Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neolith Countertops

Posted by shar18 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 22:20

We have just discovered a new option for countertops. These are manufactured in Spain and just now coming into the U.S Does anyone have these yet? any thoughts for or against.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neolith Countertops

Never heard of it before but I googled it and I like what I hear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neolith

o

Found this too....way cool!

Here is a link that might be useful: thesize

o

shar 18:

My concern is who pays the cost for the risk of fabrication and installation. There is always a learning curve for fabricating new material and someone's got to pay tuition. I'd be interested in knowing how difficult it is to fabricate. Are there internal stresses that are released during fabrication as with some estones? I'd hate to have to meet an installation deadline with replacement material coming all the way from Spain. When it gets here, will it match?

o

There are other sources of porcelain slabs for countertops. DAL tile has SlimLite, it is recommended for countertops and comes in sheets of 39 x 118. As does Kerlite, I am thinking of using in a bath, they even have a porcelain Calacatta.

o

We saw these at KBIS last year. The material is stock locally. We just found a fabricator who has a good bit of experience with it. Just got samples and will be visiting an installation soon.
I'm excited about it and expect to be using it.
My wife is in love with them, almost wants to change out our counters.

o

I checked the Dal website and the origin of their tile is also Spain. Perhaps it's the same manufacturer? Thesize though had many more design options for counters. I personally loved the Marfil but for some reason the local distributor doesn't carry any of the designs that replicate marble. I'm calling today to find out more.

I'm wondering what the weak link is for these counters. How easy are they to crack? When i saw the video of one being fabricated it looked extremely easy. They had at times one person picking it up by themselves. It looked almost as if they were handling laminate. I would imagine the lightweightness and thinness decreases fabrication costs considerable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Installation & Care Instructions

This post was edited by aloha2009 on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 9:09

o

The material is also used for inside/outside walls, ceilings, floors, and subway tunnels.

o

I hope that some people do try this out for counter tops and report back their experiences. It looks lovely, but I would want to hear more about durability, staining, etc., before trying it in my kitchen.

o

I called around to some of the fabricators on the list you have Neolith experience. The 1st two I called said that yes they had done it but would NEVER do it again. Besides saying it was a bunch of crap, I didn't understand the problems.

One that currently installs in and has been around for 70 years doing flooring and counters said they do install it but not very often...never so far for counters. I'm seeing red flags popping up everywhere!

o

The fabricator I spoke with has no problem with it. Said to use the thicker material, put a microbevel on the edge and a good substrate. It is apparently more precise than basic slab work.
Specs for heat and stain are super. Will be abusing samples shortly to understand chipping and hope to see an installation within the month. Plan to put in a display in the spring.
This stuff isn't new, used in Europe for some time.

This post was edited by jakuvall on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 21:56

o

jakuvall - any update on putting in a display? or have you seen an installation?

o

I love the concept. So much more environmentally friendly that shipping giant slabs of stuff around. Seems so much more flexible to accommodate a variety of surfacing.

Yeah, I'll have granite counters installed within the week. But my choice would be something like Neolith if the price was right and I had confidence in the fabrication process.

I agree with Trebuchet that "early adopters" will pay for the learning curve and "boutique product" thing that new products go through.

o

No news. The job that required a visit to see ended up in quartz. Got very busy and brought on another designer so time and money for display is going to support that for now ( software, hardware, training, and salary). Hopefully I'll have recouped in the fall if things keep up

o

I just got an email that Alpha is now manufacturing special tooling to fabricate sintered tops. They must believe this stuff is going to become more popular. Somebody's gotta pay for those tools, and it ain't gonna be the fabricator.

o

Just saw slabs in Brooklyn this week and the estatuario marble look-a-like is beautiful! Looks exactly like honed marble, just not cold to the touch. I am ordering it for my kitchen counters. White with some grey and some beige in it probably a little like Calcutta gold? Really impressive. They said it wasn't difficult to fabricate, heat and stain resistant. Looking for a ny fabricator with experience with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here