Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

Planning what will go where in my new kitchen

shelly_k
14 years ago

So many savvy folks here have recommended planning exactly what will go where in the kitchen cabinetry before ordering. Very good idea!

So I set about planning what will go in each cabinet and drawer. I have all base drawers (except sink and trash) so I started with filling all the drawers.

But I have nothing in my upper cabinets, except above the area where I will do baking! For uppers, I have 2 36-inch cabs and 1 42-inch cab.

Granted, my current kitchen is much shorter on cabinetry than my new one will be, but did you all have a bunch of empty cabinets in your new kitchen? I have empty drawers too!

I'll fill it up, right? :) I have all my dishes and glasses in lower drawers - maybe I'd rather have them in uppers?

Comments (18)

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

lol! a few have posted that they have extra space... it'll be gone in no time tho.

as I planned out mine I realized also that not much would go in the uppers... not too bad for me since I can only reach the first shelf in any of them anyway.

I'm planning on one to be for things like syrup, pbutter, probably my sugar container, crackers, spaghetti and a few other things. ok, I don't have much of food stuffs like that normally anyway...lol!
    another will be used for things put in plastic containers - like snacks and stuff. 1 small one will be for oils and a go round for my 12 spices...

i'll put stuff seldom used on the 2nd shelf up. and very, very seldom used on the top shelf. unless i can afford glass up there - then i'll put decorative things on the top shelf of a few. well, I'll only have a few uppers anyway...

• plllog
    14 years ago

There's one of those "rules" that says the amount of stuff you have is just slightly greater than the amount of space you have to put it away.

The theory of mise-en-place, and basic ergonomics say that your most useful storage is within reach while you're standing flat footed in front without stretching. For most folks in most kitchens, this means the top couple of drawers and the bottom couple of shelves in the uppers.

Some of it will shake out after you've been in the kitchen for awhile and figure out what really works for you. The important thing is that you have a place for everything. Sometimes people (not GWer's who get through the forum plan check) get so carried away with a pretty design they find out when they move back in that they don't have anywhere to put stuff.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I'd probably put the glasses in the uppers, just b/c they're usually more sensitive to movement. But, many GWers do store their glasses in drawers & have no issues.

I put my most-used cookbooks in one of my cabinets.

Like you, I ended up with some cabinets empty or almost empty, so I...

(1) Moved just about everything out of the glass doored cabinets and now only have a few things in them arranged for looks. Many of the items are still used semi-regularly (like the teapot), but they're stored decoratively.

(2) Moved my "winter dishes" from boxes in the basement to a cabinet year-round. No more getting out the boxes for them and storing away my most used dishes for 3 months or so. It's much easier this way!

• azmelt
    14 years ago

Shelly, I'm right at the point where you are in my kitchen planning--putting everything "away" on my paper plan. We'll have all drawers on the lowers, but I, too, seem to have ended up with extra space in my uppers. I keep thinking I've made a mistake somewhere. Maybe now I can bring in some of the stuff stored in the garage (pressure cooker, bread machine) and actually place it in the kitchen!! How nice for us to have extra space.

• eks6426
    14 years ago

Uppers are wear those holiday serving dishes go for me. The stuff that doesn't get used on a daily basis goes on the top 2 shelves of the uppers.

I would love to have the empty drawer problem :)

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad to know I am not unusual in my planning...and my empty space. :-)

I am estimating too... not yet sure what the depth will be of the deeper drawers so I may not be able to fit quite as much in there as I have planned. I am hoping for an 8 inch depth, but I need to talk to my KD or go measure myself.

I have the most used stuff in the top two drawers and I have a lower deep drawer for kid dishes (corelle). I also have a drawer by the microwave drawer for kid cups. So I could put the glass cups for adults in the uppers since the kids won't need to reach those. Just trying to create storage for kid things so they can easily reach it for setting the table or getting a drink (they are 4 and 3).

I have a walk in pantry where I am storing large things and I also have a buffet in the eating area which is nearly empty as well for larger platters or extra sets of dishes (which I really don't have right now). The buffet will only be 20 inch depth, though.

It's wierd b/c I think my kitchen is definitely on the average size since I only have 3 upper cabinets (large ones), but those drawers seem like they will hold alot! We'll have to see when I get in there, though.

