Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chewtoy_gw

Onyx and Staining and Grout? (Oh My!)

chewtoy
16 years ago

After what seems like an endless search, we have found a backsplash tile to love. (Photo below) It is made of onyx, and I hope someone out there can help me with a couple of questions...

First, I remember reading somewhere that since onyx is porous, it can potentially absorb (?) or get stained by dark grout. This concerns me, since I would like to use a very dark grout on the tile -- partly because I don't want to worry about the grout getting stained by cooking splashes but mainly because I think that it will enhance the pattern of the tile.

So, will sealing the tile before grouting prevent the tile from picking up stain from the dark grout? If so, what sealer would you recommend? Will the protection be permanent -- I know that the backsplash will have to be sealed regularly, but will the tiles remain protected from the grout once the grout is dry? Will regular sealing wet the grout enough to make it creep into the tile?

Also, can anyone recommend a sealer for onyx for the backsplash after it is grouted, or would we use more of the same type that was used pre-grout? (I would like to try some out now so that I can see what color the backsplash will end up so that I can choose a countertop).

Sorry to be so long-winded, and thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (7)