Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shar18_gw

Neolith Countertops

shar18
10 years ago

We have just discovered a new option for countertops. These are manufactured in Spain and just now coming into the U.S Does anyone have these yet? any thoughts for or against.

Thanks

Comments (31)

• aloha2009
    10 years ago

Never heard of it before but I googled it and I like what I hear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neolith

• aloha2009
    10 years ago

Found this too....way cool!

Here is a link that might be useful: thesize

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

shar 18:

My concern is who pays the cost for the risk of fabrication and installation. There is always a learning curve for fabricating new material and someone's got to pay tuition. I'd be interested in knowing how difficult it is to fabricate. Are there internal stresses that are released during fabrication as with some estones? I'd hate to have to meet an installation deadline with replacement material coming all the way from Spain. When it gets here, will it match?

• localeater
    10 years ago

There are other sources of porcelain slabs for countertops. DAL tile has SlimLite, it is recommended for countertops and comes in sheets of 39 x 118. As does Kerlite, I am thinking of using in a bath, they even have a porcelain Calacatta.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

We saw these at KBIS last year. The material is stock locally. We just found a fabricator who has a good bit of experience with it. Just got samples and will be visiting an installation soon.
    I'm excited about it and expect to be using it.
    My wife is in love with them, almost wants to change out our counters.

• aloha2009
    10 years ago

I checked the Dal website and the origin of their tile is also Spain. Perhaps it's the same manufacturer? Thesize though had many more design options for counters. I personally loved the Marfil but for some reason the local distributor doesn't carry any of the designs that replicate marble. I'm calling today to find out more.

I'm wondering what the weak link is for these counters. How easy are they to crack? When i saw the video of one being fabricated it looked extremely easy. They had at times one person picking it up by themselves. It looked almost as if they were handling laminate. I would imagine the lightweightness and thinness decreases fabrication costs considerable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Installation & Care Instructions

This post was edited by aloha2009 on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 9:09

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

The material is also used for inside/outside walls, ceilings, floors, and subway tunnels.

• sail_away
    10 years ago

I hope that some people do try this out for counter tops and report back their experiences. It looks lovely, but I would want to hear more about durability, staining, etc., before trying it in my kitchen.

• aloha2009
    10 years ago

I called around to some of the fabricators on the list you have Neolith experience. The 1st two I called said that yes they had done it but would NEVER do it again. Besides saying it was a bunch of crap, I didn't understand the problems.

One that currently installs in and has been around for 70 years doing flooring and counters said they do install it but not very often...never so far for counters. I'm seeing red flags popping up everywhere!

• kbb100
    9 years ago

jakuvall - any update on putting in a display? or have you seen an installation?

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I love the concept. So much more environmentally friendly that shipping giant slabs of stuff around. Seems so much more flexible to accommodate a variety of surfacing.

Yeah, I'll have granite counters installed within the week. But my choice would be something like Neolith if the price was right and I had confidence in the fabrication process.

I agree with Trebuchet that "early adopters" will pay for the learning curve and "boutique product" thing that new products go through.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

No news. The job that required a visit to see ended up in quartz. Got very busy and brought on another designer so time and money for display is going to support that for now ( software, hardware, training, and salary). Hopefully I'll have recouped in the fall if things keep up

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I just got an email that Alpha is now manufacturing special tooling to fabricate sintered tops. They must believe this stuff is going to become more popular. Somebody's gotta pay for those tools, and it ain't gonna be the fabricator.

• Martha Alvarez
    9 years ago

Just saw slabs in Brooklyn this week and the estatuario marble look-a-like is beautiful! Looks exactly like honed marble, just not cold to the touch. I am ordering it for my kitchen counters. White with some grey and some beige in it probably a little like Calcutta gold? Really impressive. They said it wasn't difficult to fabricate, heat and stain resistant. Looking for a ny fabricator with experience with it.

• amycash
    9 years ago

Any update on the fabrication and/or installation of Neolith? We are considering it for a fireplace bench, but don't have much info… Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Take measurements and cash to a fabricator just before lunch. Don't be fussy and take a remnant.

• dietitian
    9 years ago

following... I am interested in neolith as well.

