Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Where do you hang your dish towels?

artemis78
13 years ago

Looking for a good solution for this---original plan had been to put an appliance pull on the top panel of our sink cabinet, but in the end we went with pulls that don't come in big sizes, and I can't find one that looks vaguely similar. In the old kitchen we hung the dishtowels on the knobs of nearby uppers (none in new kitchen) or on an over-door rack that I hated intensely since it constantly fell off, so it's not making a reappearance. Our dishwasher does not have a handle that would work for towels.

Other ideas? I'm thinking:

- towel bar on sink top panel and don't worry about it looking similar to pulls---but not sure DH will go for this since he likes the panel with nothing

- towel bar on wall next to sink---we have a 20" deep wall that we could put something on that's on the far side of our dishwasher, so about 30" from the sink

- towel gadget on inside of cabinets under sink

Anyone have any of these, or other solutions that you like/dislike? Thanks!

Comments (37)

• cpartist
    13 years ago

WE have two bars that pull out from inside the sink. Out of sight, but haven't tried it out yet.

• User
    13 years ago

Cpartist, can you explain "pull out from inside the sink?" Thanks.

• blubird
    13 years ago

On my towel chicken, of course. ;-)

Helene

• mikomum
    13 years ago

currently I have them on the range handle but I'm hoping to have a towel bar under open shelving in the new kitchen.

Wanna hear my trick for getting hand towels to stay put? I put an old kilt-pin through them. That way they are always hung neat and tidy and don't become doll blankets!

• plllog
    13 years ago

I don't. I put them on the counter. If they're that wet, I wad them up and pitch into the laundry room. If I'm drying lots and lots of stemware with flour sack towels, which do get soaked fast without getting dirty, I'll hang one on my gooseneck faucet.

I thought seriously about where I might hang a towel during my design and decided that I didn't want to! If I had to, I could hang one on the handle to the Advantium. But I don't want to.

A few members have open slots with pull out towel hangers. One could even put a cane or mesh door on something like that. Some islands look nice with a towel bar on the end, (but I'd bang my hips). There are towel stands that set on the counter, and towel bars or rings that attach to the wall (what wall? I put cabinets on all of the walls). Plus, there are the nice towel bars that fit over a cabinet door. And, of course, there's the charming towel pig or chicken.

I just put mine on the counter. And if I have one started for hands and get out one for dishes I put them in different places, and use different colors, so they don't get confused. They're very handy on the counter. :)

• northcarolina
    13 years ago

I use a 3-prong swing arm rack mounted over the sink. Cheap, but it does exactly what I need. I want my dish cloth and towels to be safely out of the way of my prep work (drippy meat etc), to be able to dry out, and to be where my 3 year old can't get hold of them and use them as hats or floor cleaners or what have you. My aunts smiled when they saw that I had a kitchen towel rack just like my mom's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swing arm towel rack

• cross_stitch
    13 years ago

Pondered this back at the design stage! I have absolutely no area in my kitchen for a horizontal bar. No room below my sink. And I don't want to cross the kitchen with wet hands. So I am using a robe hook attached to the cabinet closest to the sink. We don't hang really soggy towels here and am always sure to have a decent towel hanging. I am careful not to allow a towel touch the wood behind it. The hook is from Restoration Hardware.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robe hook as towel hangar

• User
    13 years ago

I hang mine on the towel rack attached to my island. Since the renovation, I've also been on the look-out for the perfect hook to attach between the sink cabinet and the one to it's right. There's a filler strip there and having a towel AT the sink would be more convenient for me. The sink is to the right of the dishwasher, but I don't have a clear picture of the filler strip area.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I mostly use paper towels, but keep a dish towel next to the sink. When it is more than a little wet, I hang it on the range handle until dry. Once dirty, they go to lined wicker laundry basket on counter in laundry room.

When the dish towel is clean, to keep it handy I place it next to the soap and dish liquid in a vintage wooden tool caddy:

Here is a link that might be useful: repurposed wooden boxes

• mbw1
    13 years ago

I don't have a photo but I use a counter top holder the type that is typically used in a power room to hold hand towels.

I'm heading to work so I don't have time to find a link but I you would like I could post a photo tonight.

• doonie
    13 years ago

We have a cabinets with pullout arms on either side of our sink cabinet. We keep hand towels in one and dish towels in the other.

{{!gwi}}

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

On my vise:

In the past I usually draped it on the oven handle but it wasn't very convenient (too far from the sink). Previous owners had installed one of those swing arm racks on the door under the sink, but I always forgot it was there!

• User
    13 years ago

I have a 3 prong swing arm towel rack mounted on the inside of the cabinet door under the sink. I don't like towels and dishcloths as decor...

• dakota01
    13 years ago

Luckily my dishwasher has a handle/pull that I will use for my dishrags.

I do have a pretty monkey bananna holder or a chicken that I could also use.

• phoggie
    13 years ago

I guess javachick and I have the same idea....a 3 prong swing out rack mounted on the inside of the door under the sink. Like her, I don't like mine over the stove or frig handle...keep them out of sight.

