Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorfast

Fiestaware colors to go with my kitchen

colorfast
9 years ago

Hi, everyone, I'm finally back (and with a backsplash no less). I would love some help picking out some Fiestaware colors and amounts for my kitchen.

My top contender for dinner plates is white because I think a lot of foods just look best on a white background.

But I thought it would be fun to do an accent color. My granite actually reads more dark blue in daylight or without a blinding flash. So I am thinking cobalt blue for bowls. Should the salad plates be white or cobalt blue or some of each? Or do you all have other ideas on color?

I know I need at least 10 dinner plates for our family of 5. Was thinking of 10 salad plates and six bowls. No mugs, as we have quite a few. Any thoughts on the bowl options would be great too; I am leaning toward the regular medium bowl.

I can't remember how to do a second link but you can find fiestaware colors at

https://www.fiestafactorydirect.com

Thanks for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorfast's kitchen

Comments (28)

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Cobalt is VERY dark. Lapis is a lovely cool new blue that I think would look great in your kitchen. Much prettier than the picture below. Or some combo of the three would look really good!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Lemongrass would be beautiful. I also find that many foods look great on it. I find the best prices on Fiesta as sets when they go on sale. In determining amounts, I have decided to go with 8 place settings of cobalt as my table seats 8. Then I wanted 2 other colors and I went with lemongrass and scarlet, as they all coordinate well together. For those 2, I am working towards 6 place settings of each as we are a family of 6. This way I can set the table all cobalt, scarlet or lemongrass or I can mix and match for larger crowds. For accessories, I will choose to do just one of color, like just cobalt fruit bowls, just lemongrass bouillon bowls, etc. Definitely check out the gusto bowls, they are fabulous for large salads.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Your kitchen colors are not far from ours, I think you need a contrast, we chose Paprika, and love it.
    And I have to disagree (with all due respect) to tishtoshnm, I bought a lemongrass serving platter, and any food I put on it does not look all that appetizing ;) chris

• colorfast
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great answers, I could go so many directions.

Robotropolis--this photo looks so different for the lapis than what the Fiestaware site has. Yours looks richer and darker.

Tishtosh, interesting idea on the lemongrass. I had also thought about the sunflower for similar reasons. And the poppy is really fun but I really don't think my husband will be keen on that.

What do you guys think about the white? Is the whole idea that people who do fiestaware just don't do white? I always thought the dark blues and whites were gorgeous together. A final random thought I had was cobalt, plum and white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lapis

• colorfast
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just saw your message cty. Did you go all paprika, or did you do two colors?

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I have both the cobalt and the lapis. Just be aware that the cobalt, depending on your availability of light, can look black. I happen to really like the colour but that's because it plays with my good china really nicely. However my 85 year old mother refuses to eat off of it because she thinks it looks black.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

No colorfast, we also have the Homer Laughlin diner bistro set which are an off white with black stripes around the rims.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Oh come on, cobalt looks exactly like a dark navy. It's beautiful and a great anchor piece for any set, especially if you want blues. If it looks black to you, revise your lighting scheme or see an ophthalmologist.

Black and white might go better with your counter and bs, but if you're into blues, consider using cobalt, lapis, turquoise and lemongrass together. It's a pretty combination. The image below also uses peacock. I'm not a huge fan of the peacock. In the stack of bowls to the left, you'd use the four bottom bowls.

Enjoy them. I love the Fiestaware I've bought. Use them in the best of health in you new space.

• itsallaboutthefood
    9 years ago

I have cobalt and persimmon (no longer available I guess) fiesta ware as well as other dishes which look similar to lemongrass. I have never thought that the cobalt looks black at all. Here is a picture against my black soapstone. (Although the picture makes it look darker on the computer screen than in real life).

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I like the paprika, which food would look good on. Blue, not so much. It is said to kill appetites. The paprika would also look great with the blue in your counter ( which i can not see, it looks gray). You could also jazz it up with some of the light turquoise.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm still loving everyone's pictures and comments.

Also getting the impression that white is not really a fiestaware trend. But...I actually began with the idea I would do all white dishes. I was looking to buy Homer Laughlin's restaurant line at a local restaurant supply store, but they closed down. So here I am.

Meanwhile, my engineering minded husband, is a little astonished I might do two colors for our china. Three will really throw him for a loop.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• colorfast
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, we are pulling the trigger on a cyber Monday sale at Macy's. We did a mix of white, cobalt and lapis for now. I may still add another accent color in the years to come but just wasn't ready to commit.

Thanks everyone for your help and your pictures!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Colorfast, I think you're right that a lot of fiesta fanatics get into it because we like anything but white but hey, even in white the shapes, the rings and the vintage sizes (not gargantuan) are nice classics.

