Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to add a backsplash above a granite lip...

Posted by jennymarie (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 22:14

My kitchen has black granite with a 4" lip. Not my choice - the builder did it, its a 4 year old kitchen (nothing I need or want to rip out any time soon)

Anyway, I do not like having a painted backsplash AT ALL. I actually cook, and a painted surface is completely impractical. It gets dirty, does not wipe clean easily and requires repainting frequently.

I want to add simple off-white/tan subway tile, but I'm afraid it will look like an afterthought. I am not trying to achieve high-design here. I just want it to be functional and I want it to look correct.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to add a backsplash above a granite lip...

Honestly, I think that some may say that it looks odd that way but I am all for functionality and if it's something simple, I think it could look great.

o

I agree, be practical and add the backsplash.

Here is our kitchen in a previous house, cabs and granite were done in 2001 and then the cream colored subways were added about a year after the granite. The backsplash made a real difference in practicality, especially around the range area. I think it looked good and the neutral subways faded into the background.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Go ahead and add your backsplash, it will look fine.

o

Exactly what I pictured Taggie! I think it will look great- go for it!

o
RE: How to add a backsplash above a granite lip...2

o
RE: How to add a backsplash above a granite lip...2

o

That looks really nice! It does help to see it. I think what helps in the photos above is that your cabinets are white and the subway tile really fades into the background very nicely. I have medium toned wood cabinets and a black countertop, so I am afraid that the white tile will not have enough height if I keep the 4" of granite in there.

o

It is what it is. It will be a 4" splash that you added tile to. Some people will think it looks like an afterthought and some won't care. What's important is what you think. If your main concern is function over aesthetics, then leave the granite slash and add tile.

Aesthetically it is going to look better without the 4" granite splash. I can't imagine it's that hard to remove it. I'd spend the extra effort to take it down.

o

Here's a post on how easy it is to remove :

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.younghouselove.com/2011/01/take-it-away/

o

Oops, iPad duplicate post

This post was edited by karen_je on Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 2:41

o

It's not ideal, and I completely understand your concern, but you have to deal with what you got. I did, but went with calacatta gold honed 4x4's.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

If you don't like it, it's not a big deal to remove the 4" bacsplash. Especially if you don't care if it breaks during the removal process. Just put down some protection on the counter like some masonite to keep from scratching it and have at it! Or pay a handymand $150 to do it. You might have a bit of wall repair to do after it's down, but since you're putting up tile, that's not a big deal either.

Or, if you don't mind the 4" splash, keep it and put the tile above it. It's all about preference. So, don't settle for something you don't care for either way when it's so easy to remedy either way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here