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

an Neolith, Dekton, Lapitec, Fiandre. Still trying to sort all this out for an up coming job that we will be using one of them on. All have a bit different look and even after seeing them all at the kitchen and bath show a few weeks ago and in showrooms here in LA still not sure. Availability is also issue although most are stocked here and this texture thing some have I'm not a fan of. Pricing is all over the place at this point. Same top San Fran was nearly double of what I got quoted in LA. Fabricators have to take a certification class to be able to sell it and invest in some specialized cutting blades but it seems like some are just charging a premium because it's new and not a lot of people working with it. It has to be mitered to get any kind of thick edge. It has some great properties but be prepared to pay for it.

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

an Neolith, Dekton, Lapitec, Fiandre. Still trying to sort all this out for an up coming job that we will be using one of them on. All have a bit different look and even after seeing them all at the kitchen and bath show a few weeks ago and in showrooms here in LA still not sure. Availability is also issue although most are stocked here and this texture thing some have I'm not a fan of. Pricing is all over the place at this point. Same top San Fran was nearly double of what I got quoted in LA. Fabricators have to take a certification class to be able to sell it and invest in some specialized cutting blades but it seems like some are just charging a premium because it's new and not a lot of people working with it. It has to be mitered to get any kind of thick edge. It has some great properties but be prepared to pay for it.

• PRO
    TheSize
    9 years ago

Hi jdesign_gw, thanks for your feedback. Price is impacted from location to location based on a number of factors, including shipping costs (to get the material in from Spain), color, thickness, slab size and fabrication needs. Many fabricators of Neolith are specially certified, but any marble or granite fabricator can handle the product with tools they already have (diamond saws and waterjet are popular methods).

Let us know if you have other questions! Thanks for your interest!

• enzaenza
    9 years ago

marthasiny - any updates on the Neolith estatuario? Wondering if you ended up using it in your kitchen?

• heathero_gold
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm waiting for a second estimate on estatuario, but my first one was $29,000 for 92 sq ft. Far beyond my budget. I'm in Massachusetts.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Those prices are ridiculous. I know we're not in Kansas, uh, Europe, but even in Switzerland, where everything is outrageously expensive, a Neolith installation runs about as much as quartz.
    We also had a thread that quoted west coast prices as substantially lower.

• Martha Alvarez
    9 years ago

I decided against it because I'm concerned that the edges may chip. Although they mix resin in with the porcelain, I'm concerned about buildup edge around where my farm sink will be and didnt want to take chance. Lots of fabricators seemed wary of this around sink application. I saw a few suede silesstone quartz slabs that actually look great on a display counter, better than expected from viewing the slabs. Helix, pulsar and lagoon, So I'm torn between those right now. I love danby marble but brought home some honed samples and the etching will drive me crazy.

• enzaenza
    9 years ago

Martha, where in NY are you?

• Martha Alvarez
    9 years ago

Staten Island

• enzaenza
    9 years ago

We are neighbors! I'm right over the bridge in Bay Ridge -at least our house is! Trying to do the big reno stuff before we move in.

• agk2003
    9 years ago

hey enzaenza, we just moved from our co-op in bay ridge last week to a house in mill basin! still not done with the reno though!

• enzaenza
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Don't know how to message people so sorry for clogging up this thread!

agk2003 - WOW! Two neighbors in one day : ) I would love to hear about your reno and swap info (although we haven't actually started ours yet.) Are you loving Mill Basin? Please email me at zzzdot com if you want to gab kitchens, Brooklyn, and renovating!!

ETA - looks like we drool over the same style kitchen!

• mudhouse
    9 years ago

Here you go enzaenza, I'm reposting messaging instructions that chemocurl was kind enough to post in another thread:

Go to https://www.houzz.com/editProfile
    Edit Profile -> Advanced Settings -> Privacy Settings -> Who
    can message me -> select "Allow anyone to message me" (near bottom of
    page)

That will place a "MESSAGE" link on your Member page. (Click on my name to see what I mean.)

ADDITIONALLY you will not be able to see your OWN message link on
    YOUR page, so you might ask that someone message you or let you know if
    they see it.

ADDITIONALLY , you will probably want to turn on getting email alerts
    whenever you get a new message. On the same Advanced Setting page as
    noted above choose

EMAIL NOTIFICATION...(when) Someone messages me...EVERY TIME.