Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbarstow_gw

Matte tile or gloss with granite?

mbarstow
15 years ago

Is there a rule that you select matte tile for the backsplash with glossy granite? Or is it the opposite? I never gave this any thought, but was just reading a thread where this was discussed, now I am confused which to choose. I do prefer the matte finish on the tiles.

Comments (10)

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I'm not aware that there is a rule but it is always nice to layer sheens and textures in a space. I think matte tile will offer a nice contrast to the glossy finish of your granite.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I have a really busy granite and didn't want the backsplash to compete with it, so I chose a matte finish. I got 4" tumbled travertine tiles and used a mosaic that has travertine and frosted glass pieces in it for an accent strip. I love the results!

• jerseydeb
    15 years ago

This is the advice I would give you. Take many different types of tiles into your kitchen and look at them. Be open minded.

I went to the tile store with samples of my cabinet, flooring, and granite; and took home 7 or 8 different samples of tiles and sample boards that seemed to work: gold jerusalem stone, slate/glass combo, two or three glass (only), hand glazed tile, matt glazed tile, different accent pieces. Some I loved and some I liked. Totally different looks. I worked with two different tile stores and two different tile designers to get different perspectives. I went into the process thinking I wanted slate with glass or wanted a matt tumbled stone like gold jerusalem stone and crackled glass to contrast with the polished granite. What I found, however, was that some tiles that seemed to work very well in the tile store with my kitchen samples were quickly eliminated once I saw them in my living space.

I ended up with all glass, because I loved it in my kitchen with my kitchen furninshings and art work, and I loved the way the tile looked when I viewed it from the perspective of ajoining rooms.

My granite is quiet so a busy small glass tile worked well. I liked the sheen of the tile next to the polished granite, but then again my granite reads more like a solid color from a distance. The underlying colors are apparent up close. The gold jerusalem stone was a close second that is lovely and classic. I would have liked it forever, probably, but not loved it like I love the glass. Maybe an interior designer would have chosen the tumbled stone, because my cabinets really are quite traditional. Bottom line: I love what I chose.

• astridh
    15 years ago

I don't think that there are any hard and fast rules. I think you can do either one. If you prefer tiles with a matte finish, then get them. I agree that seeing the tile in your own kitchen on your own granite is excellent advice.

• melanie1121
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I don't think there is a particular rule. It's all a matter of what you like. However, I think you can take into consideration how much light is in the area. I am finding that the glossy tiles paired with a shiny granite top creates too much glare. Whereas a matte finish doesnt have a tremendous glare or reflection in the granite. Just my observation.
    Melanie1121

• mbarstow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I am glad to see it's a matter of personal choice. And if only there weren't so many choices.

• mdmc
    15 years ago

I too think it is a personal preference. We chose a matte tile and really like the look. I would do what others have suggested and pick out tiles you like and look at them in your kitchen with your granite.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I have matte tile with shiny granite because I just like the look.

• hcbhatt
    13 years ago

Question for redroze : I like the photo of Kitchen with white cabinets that you have posted. What do you have for the floor? wood or tile or stone? If tile, can you please post picture of your floor with cabinets. It would really be helpful for me.

I am remodeling my kitchen and have selected white cabinets with similar looking busy Granite. So your picture gives idea for backsplash. I am now confused with flooring. I am thinking of getting ceramic tile.. however not sure if I need glossy or matte finish.

Thanks!