The one thing that I don't have anywhere in my kitchen is a 4 drawer stack. So my shallow drawers are less plentiful. I have 2 39-inch shallow drawers, one 24-inch shallow drawer, and 2 21-inch shallow drawers. This seems plenty for me, but what do you guys think? Enough for utentsils, spices (those go in a drawer) and potholders/mitts.??

• teresa518
    14 years ago

I had the same problem. But when I finally got to putting everything back, I ended up filling most of the uppers.

I have outdoor (plastic) dishes and serving items that I was not able to store in the kitchen before. I am also able to store all my holiday dishes, and other items that used to "live" in boxes.

I used one of my cabinets for cookbooks too. I have the glasses and everyday dishes on shelves in the uppers. I am short so can only use the first two shelves of my uppers. The rest have rarely used items.

I too would kill for one or two more drawers..... You do fill it up and once you start unpacking, you "remember" things that you hadn't accounted for (e.g. onion soup crocks, platters and trays, etc.)

• judydel
    14 years ago

Shelly,
    Give us an update when your cabinets are in and you've unpacked. I suspect you won't have too much extra space. If you do . . . count your blessings! You can always shop. : )

• fran1523
    14 years ago

I would love to have your problem. As it is, if I buy anything new, something else has to go.

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You all are right, I'm probably missing things in my list ... I'm sure I'll find more to put in my cabinets.

We will be ordering cabs in a month or so, but our house likely won't be done until August... so I'll have to wait awhile to see how things fit.

Anyone have a comment on the 4 drawer stack -- do I need one?

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Shelly - Shallow drawers are useful for placemats, gadgets, and measuring cups. I could use another drawer stack.

A deep drawer that isn't full to the top is a waste of space, and if you start stacking things you lose the convenience.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I found one 24" wide 4-drawer stack very useful. My 4-drawer stack has 3 shallow and one not-so shallow drawer (bottom drawer). It holds flatware in the top drawer, then wraps & plastic baggies, then extension cords, and finally, in the bottom drawer, bread.

What do I have in shallow drawers?

• 36" under cooktop: Cooking utensils, knives, prep tools, & can openers

• 33" near sink: Linens (dish cloths/towels & microfiber cloths)

• 30" in Baking Center: Baking tools, foil, & parchment paper

• 27" next to ovens: Serving-type utensils (pizza cutters, bottle openers, corkscrew, ice cream scoops, etc.) and oven tools (meat thermometers, basters, temperature probe)

• 27" in Pet Center & facing outside the Kitchen: Flashlights, batteries, spare night-light bulbs, & small screwdrivers

• 24" in Baking Center b/w the cooktop & ovens: Pot holders

• 24" on peninsula near DR & MW (the 4-drawer stack): flatware in the top drawer; wax paper, wraps, & plastic bags (food storage) in the second drawer; extension cords in the third drawer

• 18" over trash pullout: Junk drawer (most of us end up having one, so I planned for one to control the location!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Buehl's Drawer Insides

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Buehl. I think I could use a 4 drawer stack, but the problem is that it doesn't fit in well, symmetry wise. I'm not sure where I would put one. I will have to think on it.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Shelly, the other thing you can do if you prefer the look without the four drawers is put a tray in one deeper drawer. It can lift out, and sit on little blocks attached to the sides, and it can even be shorter front to back and slide. There are some that are commercially available, but it's a pretty easy thing to make, as well. Great for plastic lids, placemats, large "utensils" like spatter screens and over sized spatulas, etc.

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, plllog. I have never seen that done, but it would work to help with a too deep drawer. This is also the area where I have 2 empty deeper drawers (21 inches) so I'm not sure what will go there. Hmmm...

• plllog
    14 years ago

BTW, another thing you can do is a drawer within a drawer. This is a little more customization, but works really well. You have two shallow drawers in a deeper space, but only one drawer front. You have to open the lower drawer to access the upper drawer, but you don't have anything to lift out.

If you're buying standard boxes, you can have your carpenter cut down and finish the sides of the main drawer, and then install a pullout inside.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

In my case, it worked out well b/c the 4-drawer stack is on the end of the peninsula next to the corner sink base so there are no other drawers next to it. It's sort of "stand alone". I understand about the symmetry concern.

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I talked to my KD again today and without adding a cabinet to my island (which I don't want to do) we can't find a good spot for a 4 drawer stack that would look good as well. So thanks for the suggestions!