Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

Um...is it ok or frowned upon to offer something for sale?

melissastar
13 years ago

Don't want to break etiquette and I don't think I've seen anything that either encourages or prohibits this. I'd just like to see my "mistake" go to a good home...maybe recover some of my loss and benefit someone on this great site with a bargain.

Could one or more of you long-timers advise, please?

Comments (90)

• eustacem
    13 years ago

Dianalo,

If one were in NJ not too far from you how would one get in touch with you re: your craigslist posting? ; )

Thanks!

--Eustacem

• jenellecal
    13 years ago

OMG this is hilarious.

Last reno I had so many oppes - I'm hoping to not have so many this time :)

Anyone have SS dishdrawers they've changed their minds on :)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

just thought this really needed to be bumped

• cj47
    13 years ago

I love this post. It's hilarious and it also makes me feel sooo much better about some of my own dubious purchases.
    Like that Viking single induction hob--what did I think I needed one of those for when I've got my full sized cooktop sitting right there in the kitchen with 5 burners? Like I could plug a 6th sad little burner into the wall outlet next to it? Who has the counter real estate for that? I'm not sure what I was thinking, but it's off to Craigslist for it. I think I might have better luck getting it in the summertime--since induction doesn't throw heat into an already hot kitchen. Here in southeastern Wisconsin, it's absolutely frigid--I'd probably do better with something that warmed up the kitchen a little!

:-p
    Cj

• Katie S
    13 years ago

Wow! What a great thread! As I sat sighing about the used but beautiful 36" Gaggenau stainless convention pizza oven we simply cannot fit into our new kitchen here in marietta, Georgia, I thought about how much better I would feel if I found someone with a potfiller lying around gathering dust, so that we could commiserate.

• Delilah66
    13 years ago

Glad this was bumped...I forgot all about it until I passed by my extra 16.5 inch wide x 42.5 inch tall Garden District mirror. Ballard Design only sold them in pairs and I needed three for an area just outside my kitchen. I thought I would just sell the extra one on CL, but here in SE VA almost in NC, I'm not so sure I want to invite strangers into my home. What do you all think? Would it be safe or should I just save the extra mirror for a new friend?

• leela4
    13 years ago

I, too, had forgotten about this post, but I'm glad it was revived. Santa was a little confused this year and thought we needed a lot of extra different kinds of glass shades for our 6 pendants in the new kitchen area; he brought me 3 different kinds, but I really don't need that many. I am going to try to sell them (and the fixtures as well, because DH doesn't like them) on CL, but having very little experience with this kind of thing, especially in the eastern WA area, I was wondering what you all think I should ask for them. It is quite a conundrum for me, as I know shades are easily acquired at stores like HD, but some of them are quite nice (one set of 6 is Hubbardton Forge glass).

TIA for any help you can give me.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Golly, does no one in LA ever decorate an ooops-tree? I know we're all perfect out here, but still I'm surprised.... I can tell you we have an impressive amount of mistakes but I'm not sure any of them is salable.... as a newbie I appreciated the thread a while back explaining how to enable one's email on one's personal page....

• kathec
    13 years ago

Does anyone think that a 36" Double Domsjo sink with an upper corner cracked off is something I should sell, say, on craigslist in the North Dallas Fort Worth area? I bought it from the AS IS section for around $55 and was planning to undermount it so the corner wouldn't be an issue. However, I've decided to go with the smaller single bowl sink in an effort to gain more counter space.

Do you gardenwebbers think there is anyone who might be able to use this sink in their kitchen for around $40?

Or a 36" painted maple vent hood cover (not the liner) that I got with my cabinet set that I can't use since it's too tall and won't work with the soffits in my kitchen. Maybe it's something I could put up on craigslist for $200. Or maybe I could work something out with an interested party in the North Dallas Fort Worth area. Here's what it looks like in case anyone is curious:

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I feel less silly now that I know how many people have their oops items. Here on LI (NY) I still have my luxury shower unit I am hoping to sell. I will put it on CL for $1k firm, but am worried about having strangers into our house. Do you think it is likely to sell?
    It is still in the box but looks exactly like this same model:{{!gwi}}

I'd also let go of a downdraft vent for very cheap. We ended up going with a chimney hood after all, so won't be needing it. Luckily, I am not far from the metro NY area....

