Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
country_smile

Finally - pics of remodeled kitchen in 1790 house

country_smile
14 years ago

We completed our 1790's farmhouse kitchen remodel in June 09. We first remodeled in 1982 and had only changed the flooring in the last 27 years. I found GW in October 2008 and I eventually joined in July 09. THANKS to all those who posted their kitchen photos in the past. I have learned a great deal from the photos and from reading your suggestions and ideas.

Does anyone have any suggestions for window treatments in my kitchen? I haven't decided on whether or not to leave it bare.

Before:

{{!gwi}}

After:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Before - The tape on the floor is an outline of where the island will be located.

{{!gwi}}

Two walls were removed to open kitchen up to LR (left) and DR (right).

{{!gwi}}

After:

{{!gwi}}

This is the hutch I sketched for the cabinet maker. It has the only cabinets in the kitchen that are inset with exposed hinges to help set it apart from the other kitchen cabinets, along with the cream marfil counter.

{{!gwi}}

CAD of kitchen . . .

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1388953}}

{{!gwi}}

Desk area built in adjoining room.

{{!gwi}}

Island with large single sink, DW and 2 cabinets.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (37)

• golddust
    14 years ago

Amazing. Bravo! Great attention to detail. Love every single thing about your new kitchen. DH was very impressed too! Well done!

• jakabedy
    14 years ago

That's beautiful! I love the "hutch" and I think it does exactly what you wanted it to do. Kudos to your cabinetmaker.

• ellenhopes
    14 years ago

i love your hutch and all the details...i vote to keep the windows bare.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Wow, that must have changed your life!

Irish lace, tied back simple panels.

• jenswrens
    14 years ago

This is fabulous! Love it!

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Really beautiful. All of your work zones must be amazing with no one running over anyone else. I love the granite and the hutch you designed. Everything suits the space perfectly. Enjoy!

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

Love the mix of wood and paint. Love the hutch. Really nice!

Trish

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Gorgeous. Truly gorgeous.
    The granite and backsplash are pefect together.
    And the hutch is devine. Love the island that
    fits all those chairs. The warm creamy colors
    and the golden brown cabinets work beautifully.
    Nice job,
    ~boxerpups

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

Great job! It all came together so nicely. I love the deep windows and the hutch and the way the colors all work together!
    Lisa

• malhgold
    14 years ago

what a fabulous job you did! You have SOOOOO much space. Looks like a great kitchen to work in. Enjoy and congratulations!!!!

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I love the hutch!! IT is perfect for the age of the home. YOu must be soooo happy in there! It is a very cozy warm feel kitchen.

• biochem101
    14 years ago

What beautiful cabinetry! You have a lovely kitchen. Leave the windows bare for the view.

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

Oh how beautiful! The hutch is such a great piece. Enjoy!

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

You guys did an incredible job! Congratulations on a beautiful kitchen that your family will enjoy for years and years!
    Would you mind telling me what kind of refrigerator you have?
    Thanks,
    Monica

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

Soooo nice!! Love your cabinets....can you give info on them?

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I love your windows and that hutch--WOW!

Congratulations and enjoy your gorgeous space!

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

So beautiful--enjoy!!!!

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

country smile - how do you like your Delta Leland faucets?

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous! I love the combination of the white painted cabinets and the wood. It's so warm and inviting! It must be such a great space to work it - you have so much room! You made great choices, and I LOVE your hutch!
    Best of luck!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Just looking at your beautiful tile floors again and I was wondering what tile you used, color of the grout & size of the tile. Your kitchen is so beautiful!

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Love the changes you made to your kitchen. The dish hutch is beautiful! The granite is so nice on the window ledges. I am so envious of your deep window ledges. Enjoy!

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

You already know this, but I adore your kitchen down to every last detail - the mixed finishes, the hutch, the pendants, the wood hood, the large openings to the adjacent rooms. But mostly the feel :-)

There is something about it that speaks "home" to me - I have relatives on farms in North Dakota and when I see your kitchen with the dining area in full view, it feels like my roots in ND. We've spent many evenings around tables just like that one - either sitting right in the kitchen or nearby. I love it.

I have the Delta Leland too (and the Moen Boutique), both in the garage waiting for the reno, which is due to start in about a week (after over a year of planning). It's just interesting that mine has so many details similiar details to yours. My plan also calls for raised panel doors - frameless, but my hutch and display cabinet will both be inset - and both be cream painted and glazed. I only hope mine captures the feeling you've created as successfully as you have. I am pins and needles about the feel. I wish you could bottle the formula - I'd pay top dollar! Hopefully the formula is the details and mine are so similiar that hopefully it works :-).

It's also interesting seeing your render and how it compares to the final product.

