Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_b_t

Progress pix - nearing the finish line!

Jon T
13 years ago

I had a few moments to take a coupla snaps today. Backsplash was installed Thurs and Friday, no grout yet - that will be done on Monday. GC says it will be sealed on Tuesday, the same day the electrician and plumber will finish their work. Appliance installation Wednesday.

I received some wonderful advice about back splash choices on this forum, but in the end I stuck with travertine. Sorry to disappoint anyone! ;-) DW and I found a filled and honed 12'' x 12'' floor tile we liked very much, very light vanilla colored, relatively fewer pits. Our granite contractor cut them to 4'' x 4'' and eased the edges. He also made some buttons from our quartzite.

Anywho, here are a few pictures. More to come next week.

Sorry for the giant photos...on my way to a holiday party, no time to compress.

Jon

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

How could you think for a second that such a beautiful looking kitchen would be a disappointment to anyone! I LOVE how your backsplash choice brings a brightness to your kitchen and compliments your fabulous stone. Your tile professional is quite talented and did a great job. You were so right to stick with what you really wanted.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Looks great Jon!! Your backsplash came out great- compliments your counters so nicely. Love your hardware, too. Beautiful kitchen
    Congtrats!!

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

Your second pic....I kept scrolling back to it...AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL how your incorporated the TV cabinetry....I love it!

Actually, all of it is beautiful!

Your hardware is TDF!

• doonie
    13 years ago

Jon,

It looks great! Your backsplash is quiet and lets your lovely granite speak. I think you did a smash up job!

I love the distressed center island wood with the granite and your choice of hardware is great.

Thanks for posting! Please put photos up when the grout is in too. I was amazed how grout changed the look in my kitchen.

Enjoy!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Breathtakingly beautiful! Enjoy!

• User
    13 years ago

Those handles look like they'd be a pleasure to use, as well as to look at. Very nice choice.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

That wrap around storage that becomes the entertainment center is a masterpiece! Particularly like the color of your island and the hardware. Overall, very elegant!

• brenjun
    13 years ago

I love the kitchen! I will be looking forward to hearing all the details like where you got the hardware.

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Very pretty! Love the hardware and cabinets. How wide is your island (the countertop and then the cabinets)? Are the perimeter cabinets deeper than the standard 24"? Enjoy your new kitchen!

• Jon T
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone, and for all of the valuable help along the way.

The hardware is from Jeffrey Alexander. The handles are from the Symphony line. The cup pulls and knobs are from the Venezia line. The hardware on the island is satin nickle finished, everything else is dark brushed antique copper. The handles are very comfortable in hand and easily accept 4 fingers. I bought the hardware from a nearby specialty hardware shop, but you can buy this brand from a number of on-line sources.

The island counter top (outer edge to outer edge) is 24'' x 57''. The island cabinet outer dimensions are 21'' x 54''. The width of the footing is only 16-1/2'' wide (due to the toe kick). I think I might be testing the limits on how small one can go with a fixed island. The isle widths are a little less than 37'' (darn, I was shooting for 36'', the island could have been 3/4'' wider!).

The cabinet depth throughout is 24'' with the exception of the refrigerator run, which is 25'', and the tower that will contain the speed oven and warming drawer, it too is 25''. My cabinet maker prefers to go with 25'' instead of 24'' on all cabs, but with the limited width of the kitchen, and a desire to have an island no narrower than 24'' and isle ways no narrower than 36'', we gained one inch by pushing the sink run back to 24''.

Jon

• time4tea
    13 years ago

Your kitchen looks beautiful! I think the travertine looks great. Love the cabinet hardware too.

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info on cabinet dimensions and aisle widths. This helps me visualize my own kitchen. We will also have a narrow island because of space constraints. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

WOW! Your granite is a scene stealer! Love the distressed cabinetry and the wrap around wall. Enjoy your beautiful new space!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I look at your pix and can only see the counters. They are so stunning, it is like a magnet to my eyes!

• trailgirl
    13 years ago

I really like your choice of backsplash. It sets the stage for focusing on your gorgeous cabinets and granite.

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

I'm glad we haven't installed our pulls yet. I'm seriously considering returning ours and getting those dark brushed antique copper pulls. Hope you don't mind. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery after all.

Now if you could just lend me some of those worms that did such a magnificent job on the island. ;)

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

Question: Did your local store happen to have those in Dark Antique Copper Machined (Charcoal)?

Our fixtures are oil rubbed bronze and I'm not sure which finish would go best with them. If you've laid eyes on both, do you have an opinion?

• Jon T
    Original Author
    13 years ago

robj - I don't recall seeing the JA hardware in DACM finish. That doesn't mean they didn't have it, DW and I would have looked quickly past anything that dark. The DBAC finish we selected does pick up a bit more copper color in the right light than the above picture may indicate, and there is a bit of variation from one piece to another. Perfect for us. You might try to find some samples to look at.

Jon

• contemporganic
    13 years ago

Looks amazing! Love the custom tile buttons from your quartzite! Congrats.