Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

1960 kitchen

lavender_lass
9 years ago

I found this 1960 kitchen in a home listing...and thought I'd share it with everyone. Long shot we'll get the house, but very cute. Don't you love the hardware? :)
{{gwi:2142869}}From Vintage kitchens
{{gwi:2142870}}From Vintage kitchens

Comments (21)

• Fori
    9 years ago

You know I love it!

Sure the tile could be aqua but painting the soffits would be close enough. The layout looks pretty good. Are you thinking of moving in?

• bpath
    9 years ago

Ugh can't abide hardware installed that way, so ergonomically impossible to use. The angle makes you pull down instead of out. But the wood on the cabinets is pretty!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I knew you would like it, Fori :)

It looks like we'll have to find a place pretty soon. We have a chance of staying where we are, but if that doesn't work out...we have to find a place by April. Medical bankruptcy is NOT fun :(

That being said...it is a cute kitchen. It has a slider to the back patio, by the table. Also, pink tile in the bathroom! LOL

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bpath- I didn't think about that! Good point :)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Best of luck! :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was really surprised that no one had remodeled the kitchen or bathroom. Hard to find these in our area! The 1950s were the great days in wheat farming and a lot of people built new homes. So many have been 'modernized' with 70s or 80s kitchens (LOL) Nice to see an original.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I'm sorry about the medical financial problems, and I hope things work out for you.

I never thought about the ergonomics of pulling on handles installed that way. It's a good point. That wood does look pristine and well cared for, though! And nobody has slathered coats of paint on them, like our 1965 cabinets...that's nice.

And look, there are actually some drawer stacks! We only have the little dinky shallow top drawers.

If you wound up in this house, we could be pink bathroom sisters. :-)

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

I love the cabinets and love that the linoleum floor and counters look "vintage" but not old. The kitchen looks bright and clean.

We refinished our 1950s cabinets and they were in outstanding shape when we bought the house. I really don't understand how 60 year old cabinets lived through 4 kids without nearly a dent.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I don't think ergonomically the angled hardware is any worse than vertical or horizontal. You'd get used to it pretty darn fast. I have differing weird handles on stuff throughout my home and I can do each and every one of 'em.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

This is what I call an "honest kitchen." It's dated, but quite functional and not pretending to be anything it isn't, as opposed to the ones I keep seeing in our Great House Hunt. (We're looking for a place closer to the Bay Area where 2 of our 3 kids have moved.) I keep seeing kitchens that have been flipped, where the layout isn't designed for actual use and the materials are the cheapest available - looks good at first glance, but that's it. We recently saw a kitchen where they put a lovely granite counter on top of cabinets that were due for replacement 10 years ago and the layout is difficult and inefficient. I suppose that was cheaper than fixing the roof that's giving up the ghost as we speak. They're asking top dollar for that house BTW. I truly balk at the idea of tearing out and throwing away brand new granite. This kitchen you found has lots of work space around the sink, a good landing spot next to the fridge, and an easy walk from the sink side to the fridge/stove side. Those older laminate counters are indestructible and I actually like the flooring! I could easily live with this kitchen.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

To me the linoleum, backsplash and countertops look like they were replaced sometime in the late '80s. Replacing that and giving the place the right color would really make it look awesome! I'll second the turquoise suggestion.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mudhouse- Pink bathroom sisters :)

I agree with everyone on turquoise. Maybe they'll leave these bar stools? {{gwi:2142871}}From Vintage kitchens

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, love the bar stools. And those chrome saucer knobs are so perfect and appropriate. It can be pricey to buy reproductions of those!

"An honest kitchen" is a great description.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

The cabinets are lovely and the layout looks pretty nice. I loathe the way the hardware was installed. I really like the rounded corners, though I feel like open shelving on the ends of cabinets would result in my dog knocking things over if I lived there.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I put knobs like those in my last kitchen and my toddler kept unscrewing them when trying to get his image right-side up. :P

• practigal
    9 years ago

This just seems like such a happy kitchen. It has both light and a lighthearted quality to it. So many current designs seem so very serious (and they certainly cost serious money)....I love the curvy the cabinets, although the hardware does remind me of upraised eyebrows...

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

The angled pulls make me think of 'angry eyebrows'. But I think the wood of the cabinets is really pretty.

I'm so sorry about the medical bill issues. My late DH went through 3 years of cancer treatments so I understand the challenges (and the shock of getting bills in the upper 5 figures! Like I'm going to sit down and just write a check for the full amount.)

Best of luck to you. Wherever you find yourself I know you'll make it a sweet and pretty home.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I like it but one thing that I spy is a drop in range that appears to be a GE Spacemaker that's 27" wide rather than the standard 30" and it is the ONLY range that will fit.
    (If GE still makes it you would have no option but to replace it with same).

I would be concerned about this if the area could not be easily and inexpensively modified to fit a standard 30" range, given your financial situation.

Not enough, perhaps, to pass on the house but I would want to take this into consideration.

(I had an aging, and somewhat misbehaving 27"w Subzero in my last place and replacing it would probably require a Major overhaul, because they stopped making it. The only option would be something 24" wide) so I tend to notice the non standard stuff. )

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

> like it but one thing that I spy is a drop in range that appears to be a GE Spacemaker that's 27" wide rather than the standard 30" and it is the ONLY range that will fit.
    (If GE still makes it you would have no option but to replace it with same).

FWIW, they do, although you really pay a premium for one. Guess they know you're stuck if you're looking for one.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE drop in at AJ Madison

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Adorable. Yes to turquoise! Just a few small changes will make this a fabulous return to retro kitchen. Check out Heffrons.com for boomerang laminate.

• lee676
    9 years ago

Too bad the original GE range didn't survive. The pushbutton control panel is dope:

{{gwi:2142872}}

{{gwi:2142873}}

This kitchen is alot like one I saw on Retro Renovation, which has the same style cabinets and diagonal pulls, an awesome breakfast-bar countertop, and yet another of GE's impossible-to-replace cooking appliances, this one a cooktop with all its pushbutton controls IN THE RANGE HOOD. Great for keeping kids from turning on the stove burners though!