• abananie
    14 years ago

Just lovely!!

• country_smile
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for responding and your nice comments. I know the most important thing in the finished kitchen is that the homeowner really likes it, but it's assuring to hear that others also appreciate the changes we made.

lynn - I'll need to look for the name of the tile and grout color name in my kitchen files. If you check back tomorrow, I should have it by then.

monica - The refrigerator is an Amana. We almost had major problems because Amana's specs were incorrect and we had to bump out the wall behind it to make room for the extra 9". I think it's 25 cu.ft. Love the ice maker in the door but I dislike the left door set-up on the inside to accommodate the ice maker.

cawfeegirl - The cabinets are custom hard maple with cherry stain & glaze, full overlay doors (exact name is Madison with Presidential raise). Our old cabinets were oak and after 27 yrs. I was ready for a different wood and a lighter color.

countrygal - I love the Leland faucets. I like the pull-down feature and the magnetic docking. I'm not so pleased with the soap dispenser at our island sink. We have to call this week to get it replaced because it doesn't dispense the soap very well.

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

Gorgeous. I love it! Amazing transformation.

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

What a great transformation!! You modernized the kitchen but it still looks like it belongs to an old farmhouse. I especially love the look of the painted hutch and island. That hutch is beautiful! That granite in the window is a great touch and your light fixtures are so pretty!

If you don't need to for privacy or sun, I'd leave the two windows over the counter uncovered. Having less going on around it, the dining room window might need something - maybe a tailored valance or fabric covered cornice?

Congratulations!

• judydel
    14 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen!! Enjoy. Love the granite and mix of paint and stain.

Congratulations and enjoy!

• country_smile
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lynn - As promised, here is the information you were looking for: Mannington Adura - Moonstone Yunan w/ almond grout; 16"x16"

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Country smile, late to post but just wanted to add my compliments on a really amazing transformation! I especially love the beautiful hutch.

Enjoy your wonderful new kitchen!

Eliz

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Country, I missed this somehow?! I love your entire kitchen and what a transformation, you must just love it! I really love the hutch and your hood. Everything is just so pretty and inviting and really suits your house. I'd love to see more pics of the rest of your house! Congrats!

Kat :)

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Country_smile, thank you for the information! The Mannington Adura - Moonstone Yunan w/ almond grout; 16"x16" tile is about the size I have been wanting for my kitchen. I will definitely get samples. Thank you!

Thanks for the information on your kitchen cabinets that I love also. Can you tell me about your counters?

• mitri89
    14 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen you have! I love the hutch, the pendant lights, the mix of finishes, the glass doors on the cabinets, the venthood, so many pretty details. Way to go pulling off a very charming, warm and inviting look!

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen I am new here on the Kitchen side I hang out mostly in baths right now. So I am gathering intel for the next venture but could you please tell me what the low counter is for in front of the left window. I came up with a few thoughts but wanted to know. TIA and beautiful job again.

• country_smile
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jjaazzy: The low counter is my baking center. I wanted the lower height to roll out dough but I also use it for all my mixing needs when I'm baking. I'm 5'7" and it's the perfect height for me. In my old kitchen, I used my kitchen table for making pie doughs and other things because I had a small slice of counter between the cooktop and sink. That small area of the counter became crowded quickly and it was convenient to turn 180° and use the table for more workspace. Since that was the height I always worked at before, any other height seems unnatural to me. It's also a great height for children that want to help.

Good luck on your "new venture".

• nc_cowgirl
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! We are about 3 1/2 months into building our new home. I love love your kitchen!! I am too going with off white cabinets, glazed, with reclaimed heart pine sink base and range hood. My cabinet builder thought I was retarded I think when I told him the "mix" I wanted. Also doing raised panel up top and beaded board on the bottom and black distressed island with wood top on it. Bless his heart...he just said, it's your kitchen!!! You have got to be proud! Your kitchen is sooooo beautiful and sooooo cozy! I'd love to know more about the backsplash you used....beautiful!!

• country_smile
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks cowgirl - I read your kitchen description in another thread and it reminded me of my kitchen. If your cabinet maker doesn't have the vision to see how lovely your kitchen will look with mixed finishes then it's a good thing that he is the one making your cabinets because he is in for a treat when he sees the finished kitchen. If someone else is installing them, make sure you invite him back to your kitchen so he can see firshand how the mixed finishes compliment each other.

Check the link below for information on our backsplash. Our mural is S1M172-01. There are plenty of fancier tiles and liners available in our style but we kept it simple in order not to overshadow other aspects of our kitchen.

I'm looking forward to seeing updates on your kitchen as it progresses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash tile

• polly929
    14 years ago

It is such a beautiful kitchen, what a transformation! Great job, enjoy your new space.