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Ha, this is a great thread for us too...after a lot of hemming and hawing, we decided it was just too much of a pain to re-work our plumbing to fit in the Tapmaster Euro 1775 that we bought way too early in the process...lesson learned. Hopefully someone else in the SF Bay Area will have heard of this thing and want to take it off our hands! (But @dianalo, I do have some photos of the little "box" DH built to access the in-wall shut-offs for our wall-mount faucet, which turned out nicely---I have to remember to post them for you. Had we thought that one through earlier, it would have been simple to put the connections for the Tapmaster in while the plumbing was being done, and the box solves the access issue.)

And then just this week, as the cabinetmaker got ready to put the hardware on, DH says "wha?!? why are there latches going on those cabinets?!?" to the latches on the bottom row of our stacked uppers. Turns out when he said he was fine with latches on the uppers, he meant the REALLY upper uppers---not all of them. *sigh* So now we're stuck with two extra polished nickel small latches from Rejuvenation that are well beyond the return period...argh. One more thing to add to our spring cleaning sale, I guess!

• morgne
    13 years ago

CJ47,

That viking portable hob? What model is that? You should make sure you include that information on your CL ad. I don't know if you knew that they recently had a break between models on those.

M.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

kathec, WOW I certainly wish I was in your Craig's List area because that is a really pretty hood. I am certain someone in your area will be just waiting for that Craig's listing.

As for us, the oopsies I have made--for the most part--were listed on Craig's List and found new homeowners, but I am pretty sure that we have other stuff laying around our Twin Cities Metro area of Minnesota home that we could add to Craig's List--unless the Hubster found them new homes. He tends to do that. I will have to do some investigating. Perhaps someone in my area will list a nice OTR microwave, preferably with convection--most likely stainless. That would be OK by me. ;^)

Great, FUN thread!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Artemis - maybe someone in the SF area will email you so that you can tell them when you will put the Tapmaster on CL. I know that is a most popular GW item. You might want to post a picture of your latches as well.

Your photo of the area behind your sink is priceless. Telling contractors something can be done and showing them a photo are 2 very different things. Sadly, our moronic architect has screwed up our timeline so our kitchen install won't be happening until 2/7. It was supposed to be 1/18. So, we add another 3 weeks of cramped living in our bsmt. ARGHHHHHHHH!

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

artemis--do they have post offices in San Francisco? They do around here, I live outside of Philadelphia. Just wondering.

So used to always using email, I tend to forget what cities have mail service.

• Delilah66
    13 years ago

BKW - seriously funny

• dianalo
    13 years ago

BKW - I almost choked on my coffee.... love it.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Well, my mistake wasn't really mine but the Miele company's mistake. How silly of them to send me an upright Tango S7 with the purchase of my DW and fridge! They should have sent me some carpet for that since I have all HW floors! I'm sure one of my friends in the SF Bay Area would like a nice gift, but none of them are deserving of such a wonderful machine :)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Wow! I did not know what a Tango was and googled it. It is a vacuum cleaner and sells for $850 on Amazon. I bet someone will want to return your kindness with a check for a part of that $850...

• onerae
    13 years ago

Ya'll are hilarious....

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

I LOVE this thread!

• marcydc
    13 years ago

I should say also that the Miele company just doesn't do sales so one wouldn't find it less than that amount anywhere. And they were kind enough to give me a years supply of bags as well.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

I'm bumping this because it's so funny to read.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

@beekeeperswife, that's so funny---we DO have a post office here too! Really is a small world. I'll email you and we can compare notes on what you think of yours...

And we did come up with a great idea on what to do with the rest of this miscellaneous stuff we've collected over the remodeling process (not only the bigger "oops" things but also the ridiculous things like fourteen samples of gray paint and all the new-old-stock hinges I was so excited to find on eBay back when we were just planning to rehab our old cabinets, which needed some bizarre size of offset hinges). We're going to have a virtual garage sale, to be held in tandem with an actual garage sale! We'll take pictures of everything and put it up on my house blog, and then local folks can check it out and come to the sale in person, and if people from afar are interested in the more shippable things, we'll set up listings on eBay or Paypal or something like that to facilitate that. Probably won't get rolling on this till the kitchen is actually finished-finished later this spring (not sure I want to risk redirecting any energy until then!!) but I'll be sure to post the link here when we get organized, and y'all can let me know what you think I should change on it or do differently before we send it out to the world. :)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I just remembered the brand new white porch swing that is still in a box and won't be used because we took the front porch off the plan when we had to economize. It may not be worth shipping as it is heavy and big, but I probably will be putting it on CL sometime soon if no one I know (hint, hint) is interested. I am in NY and wonder what you think a fair price would be. I can be emailed if someone has an idea of what price I should be asking.
    I will probably do like artemis at the end of our project with all the rediscovered items that aren't being used. We had too much time to plan and buy and have a bit of a collection to get rid of when all is said and done.