Best of luck and I hope you like your color combo! It sounds very pretty.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Holy octagon, batman. White Fiestaware will be a vast improvement. Be sure to buy Wrights Copper Cream to keep the flatware marks at bay.

• itltrot
    9 years ago

I have 10 or 12 place setting of all different colors. No matching for me. I will say there are several plates that food does not look appetizing on. One is the ivory. Why I bought that I'll never know. Sames goes for chocolate. And persimmon (although it was a gift).

I tend to grab scarlet, tangerine, sunflower, peacock, turquoise and shamrock as my favorites. While I love most of the rest of the colors, the darker ones make be feel blah. But that might prevent overeating. Hmmmm.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Here's a photo with white, lapis, cobalt and scarlet.

Here's my collection - picked up the new poppy and it is a real winner (3rd from top). Super vintage looking color.

Flamingo, Scarlet, Poppy, Tangerine, Marigold, Sunflower, Chartreuse, Lemongrass, Shamrock, Turquoise, Peacock, Lapis, Cobalt, Plum.

My faves are poppy, turquoise, shamrock, marigold.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 14:16

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

Robo, I love that rainbow arrangement!!! Makes me want to go buy some Fiestaware. Alas, I have wayyyy too many dishes already.
    Diane

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Thanks to this thread, we have a different colored set of dishes coming for each member of our family for Christmas. : ) I appreciate the heads up on the sale at Macy's!

The kids are going to love each having their own color. I let them each pick a shade online, but I won't let them see the real deal until they unwrap them Christmas morning so there's at least a little surprise! It's gonna be hard for ME to wait, LOL.

• bookworm4321
    9 years ago

I only have ivory and lapis. I wish I had a set of different colors that I thought looked pretty. I would not worry about matching any more, now that I am older & hopefully wiser.

I wish my son and his s/o would go the Fiesta route, and add a place setting yearly, in whatever color they like.

• theresa2
    9 years ago

I have white Corelle for my everyday dishes, because I like to eat off of white dishes too. But we use Fiestaware coffee mugs, in scarlet, lapis, marigold and lemongrass. I like the feel and function of Fiestaware mugs over Corelle mugs. I also have Fiestaware serving dishes for display and everyday use. My kitchen is navy and white with pale yellow walls. I think the lapis goes really well with navy.

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

I also have Fiestaware in an assortment of colors. I love them!! Cobalt is not my favorite (it's very dark), but it's nice to mix it up! For anyone who lives near west virginia, they have a 'seconds' room where you can get everything at reduced prices (located at the manufacturing plant). When we finish our kitchen I might make another trip there... :-)

• colorfast
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Loving the photos.

Laughable, did you make it in time for the Macy's Cyber Monday sale too? That's great! What colors did you get (or will the family see this post)?

For those who missed that sale, I found many other sales from reputable sources including Kohl's and well-known cooking websites like Rachel Ray. Also check out Fiestafactorydirect.com, Fiestaware's own website. I passed on websites where I knew nothing about the site--not worth the chance of buying a knockoff by mistake.

For those who find this thread later, if you are trying to decide on Fiesta colors, do a Google Image search for Fiestaware and "food." You can also add a specific color name to your search terms, ie "Fiesta Cobalt food." I added an example photo below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cobalt bowl with corn chowder

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Dinnerware USA is another good source. They have a warehouse in Florida you can visit, too. It's a wonderland.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Yes, we made it in time for the sale! : ) We bought a rainbow, LOL.
    -Scarlet
    -Turquoise
    -Black
    -Lapis
    -Cobalt
    -Sunflower
    -Peacock
    -Shamrock
    -Plum

I'm looking forward to seeing them. We stayed at a cottage a few years ago that had Fiestaware, and it was fun to have all the colors available for our meals.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I love my scarlet Fiestaware dishware! Red stimulates the appetite, though. oh, uh. =)

Have fun with your new dishes!

• bluemoon67
    9 years ago

I too have a mix of colors. I've had it forever. Now that I've redone my kitchen and am more into the blue/green colors, I've been adding to it with those pretty shades. What I've noticed though is the new plates are a different shape than the old ones. They seem like an improvement-much thicker, but you can see the way they sit up higher in the stack than the others. Newer mugs I've seen are also more square and much larger, but I don't know if they come with the set or are a separate purchase. I love the peacock and turquoise! :) Very happy colors.

• arch123
    9 years ago

Replacement in Greensboro NC is very good
    Here is a link
    http://www.replacements.com/webquote/HLCFIEDBL.htm#6035424
    I think they have a big inventory and ship.

Here is a link that might be useful: Replacement