Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you think of this kitchen layout? enough counter space?

Posted by gingerjenny (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 22:38

This is not the house I'm planning on building but the kitchen is very similar. I like the open concept but feel i could get more counter space in a "G" shape kitchen.

http://www.birkeyhomes.com/bradford-shores-121/

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen layout

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you think of this kitchen layout? enough counter spac

"very similar" isn't much to go on. If you want a studio type/efficiency kitchen this one might work. As in you don't cook much or plan an active kitchen.

posting a layout with measurements, doors, windows, open areas and surrounding rooms will bring more input on it.

o

According to your floor plan, the back wall gives you about 16 ft. which is quite a bit. You could close off the entrance opposite the laundry area and extend cabinets there to the pantry giving you an L-shape with a large island. This would not increase your distance to other areas that much, esp. the dining area. It seems you need to weigh you priorities and needs.

o

This is nearly identical to the kitchen I will have - we're building right now so I can't comment on how it works in "real life". But a friend built a house with a similar layout and she loves it. I received a lot of negative comments about the layout - it is very different from the typical G shaped kitchen, but I think it will work great for our family. I made the island 10 feet long and 5 feet deep, which to me is more space than I've ever had to work with - but I'm no gourmet cook!

o

I have debated several times if I should close off that entry way. It wouldn't be that much futher to go when taking in groceries and such. But it would be a higher cost when it comes to cabinets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here