Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betsy8989_gw

Kitchen drawer height

betsy8989
9 years ago

My base cabinets were just installed and just realized the top drawers are not the same height. Does this look ok?

Comments (15)

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Not OK if you weren't forewarned about it. Did you approve final drawings?

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Pet peeve of mine, all top drawers should be the same height. Whether it's right or wrong, I don't know, but I know it does not look right to me... Chris

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

Definitely not right. In a three drawer stack like that top drawer should line up with adjacent top drawers. If it were just two drawers then it would look fine to divide in half and not line up.

• szruns
    9 years ago

That wouldn't be OK with me. All my cabinets top drawers line up. If you had a kitchen designer working with you, you should have been warned about this. If it were me, I'd check my printed cabinet plans and see if they showed this weirdness. If it was shown on your drawings and you didn't catch it, then I wouldn't expect the designer to take responsibility if you worked through a Big Box or similar store. But, if you worked with a "real" designer who you paid for the plans OR paid top dollar for the cabinets through a "kitchen store", then I'd bring it to the designer's attention, express my displeasure, and expect the designer to get the drawer cabinet swapped out.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I would not be happy with that.

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

I would not accept that

• practigal
    9 years ago

You are cirrect to ask. This is a no-no. Someone knows better and hopes you will let it ride. Just say no.

• betsy8989
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. I'll investigate options.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

You're not going to believe this from one of the most anal, OCD people in the world.

I don't like it. BUT...
    Because it's symmetrical, it didn't cause every fiber of my being to scream, "ARRRRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!! NooooOOOOoooooooo!!!!"

It is really unusual for a cabinet maker not to make the top drawers the same. Simply for this reason!

If they change something, don't go smaller (shallower) drawers. I have stupid, 2 3/4" deep top drawers and they are totally worthless. Perhaps in one cabinet for placemats or notepads, but in 6? Grrrrr....

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

The difference exists, with that cabinet line. Where a 4 drawer would have the top drawer in line and a 3 drawer does not.

You should have been provided with a cabinet detail sheet prior to ordering these bag-n-box cabinets.

• User
    9 years ago

In every cabinet line that I've ever worked in, the top drawer was the same size, across the choices of 4 vs. 3 drawers. The only exceptions are for the two pot and pan type drawers, or the option of "three or fourequal sized drawers". Meaning each drawer in the stack was the same exact size as all others in the stack. Which isn't the case here. This is NOT a case of this being due to using a manufactured line as snoony alleges. It's far more likely due to a mis specification one where along the way in a custom line, or by a custom cabinet maker.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

hollysprings

"This is NOT a case of this being due to using a manufactured line as snoony alleges."

So, since the OP has shared with you alone, the origin of the cabinets.

Care to share that info with the rest of us?

• User
    9 years ago

Starmark Custom. Incorrectly specified custom somehow. It's a non standad configuration, for sure.

Same line, 3 drawer base that does have te drawers aligned with the rest of the cabinets.{{gwi:2142857}}
    {{gwi:2142858}}

Same line, 4 drawer srack of all equal sized drawers.
    {{gwi:2142859}}

Drawers always align unless spcified not to for some reason. Was this supposed to be some type of specialty cabinet? A bread storage, or china storage, or a buffet cabinet?

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

I know of two standard cabinets from mfg where the top drawer does not align with a typical base. Three equal drawers, doesn't appear to be that. The other is when there is a double cutlery tray in the top drawer. The spacing here looks like one of those bit I don't see a cutlery tray and have never seen one that wide. Curious.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I have a similar 'mistake' in a cabinet front on my sink wall. I tried to 'live with it'. I'm paying to have it re-done. I need symmetry though.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor