Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theplayer

Kitchen finally done(photos)

theplayer
12 years ago

much longer and much more $$ than expected, but we love it. We wanted 2 colors, stained lowers, painted uppers.

New Venetian Gold granite

Comments (40)

• theplayer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

Gorgeous. Love the two colors!!!!

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

It's lovely. The colors are so calming. The green is stunning.I love the way you repeated the granite in the dining area. Congratulations.

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

First thought -wow! Love the warm cherry cabinets with pale green (sorry can't think of right name for color) cabinets. Immediate affinity!

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Love the color combination and all of the architectural elements! It always takes longer than expected but that makes you appreciate it even more! enjoy.

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Really nice. Great color combo. Enjoy!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Understated and beautiful! I love color choices together. I especially appreciate that it's unique to your space and really seems to fit your home. ENJOY!!

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

like the sense of some formality yet so inviting and warm-can be hard to blend those themes together...you prevailed with your effort!

• kellienoelle
    12 years ago

I love it! It is the type of place that makes me want to grab one those glasses (either a wine glass or a beer stein, I am not picky), and pull up a chair at the island for some good conversation. I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

You did such a beautiful job!
    Do you go in there and just stare. Occasionally pet something? :)

Enjoy.

• Luv2Laf
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Luv, luv, luv the two tone cabinets. The seating area is nicely done. The whole thing seems just right! Congratulations!

• badgergal
    12 years ago

Congratulations on completing your kitchen. I don't know what your before was but your after certainly is beautiful. It looks like you have a great layout too. Wishing you a Happy New Year in your new kitchen.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Very pretty! The built ins by the table are a very nice touch ;)

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

DETAILS!!!! Love your kitchen. You did exactly what I want with the cabinet colors. Please share the color/stain, cabinet company, etc.!!!

• farmhousegirl
    12 years ago

Love it! Great combo of colors!
    What brand are your cup pulls? Love them!!! Your floor is great too...like the rectagular tiles rather than square ones!
    Congrats!

• taggie
    12 years ago

Oh I LOVE it. So much to admire ... the gorgeous colors of your cabinets, the lovely flooring, that stunning buffet and hutch with the lovely glass mullion cabinets, your farmhouse sink, oh I could go on and on. You did a great job!!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Surprised I'm the first to say--I love your built-in cabs with hutch! Perfect piece for that space. (The rest of the kitchen is darn nice, too!)

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Very very nice! Congrats on finishing, it's really beautiful. To me it looks earthy, calm but with a hint of fun, and comfortable. Hope you are enjoying it!

• tea4all
    12 years ago

That is a beautiful kitchen! It is serene and calm. I'd love to have so much countertop. You did a lovely job!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Congrats! Don't good things come to those that wait? I keep trying to convince myself that of that nugget.

Love the built-ins also. Very warm space.

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

First thought -wow! Love the warm cherry cabinets with pale green (sorry can't think of right name for color) cabinets. Immediate affinity!

• suzluvsflowers
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Enjoy!

• nini804
    12 years ago

Your granite looks so lovely with the gorgeous stain and pretty green cabs! I know you must be overjoyed at how it turned out!

• rosie
    12 years ago

Super! I especially like your color choices, but also very nice is the way the little "wing" walls by the stove and ceiling beams define the main kitchen area. Were those structural features you had to work around or added for design effect?

• theplayer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

to answer some questions..pulls and knobs were from Horton Brass.
    Cabinets were built by local maker, beaded inset.

Granite cut and polished on site and carried in, no seems anywhere, even the large L shaped sink area.

Stain was a mixure of colors..walnut, cherry, pine and something else. We were trying to match a picture from a magazine. Local guy stained, everything had to be masked off, then 3 coats of conversion varnish. Staining maple is not easy, but this guy did a great job, lots of sanding...

Green paint was matched from Medallion's Seagrass sample.

12x24 roman travertine ceramic tile. Original plan called for 4 sizes of tile, but the pattern did not work. Lots of compliments on the 12x24, not seen too often. Someone said it was a European look.

Travertine backsplash with Q-seal(stain guard)

Capital stove

Wife wanted simple lines everywhere as you can see.

• theplayer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

2 beams were structural, added 2 to complete the look

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Your kitchen walks the line between traditional and modern. The furnishings can go either way. This can be a design model for others wanting this hybrid effect--which is many of us. Very successful design.

• elba1
    12 years ago

Nice - I like the 2 colors - congrats to you!

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

My 3 year old grandson was quite taken with your kitchen - he got a little kitchen of his own from Santa, so he's definitely interested. His favorite part is the carolers on the table by the window. [We went to the local "Christmas House" last night and he thanked a plastic Santa for all the nice presents he brought.]

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!
    Really inspirational. Love the green. Love the wood.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Wow, I love, love your cabinets! Yes, your guy did a GREAT job staining the maple. The green complements it so well. But what really blows me away is how much I like the New Venetian Gold granite with your cabs. To be honest, before I saw your kitchen, I was not a big fan of NVG. Now I realize I just never saw it with the right cabinets. Great, great choice. Also think the travetine 12x24 tiles look Euro.

Enjoy.

• sjerin
    12 years ago

I really like your kitchen--it looks elegant, yet warm and cozy! I have rather an odd question: is there a reason you put the shallow wall on one side of the range near the doorway? It looks really good in your kitchen and I hope I can do the same with mine.

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

Ditto what everyone else said - your kitchen is gorgeous. These pics will end up in a lot of inspiration folders.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Very nice. Very elegant. I LOVE the combination of finishes on your island!

• theplayer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the columns you see on either side of the stove are cosmetic..basically so there is some continuation down from the ceiling beams.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Oh, my gosh, but this is lovely! I love the painted uppers/stained lowers look but so often I see it with white painted uppers. Love, love, love the green! It's so warm and homey. Great idea to combine the two treatments on the island. Very nicely done!

Love the box beam ceiling, too. Was this existing or did you add it? Was this created out of necessity as a way to camouflage support beams? How tall are your uppers?

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love the two finishes, and the way you solved a structural issue with architectural interest! Very clever and it looks so nice!

Congratulations and ENJOY!

• kaysd
    12 years ago

I really love the combination of the warm stained cabinets and the green painted cabinets. The columns and beams add a lot of character. Love the large rectangular floor tiles - I noticed that in a lot of the pictures of British kitchens I like and am thinking of doing something similar.

• theplayer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

2 of the ceiling beams were structural so we added 2 more to complete the look

Just wanted to add the it was so nice having the cabs built custom, so many little things were able to be easily changed.

• sjerin
    12 years ago

Sorry I haven't been back to thank you for answering my question until now, theplayer. Things are busier when the kiddies are home! So basically that little "wall" is two columns placed together? I think it's the perfect place for the light switch. You have a good eye to tie all the beams and columns together--I wish I had that talent! Thanks again.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures