Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remodel cost????

Posted by dntutley (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 22:22

I just got the estimate for my remodel. Cabinet cost are $9500 plus labor to remove old and install new for a grand total of $20,000. How does this sound? Accurate, high or low? It's actually the company that my wife works for and they are not giving any break on labor at all.... just standard labor and profit.

By the time I add appliances and countertops I am over 30k. Seems high and would like some help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remodel cost????

Yes, kitchen remodels are expensive! Unfortunately, its hard to say whether the quote you got is too high without a lot more information. How big is your kitchen? How many cabinets are you purchasing? What kind of cabinets are you purchasing? Where are you purchasing them from?

Spend some time reading old posts on this forum and you will learn more than you ever could asking a general question like this.

o

I like the car analogy. The cost of a new kitchen is about the same as the cost of a new car. The price will vary depending on the size, brand, style and quality you want.

o

Get several estimates. Since your wife's company is doing you no favors check others. Are you saying the cabinets are $9500 and the labor to remove and install is $10,500?

o

"Posted by debrak_2008 (My Page) on Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 7:14
Get several estimates. Since your wife's company is doing you no favors check others. Are you saying the cabinets are $9500 and the labor to remove and install is $10,500?"

Yes, that's what I am saying. Is it normal for labor to be 1:1 ratio

o

It depends on what labor you're talking about. Basic cabinet installs, without demo, usually take around 10-15% of the cost of the cabinets. If you're adding in demo, some electrical, plumbing, appliance installs, a wall coming down, drywall work, flooring installs etc, then yes, your labor will probably be higher than the cabinets.

The national average for kitchen remodels is now around 45K for a like to like replacement of all materials. If you would be keeping some elements, think lower. If you would be doing more involved construction, like moving major items or taking down a wall, think more money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here