• threebees
    13 years ago

Do you have a trash pullout? We put a large appliance handle on the trash pull out on the left of the sink. It is perfect!

• User
    13 years ago

Threebees, can you tell me what your handles/appliance handle are called and where you got them? Also, is the projection of your towel bar enough that a wet towel hangs out from the cabinet a bit? Thanks!

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

I keep my dishcloths and dishtowels in two drawers next to the sink, have lots of small dishcloths I use instead of towels, and most often use them only once then put them in the laundry room. That way I never have a sour dishcloth. If I'm using a bigger dishTOWEL and still feel that it's clean enough, I just lay it flat or folded in two on the counter, or sometimes over the middle of my two-bowl sink, and it dries fine.

I don't like to have towels hanging around out in the middle of a beautiful kitchen, though must say there are some lovely solutions here and I think my favorite is the towel chicken. Really! (Looks like the chicken is saddled up for a ride, LOL!) I might have to move my rooster over to the sink area.

• threebees
    13 years ago

mnerg,

My handles are Amerock Westerly Series and I purchased them from Lee Valley Hardware. I'm in Canada and they were also available at Home Depot but were more expensive there.

The smaller handles are 6 1/4" and the larger one is 14". I usually hang a folded towel on there and it touches just a little bit at the bottom hem of the towel but certainly nothing to worry about. The big handle has just over a 1 1/4" space. My hand doesn't touch the cabinet when i grab the handle.

Hope that helps.

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks, threebees! I'll look them up.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

"Cpartist, can you explain "pull out from inside the sink?" Thanks."

Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Towel bar pull out

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks, cpartist. If I don't find a large pull for the trash pull-out that works well with the handles I already have, something like you show will be the back-up option.

(Why did I not give this any thought before?)

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Sorry, I posted this before IâÂÂm just feeling a bit mischievous today lol.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/stove/?action=view&current=P1010150-1.jpg"; target="_blank">

• allison0704
    13 years ago

lol ;D

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I hate having to open a door or pullout with wet hands to get a towel. Like cross stitch, I use hooks, but mine are J-shaped and are mounted to the cabinet frame next to the sink. I have one for my hand towel and one for the dish towel. They're unobtrusive in the corner.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

On the DW handle. A bit of a pain because every time we open the DW we have to remove them or else they'd be on the floor.

The towel chicken, the vise, and the doggies made me smile.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We found this Sagatsune towel bar and had our KD get us two (one for the dish towel and one for our microfiber cloth):

• User
    13 years ago

I hang mine on the range handles but I have to give some thought to Jterrilynn- that was grrrrreat!!!!

• stayn2busy
    13 years ago

I usually just hang it over the end of the sink/ counter or if dishes are drying in the sink, lay it over them. For the prep sink on the island, I bought an 8" cabinet pull from Restoration Hardware and mounted in on the side of the island on a false panel.

• debbie1000
    13 years ago

Ours are just tossed onto the counter. We can't put the towels where they are "supposed" to be. We could hang them on the handle on the oven door, on the towel rack on our island or other hooks--but--when I do, our dogs think PLAYTIME, TUG OF WAR TIME, then I hear rrriiiippp!

But they even counter surf and help themselves to the towels on the counter anyway. Maybe I should just put them in the drawer and use paper towels.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks--love that! One of these years we will finally get our new work table to complete the kitchen so maybe there's potential there!

Incidentally, two years later I can update this to say that after all of the planning, we now hang our towels on the handles of our O'Keefe and Merritt range, which works quite nicely (though it may not be the smartest place as far as heat/grease...) I haven't thought about it one way or the other for a while, though, so I guess that means it's working well enough!

• melaska
    11 years ago

I'd like to see a pic of that, artemis. Another nice thing about the rolling pin idea is it suits Alton Brown's love of multi-tasking equipment ;)

• artemis78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ask and ye shall receive! :) (So fun to visit here, btw--glad I'm still subscribed to some threads!)

Here's our finished kitchen--the sink is just out of the shot to the left, so this actually turned out to be a very handy place to hang the towels. This one is hanging on the cabinet side of the oven, but we often have one hanging on both sides (with the theory that one is for hands and one for dishes, but that doesn't always work out...)

• melaska
    11 years ago

LOVE your kitchen! Could you give me a link to see the whole kitchen? Love your oven, too :) Great color for your cupboards. :)

• rosie
    11 years ago

Mnerg, I hang towels on a simple long handle like Threebees, only it's a regular drawer handle that's even simpler and shorter (holds any kitchen towel folded in half lengthwise). It does NOT match my other, regular handles--but no one notices because of the towel hanging on it, and that's what I wanted to point out. The handle is the same metal as the others and has simple bent ends with no mass or detail to stick out and grab attention.

BTW, I have two. One is also on my garbage pullout next to the sink. No matter how messy my hands are, it doesn't matter with a towel always there. But the other is on the inside of my island right where my hands get messy 95% of the time. When I think of the things I did right in this kitchen these little details always leap right out.

• melissastar
    11 years ago

hang them? You're supposed to hang them?