 21 step process in finishing their cabinets and the non-Amish have a 9 step process. When I looked and touched the examples, the Amish finish was far superior.

~Shaunie

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

Sandhill,We are paying $3500 to have the Amish deliver and install our cabinets. We live 3 and 1/2 hours away in New Jersey.

• chicken1020
    14 years ago

Lucretzia I think I may be as excited to see your cabinets as you are. lol I wanted to ask you about the design process. Did you go in with one or is there someone there that can do it? Did you need to make an appointment to stop by? Thanks!Aileen

• sandlll
    14 years ago

thanks for the delivery info.

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

Chicken1020: We started out doing our own research on layouts and so had a pretty good idea of our basic plan. We have a BH&G Architecutural Designer and played with layouts on that. At some point I found out about Gardenweb and with suggestions here, went to Lowe's and worked with a girl there who refined the layout. I thought at that point that I was going to go with the Lowe's Medallion cabinetry. Then, someone I work with told me to check out Merit and the prices for Brookhaven were better than Lowe's. Then I read repaintinagain's info and decided to check out the Oxford Cabinet Shop as the inset cabinets were what I really wanted. I was able to get inset and some nice details for less than either Lowe's or Merit overlay. Overlay were cheaper with Oxford but the inset were significantly less. We were working with stock sizes and Oxford can do any size, and that won't affect cost. At that point the majority of our plan was figured out. Jacob is knowledgable and asked us appropriate questions and gave some good ideas, but I don't think you can go in blank. Not sure though, because that's not how we did it. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks if our gamble worked out.

• chicken1020
    14 years ago

Thanks..we've got a rough idea I just need to refine it.

• chicken1020
    14 years ago

Lucretzia: I had one other question. Did Jacob have finishes/colors for you to select from or did you choose your own paint color. or are you doing stain? thanks!

• gingerboo1
    14 years ago

Thank you all for getting back to me. This has been quite helpful. We took a ride out last weekend, we live about 2 hours away in NJ. We worked with Jacob Jr. We took a copy of our architectural plans with us, it has room dimensions and a very basic layout of the stove, sink, fridge, and island. Jacob Jr. will be working out a design for us and sending us an estimate. I'm not sure how long that will take, but we are very anxious to get it. We've priced Home Depot's American Woodmark and are curious how Oxford will compare. We were able to pick from standard cabinet colors and stains. If you wanted to upgrade, there was an additional charge and it is listed on each door in their showroom. The pictures in their album are absolutely gorgeous, they have so many unique ideas for kitchen cabinets. Lucretzia: I can't wait to see your pictures! Robinson622: thank you for all of your info!!

~Kim

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

It was $100 to upgrade to my own color. I am using Sherwin Williams Creme, but it is similar to Jacob's summer white, which may actually be Sherwin Williams, but not sure.

• sunnyflies
    14 years ago

You have me fascinated. I was just about to do an IKEA kitchen because the sort of custom kitchen I'd like is not in the budget right now. Several years ago I put a gorgeous custom kitchen in another house we own, but I can't swing that today.

Have you gotten your Amish cabinets - and are you happy with them?

• robinson622
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think this post is for lucretzia, but just in case...

I have not purchased the cabinets due to a shady builder walking with about $40,000 of my money and leaving my house a wreck. The kitchen has been pushed back, but once framing is complete (hopefully by the end of April) I will be ordering my cabinets and I will most definitely share pics.

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

supposed to come in about a week.

• sunnyflies
    14 years ago

Lucretzia, thank you for answering. I hope you will let us know as soon as possible whether you are happy with the cabinets. I hope they are everything you wanted.

Robinson622 - I am so sorry for you! What a terrible experience. While I haven't had anyone walk away with my money, I did have an incompetent builder opt to not come back to finish a major job. We had paid him everything up to date, had always had a friendly relationship so couldn't understand why he never came back....until we got another guy here who showed us how badly the first guy had screwed up. It was no wonder he never came to put up the trim, the walls were so uneven. We had to tear out much of his work to have it redone, just like the Holmes on Homes show on TV. It cost us a fortune and much of the work still hasn't been finished years later, so you have my sympathy. It was a miserable experience.

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

Partially installed today and haven't time to do photos, but I am very happy. Will keep you posted.

• sunnyflies
    14 years ago

Whoopee! Glad to hear it! Please do post photos when you have time. I'd love to see them. And, would you tell us whether the crew stays over somewhere during the install or do they go home? I think you said you were about 3 1/2 hours away from them.

I'm all the way on Long Island in NY so wonder how they handle installation should I order from them. I know someone who had an Amish crew put up his barn and fencing years ago and I think they stayed somewhere. Thanks.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Robinson622, I can't wait to see pictures of your new cabinets! My kitchen is smaller and I will have no island. I am about 3 hours from Oxford, PA and now I wonder what the price would be if I saved for new cabinets installed rather than painting the cabinets. I will continue to work hard during my busy season and see where I stand for this year or in a future year. Thank you so much for sharing.