• carybk
    13 years ago

I am thinking about posting a Ticor cutting board (that I mistakenly ordered for the wrong sized sink) on Craigslist. I am not sure what price would be appropriate at all. I guess I would also need to clarify for Craigslisters that it is the one that goes with S305, S305D, S315, S205D, S605, and S615. Love this thread!

• leela4
    13 years ago

All of these oops posts have reminded me of a few more mistakes we made with our remodel. One was not needing our GE OTR MW; I was thinking of listing it on CL for 1/3 the original price, but not sure if that is too much (or too little?) Another big oops was the custom sliding shelf with full extension glides I ordered for the cabinet over the refrigerator, but then decided took up more room than I wanted. I sure wish I could use it somewhere else, but I really have no place for it. Golly, would someone on CL really go for something like that, do you think? Although I can still get to my mailbox even through all this snow in Eastern WA where I live, I also can receive emails if anyone has any input on appropriate price levels for my oops items.

• bh401
    13 years ago

Do you guys have any idea what to do with a 4'x5' "glass block" window? I am now stuck with it even though I didn't use it. Manufacturer took forever and we ended up changing the window- expanded the shower (We decided it the day the window came in-we didn't know it) Now here I am in freezing in Arkansas with this custome window that cost me over $500. I was hoping GC would swap it out for half the cost. He could us it in another build but I guess not. You guys have any ideas?

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

oops, I should have ordered a Tapmaster when we reno'd. But it wasn't something I really was thinking about back then here, outside Philadelphia, where it is so cold. Beekeeperswife at gmail dot com

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

waterdamage,
    I tried to email you to talk about sinks and stuff, so we won't bore everyone else on this thread , but I don't see that I can do that. Would you like to email me?
    Stacey

• debbie1031
    13 years ago

I was sooooo excited when I got a 36" induction cooktop through CL for my remodel (tearing down a wall between kitchen and dining room and starting a design from scratch). Then we had the news that a move would be necessary and decided to remodel within the existing kitchen plan and keep the corian counters as is for money savings- along with our 30" electric- that's right, electric-cooktop. Shaking my head at the shame of it... such a waste. I've often wondered if it would be worth re-listing on CL to see if there is an owner of a 30" induction cooktop who wants to go bigger. You'd think someone would- but what do I know?

• allison0704
    13 years ago

fyi, I'm now going to be waterless when in my storage closet since DD2 has requested my Kohler Fairfax single hole faucets. Seems her new 6'4" DH thinks it's silly to have to get on his knees to brush his teeth in the MBath. Go figure.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Debbie1031, I have a question for you that I thought I'd take "offline"...but your email isn't turned on.

BTW...what is the manufacturer (& model #) of your cooktop...that will greatly influence the price you can ask if you put it on CL again. Also whether it was new or used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Getting Emails Sent To You...3-step Process

• debbie1031
    13 years ago

Hi Buehl,
    I think I followed your directions correctly for above. Regardless, my e-mail is Oursbelille@hotmail.com. I just went out and took down the model number ET9752UC and after googling it, it looks like it is an electric cooktop with a ton of great features, but not induction after all; explaining the phenomenal price I got on it. It's a Siemens, made in Germany, in perfect condition with touch slide controls, cold to hot in 5 seconds, size-adaptable elements and bridge elements, with all elements able to simmer, but I assume doesn't become immediately cool. It retails at $1150-$1200 new, and I only paid $300 for it. Truth be told I would trade it for something as nice and smaller.

• bh401
    13 years ago

Think this needs a bump. It was getting lost.

• scrappy25
    13 years ago

I just got reminded of my "appliance store" in my basement that is awaiting my much delayed kitchen remodel! Bids for our expansion were way high so I stopped thinking about it now for several months. I may have to redo the layout in the existing space. My previous layout was for my "dream kitchen" and I purchased appliances accordingly! Talk about foolish! I did buy ebay/display items but after a year I am sure prices have dropped. I did verify that the wolf/subzero warranties only start when installed (I called with the serial numbers and they are valid as new items), I have read on this forum that the gaggenau warranty is variable depending on the installer.

So IF I decide to list on Baltimore CL (not certain by any means), how would you reasonably price the following?

