Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marg143

Single Bowl Silgranit Style - Opinions

marg143
9 years ago

Now seriously considering a single instead of double bowl in my new, small, kitchen.

I'd like any thoughts on these models.

My sink cabinet is 36" and I have little counter space. I'm thinking I could use a nice cutting board to effectively add to the 26" counter over the DW between stove and sink, which is the main prep area. If the bowl is single, I could have more room in the cabinet below for storage/pull-out trash. There is a tip-out for storing sponges, etc. but if sink prevents, I will forego using that. Sink drain is in far left corner. I'm also considering adding a water filter of some type - that is another discussion, but would impact space.

I've never had single before so it would be a transition, yet so many here (even with smaller homes and no prep sink, I think) prefer it; I'm listening. I use the DW always except for too large or too fragile items. Resale is also a concern.

I'd been thinking of silgranit already, for wear (truffle would be the color option) ... so, staying in that family (mostly), here are some options, not in any preferential order:

{{gwi:2142863}}
This one is 9.5" deep, and interior 30x17. Back center drain.

{{gwi:2142864}}
This one is also 9.5" deep. 29.5x16.5 interior, but is dual mount so 22" front to back with rims. Might impinge on tip-out idea?

{{gwi:2142865}}
A Cascade model (Precis). Squared off interior, bowl depths 7 7/8 and 5.5" for the platform; Interior or larger is 19.25 x 15.75, and smaller platform is 7.5 L to R, same back to front. This gives a little more under cabinet space, as well as a few more counter space inches at a total 27.5" width.

{{gwi:2142866}}
Another Cascade model (Performa). Bowl depths 10" and 7.75" for the platform. Interior bowl is 21 3/8 x 17.5", with platform 8" wide. This reduces counter space, and undercabinet space.

The two Cascade models are of course the most expensive - about $150 - $200 more than the double bowl (Diamond) I was going to buy...
{{gwi:2142867}}
And here is the one Scrappy recommended - very functional and comes with a cutting board, priced in between the models mentioned above. Bowl depth is 10/25", interior is 30 x 16, and drain is centered but to the back.

And here is my low divide, double bowl idea (right size of cutting board could still extend across front to back, even with the curve)
{{gwi:2142868}}

Thoughts? Pros/cons? (And should I go with stainless/chrome drain to match stainless or chrome faucet - I think so - vs. color match?) I have some on my list.

Comments (17)

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I have the Precis and love it! After 40 years with a double bowl cast iron, it was like where have these sinks been? One of the best things in my kitchen...

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I have the same sink as Chris above in metallic gray. I was waffling between that and the offset drain and went with my fabricator's designer's opinion that the symmetry would be better for my kitchen. I have a prep sink so didn't worry too much about blocking the drain with dirty dishes. I also didn't need to salvage every inch under the sink so drain placement didn't matter. To do it again, however, I'd probably go with the offset drain if I could get over how the sides slope ever so slightly.

I love, love, love my single bowl configuration and the silgranit material. THE best sink ever. No staining, no dents, no scratches, easy to clean, always looks clean, and no black pot marks. Even if I didn't have a prep sink, I would still choose single bowl. I CANNOT stand how a double bowl sink prevents my sheet pans, roasting pans, or moderately sized fry pans from sitting flat for soaking or cleaning. It makes me feel trapped somehow.

Purely my opinion, but I don't like those curvy sinks. Just for aesthetic reasons because I'm weird like that. :)

Have you thought about a simple inline water filter on the cold line? I did that. It doesn't take up much room, and the water tastes great.

Good luck on your choice!

ETA: I forgot to mention the thing I hate the most about stainless. Those blasted water marks!!

This post was edited by breezygirl on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 12:50

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

I have had the Blanco Diamond Super Single with the corner drain (known as "offset drain") before, and am getting it again. Love the ease of Silgranit, love the corner drain. The corner drain allows more room under the sink because the drain and disposal are not in the center of your undersink storage, but off to the side instead. Also, the corner drain allows you to lay down roasting pan to soak, plus your dishes and glasses and whatever, yet your drain remains uncovered cause it's in the corner. Such a nice feature.

The SS sink pictured with the cutting board and accessories looks cool. I just do not like a stainless steel sink and how it only will look sparkling for just a minute or two until you use it. Then it's water spotted. That's just MHO. There are many others who are happy stainless steel sink owners.

There is "controversy" over sink tip-outs. Some people (like me) do not like them because moisture can collect while they are closed, and become gross, and even if that does not happen, it's yet one more thing to clean with some nooks and crannies and a tray. Other people do not find that to be an issue. So decide which you think you would be!

P.S. If you decide to go with Silgranit, make sure to call Blanco and get several samples from them of colors you are interested in. They will mail them to you (call them, don't email them). I know you said truffle, which is a lovely neutral color. But there is nothing like seeing the color in your kitchen against your counter or counter sample, to help you choose the right color.

