Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amymk02

HELP, I think my tiler is terrible!

AmyMK02
9 years ago

I should be making cookies but....

I'm not because I am over here fretting about my tile :(

On Saturday a tiler came out to start on my backsplash. 3x6 tumbled marble tile in a brick pattern. Pretty simple - no features or anything. He shows up 3 hours late. He gets started and I notice he isn't using a trowel. He is back-buttering all of the tiles. He does not leave a 1/8" gap between my granite countertop and the tile, he has them butted up against each other. Then I see that he is using a tile cutter that one would use for porcelain or ceramic tile to cut the tile (at this point, that doesn't look too bad though). He leaves. He comes back the best day 3 hours late, again. He is here for 8 hours, and is still not finished laying the tile. Monday he calls me 3 hours later than he was supposed to be here saying he was on his way, an hour later he called to tell me his mother had a stoke, he does not come at all on monday. Today, tuesday, he shows up - you guessed it! - THREE HOURS LATE. He gets all the tile laid. This time though, the tile he has to cut length wise to fit below the cabinets looks HORRIBLE!!!! He does not wait the 6 hours the mastic says to wait to cure and he begins grouting. He only got a small part done before he ran out of grout, and because he was THREE hours late, again, the store was closed to go get more. I don't know what his intentions are for between the tile and cabinets because they look terrible. I dug the grout out of the tiny tiny space where the tile meets the granite to try to caulk that instead. Now, I have to get up super early on x-mas eve morning to go get grout so he can come back and "try" to be done before my family comes for Christmas eve!!! To top it off, he pour his dirty grout water down my sink.

SERIOUSLY. Is this the norm, or does this guy not know what he is doing?!?! How can I salvage this? How can I make the tile look better at the top? Is there going to be an issue because he didn't leave the gap? I thought hiring someone was going to produce better results than I could have done, but I'm pretty handy and now I regret it.

Comments (19)

• AmyMK02
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And to add....he tiled to the end of my wall...and not the end of my countertop. Perhaps I should not have assumed that the backsplash always stops with the countertop....but as an interior designer who specialized in kitchen design, I have never seen a backsplash go to the end of the wall when there is only 2 inches of wall past the countertop. That said, I did not flat out tell him "This needs to stop at the countertop" either.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

He did all of that the first day----and you let him come back!?!?!? At this point, grouting will lock the tile in place. If you're not happy with it, don't let him finish. Rip it out and find an actual licensed and insured tile pro. How did you find him anyway?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Judging by your description, I expected much worse than the picture. Use some color matched silicone between the tile and cabinets if you decide to keep it.

• AmyMK02
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, I didn't know much about how to tile until I started seeing the things he was doing and thinking, hmm, this doesn't seem right, let me look it up. And lo and behold, he was doing it incorrectly. When I mentioned things to him, he would say, Oh no, this is fine blah blah blah. And when I called Lowes to find out their advice, they would generally back it up (i.e. "Some tilers don't use a trowel. You don't have to use a wet saw") He said he has been tiling for 5 years, so I didn't think he was an amateur. I found him by referral, actually. I'd hate to see their job! As of tonight, he has grouted in a little nook...just a set of cabinets without any appliances or anything like that. Can I pop off the top tiles on the ungrouted parts in the rest of the kitchen? Under the microwave above the range is even worse. He used mastic - can they be removed? We never settled on whether you should seal before grouting (the tile box says to), but he said you didn't need to, Lowe's said the same thing, and the internet has very conflicting advice on that.

• AmyMK02
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another photo. I can't get a good picture of the one under the microwave though - it's too dark there.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I wouldn't trust the advice and opinions of Lowe's employees as gospel when it comes to proper construction techniques. "Tiling for 5 years" can mean anything ... he could have been a helper for 5 years, he could have been tiling incorrectly for five years, he could have been working without a license for 5 years, etc. Getting a referral without actually seeing the work isn't helpful. A professional tile setter will be licenced and have verifiable experience.

Some tiles are porous or have little indentions or irregularities on the surface so sealing before grouting will help when wiping off the excess grout. If he was able to clean off all the excess grout, then it is likely fine. The tile work itself doesn't look bad in the picture, and certainly not as "horrible" as some of the pictures I've seen posted here (not even close!). If the top rough edge was filled in, it would probably look a lot better. Do the other cut areas look rough? Maybe he wasn't careful with his cuts there because he figured they were up under the cabinets and figured they wouldn't be noticed.

Do you have pictures of the other areas that you say are "even worse" (under themicrowave, above the range, etc.)?

You can post your concerns on the John Bridge tile forum to get the pro's opinions.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Ouch!! You posted that last photo at the same time I was writing my reply. You are correct. That does look horrible. What in the world was he using to cut his tile, a hammer and a chisel??? Good lord. I don't care how hidden that area is. It is easy to make a straight cut, so there is no reason NOT to do so!!!

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I think he needs a sharper blade on his tile saw.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"I wouldn't trust the advice and opinions of Lowe's employees as gospel when it comes to proper construction techniques."

My wife is a journeyman electrician and was the Electrical Pro at Lowe's until she took a promotion to Paint. She still gets people insisting on speaking with her.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Your wife is an exception. Our Home Depot has a very experienced retired electician and he, too, is an exception. Many of the big box employees have zero construction experience and little knowledge of the products they sell.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

"Many of the big box employees have zero construction experience and little knowledge of the products they sell."

Hell by me most would be hard pressed to tell you where the entrance is. I asked one where they had Amaryllis (Christmas plant) bulbs were and he walked me over to the light bulbs......

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

HAHAHA "he walked me over to the light bulbs.."

That is hilarious.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

LOLOLOL ... classic!!!!

• renais1
    9 years ago

You might try a different Lowes or Home Depot for advice. In our area, both stores have amazingly knowledgeable employees who go out of their way to make sure you understand a job, and how to do it right. This is one of the big box store benefits many people fail to utilize. A number of the employees used to work in the related trades, retired and took jobs at the store for extra income.
    Renais

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"Amaryllis (Christmas plant) bulbs were and he walked me over to the light bulbs......"

Lol. And this is one reason why I wish they'd just leave you alone instead of always trying to help, lol.

• Huntingflower
    9 years ago

If he's been doing this for 5 years then he needs to find a new profession. I have done two tile jobs myself. One over 10 years ago and my recent brick backsplash. My cuts look pristine compared to his hack job when cutting the tile horizontal. It looks like he only used snips!

I think because it is just under the counter, once you grout/silicone whatever you intend on doing in that joint, then it won't be as noticeable but considering you have to actually pay the guy, I don't think it is acceptable. Curious about the area that he went past the countertop. Do you have a picture of that?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Best part is I knew exactly where he was taking me as soon as we left that garden dept general area but I went along with it anyway just for the hell of it and was laughing to myself the entire way.........

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

" ... but I went along with it anyway just for the hell of it ... "

Too funny! Thanks for the laugh this morning!

• User
    9 years ago

"I knew exactly where he was taking me as soon as we left that garden dept "

He WORKED in the garden dept. and took you to light bulbs!?