-36" new in box gaggenau induction cooktop from ebay vendor CI491610
    -36" new stainless thermador hood 600 cfm PHH36 from CL- opened but never installed.
    -27" new open box gaggenau combo steam oven ED231610 from ebay vendor
    -30" display (new) Wolf single wall oven SO30F/S
    24" display (new) Wolf microwave with trim kit to match 30" wall oven. MW24
    -42" display (new) Subzero 642/O side by side refrigerator, paneled. (this monster is in our living room!)
    -27" new in box subzero 700 BR refrigerator drawers,panel ready
    -24" display Uline Built-in Combo Ice Maker/Refrigerator Drawers C2275DWR panel ready
    -30" dacor epicure warming drawer, bought from someone who change their mind- never installed. stainless front, few light scratches that can be buffed out.
    -Fisher Paykel Single Drawer Integrated Dishwasher Panel ready, new in box.

Oiy! When I think of the time I spent researching and procuring these items!

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

wow scrappy, that really will be quite a CL post! ;)

bumping for the peeps...

• senator13
    13 years ago

I was just thinking about how many things I would love to buy, if only I could sell this Andersen Frenchwood Glider and Andersen window that was misordered for our kitchen area. Can you take a look at this link and see if you can give me any feedback on how I might appeal to potential buyers? Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Andersen window and door

• worldmom
    13 years ago

If only I could figure out what to with the DUOTRIMKIT I mistakenly ordered for our Frigidare all-fridge and all-freezer, the 3 English stained glass windows I thought I could incorporate somehow, the 20 or so extra polished nickel cabinet latches that I now don't need, the 9" SS backsplash for my Electrolux rangetop, the gallon of BM Ocean Air...

Too bad we can't have the mother-of-all yard sale with all of our boo-boos. I see lots of things I'd like to take off of others' hands!

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

oh, worldmom, thanks for bumping. How is the weather in your neck of the woods, btw? Oh, duh, where is your neck of the woods. I'm sure there are GW members who really would like to know.

• dekeoboe
    13 years ago

worldmom sorry to hear about the English stained glass windows. I have seven of them I am hoping to incorporate in our house and sometimes I think I didn't buy enough.

• Adrienne Gray
    13 years ago

stei7141, with it being winter, I'd really hate for you to use that Thermador Freedom column door as a sled. Stainless steel is really slippery and someone in your house might injure themselves. Seems like you should take it on a trip down south where lives wouldn't be endangered. I know good places to bring it - but you email isn't active. adrienne @ the momtographers dot com

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Knee deep in reno and just removed a custom made, 1987, padded cornice which is about 86 inches long and 19 to 21 inches high. All you need to do is cover it with your fabric and staple it to the back. I have a photo on my email but I dont know how to post here. Very simple lines.

NOrthern Chicago suburb. Free.

• chestnut3
    13 years ago

I'm thinking about posting on CL in the Pittsburgh area- large amount of Red Ludowici Terra Cotta Roofing tiles. They are beautiful and in great shape. I hope someone would like to buy them from me. They are on pallets and ready to go. Anyone have a suggestion for a price? Thinking of $200/square and there are 100 square feet of tile per "square."

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I have so many Longaberger baskets, all from earlier than 2001 just sitting in my basement now. I think they are piled waste high. I really wonder if anybody even uses them or collects them any longer. Not sure if I should list them on CL or what.....I think the people in the Philadelphia area might use CL for things like this...

any thoughts?

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

duhhhhh, "waist high"

• aliris19
    12 years ago

I like the first, Freudian suggestion! (no offense intended...; I don't even know what a Longaberger basket is)

• prill
    12 years ago

Bee, I like waste high!
    Those don't really seem like your current style.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I was just thinking of this thread today as I looked at our brand new in the box white porch swing. Not sure how we will sell it here on Long Island, NY.
    I also have a nice freestanding bathroom cabinet that did not fit in our layout (also white) that is brand new. I may put them on CL when I have the time. Too bad I don't know anyone who wants these.... If anyone wants to see pix to better advise me how to sell them, I'd be happy to oblige.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention the 3 pretty pendant lights that work perfectly over an island or bar. We ended up needed larger sizes so these are stuck in their sealed boxes.... sigh... Maybe they can hang out with the vanity light (white and chrome) that I was told was too much to go with our sconces and which is hanging out lonely in its box. The electrician felt it would be like using suspenders and a belt, so we skipped it, lol...