This post was edited by Mrs_Nyefnyef on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 8:42

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

Can I get a link to that stainless one scrappy recommended? That looks very cool.

I had a silgranite super single in a previous house, and I loved it. But I love stainless, too, and didn't vastly prefer the silgranite.

• still_lynnski
    9 years ago

I have the big single, have had it for about ten years now. Love it in all ways. Bought another house, redid the kitchen, used the same sink because it is so great for us.

Like you, I use the DW for nearly everything. The things I wash in the sink are the big things--large cutting boards, half sheet trays, largest fry pans. So I'm glad to have the room.

I love everything about this sink. I started a thread the other day about "converting" this sink to a combination prep sink/cleanup sink by installing a second faucet. That's the only improvement I could think of.

• practigal
    9 years ago

I don't see that Blanco is making a sink with an offset drain in the silgranite....where are you finding these?

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Practigal - it is pictured in the OP's second photo above, the BlancoDiamond Super Single in Silgranit. It comes in a number of colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: BlancoDiamond Super Single in Silgranit with Offset Drain

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Raenjapan, the stainless sink is the Ticor 4000.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ticor 4000 at O

• marg143
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Breezy - glad to hear you love the sink - and knowing that you'd now go with offset. Good point about not being able to lay the large items flat to soak - even in my low divide idea, that wouldn't work. I don't love the curvy either, but it is their low divide 1 3/4 option.. Also - interesting to hear about the water line filter idea - perhaps I should consider that - a little more expensive in filters, I suppose?

Still_lynnski - which large sink do you have - the offset, or center drain?

Thanks ctycdm, and raenjapan, for your comments/ photo. I really appreciate them and knowing your experiences!

Mrs Nyef - thanks and also for the tipout thoughts. Bummer that my under sink drainpipe would be at the opposite end vs the sink drain, but at least the disposal would be in the far corner. I did get a sample to take home for a couple days and the truffle worked best with the granite sample. It's either that or stainless...

Interesting that I'm not hearing anyone largely in favor of (or even utilizing) the Cascade-type sink that has the small platform off to the side - anyone positive or negative about that - either through personal experience or thinking it through?

Thanks!

• still_lynnski
    9 years ago

We have the Silgranit big single with an offset drain in two kitchens/two houses. We get a lot of good use from the large metal grid that covers the bottom on the sink bowl, too. I don't know if that is still sold separately, but it's a great thing.

• meddam
    9 years ago

I have the Performa & I love it. It is probably my favorite thing in the kitchen. I actually use the basket on the shelf for drying stuff. Super handy. My sink cabinet is bumped out a bit though.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

I don't really see much, if any, advantage to the raised platform in the Cascade and, on a negative note, it has more fussiness to clean around. Given how I use a sink--I use them hard--whatever it is I need to clean, if it fits or even sorta' fits, into the sink it goes. I would probably end up knocking a chunk off that little partition.

Given your choices, I would pick the second Silgranit one, the dual mount with the offset drain or the stainless steel one.

• beaniebakes
    9 years ago

I have the second Silgranit with offset and love it for the same reasons mentioned above. I also use it to water plants. I have five orchids that get watered weekly and they fit in the sink all at once. Very convenient.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Absolutely love my Precis Cascade. Works perfectly in our household. Rare occasion I need to wash something like a cookie sheet, I just lift out the basket and there's plenty of room. It's a breeze to keep clean. Love the basket for rinsing fruits and vegetables. no complaints. Disregard rough background - pic taken before backsplash installed.

• marg143
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everyone, again - and for the photos!

Meddam - Did you create the bump-out in order to be able to have the Performa? I don't have a bump - just standard 24". Thx!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

After using double sinks for 30 yrs, I opted for a Super Single when I replaced my old SS double.

I really dislike doing dishes in doubles. I don't fill the sink to do dishes. Anything hand washed is done with a soapy sponge and rinsing. I just finished some hand washing and was thankful, 3-4 yrs later, for having a big 'o single bowl.
    I installed mine in an un-renovated kitchen and would NEVER choose a double basin over a super single, and never pick SS over Silgranit. SS always looked like it needed cleaning the minute my hard water started to dry. I have a builder's grade bar sink that is so noisy. I'm sure better SS options will be quieter, but I'll still have spots everywhere.

It's so personal. My mom, and her mom, always leave dishwater sitting for the next round. The rest of us think it's gross. Some fill a small basin over again and some never fill a basin.

• meddam
    9 years ago

marg143 - the sink cabinet bump out was planned before I picked the sink. It may have worked even if I didn't bump it out, but you can see from my pic that there is a decent bit of counter at the back and at the front with the bump out.

Not sure why that picture is rotated. It always looks fine on my ipad! Stupid ipad...