Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islanddevil

Any of you in San Diego or S. Orange or Riverside County?

islanddevil
11 years ago

Hi All. I live in San Diego County CA and wondering if any of you are in San Diego or vicinity: S Orange and Riverside Co.

Just starting to think about remodeling several areas of our home and was hoping maybe some of you have resources to share such as:

Good KD or construction companies you worked with?
Custom cabinet makers or places to purchase quality manufactured?

Any recs for where to purchase hardwood or engineered wood flooring, tile and good people to install it?

We also need to replace baseboards and moldings, some windows, interior doors, install recessed ceiling lights in several rooms, redo a fireplace surround, change our interior stair railings (want iron maybe), add some wood built-ins on the side of my fireplace, and of course need to replace bath and kitchen appliances and lighting. Any suggestions?

We're also willing to drive anywhere in Southern CA if you know of a great granite, quartizite, stone yard. I'd like light granite or quartzite this time around and quartzite seems pretty scarce in San Diego.

So if you have any thoughts or recs for any of this in my area I'd love to hear about it! Thank you.

Comments (4)

• magdiego
    11 years ago

Can't help you with most of that, but I can tell you we found the most variety and biggest selection of countertops by going up to "Stone City" - an area in Anaheim (near Disneyland) that has a huge number of stone yards. In San Diego, the best selection we found was at DalTile and Arizona Tile, both in Mira Mesa. They are both indoor 'yards', which I found to be much easier. Looking at stone in the bright sun can be a blinding experience, plus it's hard to get an accurate impression of the stone.

I was not happy with Bedrosians, the salespeople didn't seem to be very knowledgeable. One told me that granite only came in honed or polished finishes, and there was no such thing as flamed, leathered, etc.

A friend of mine had a bad experience at Granix, in San Marcos, although I always received decent service there - we wound up buying a couple of prefabs for the bathrooms from them.

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

For your slab and tile, Walker Zanger

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Island, I live in Orange County and State College Blvd is the place to go for tile, granite and some flooring. There are a number of stone and tile businesses all up and down State College. We bought our granite from DalTile which is a couple blocks off of State College.

We had a great general contractor who did amazing work. Demo to finish was three weeks. But, I don't think he would work as far south as SD.

We bought our engineered wood flooring from a little shop near our home called FloorSource in Irvine. Lezlie Lovette is the owner and a nice gal to work with.

Our flooring. Victoria Floors Antique Collection Coique Chocolate, 7" wide planks.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: DalTile Anaheim

• kaysd
    11 years ago

I am in SD. Cabinetry Design built gorgeous custom cherry cabinets with raised panels for our last house in 2004. They were better priced than a lot of the semi-custom lines we priced at kitchen showrooms and big box stores. I am currently waiting for them to build slab walnut cabinets for our new house.

Light colored quartzite is hard to find in SD. In the Miramar area, check Amazon, Tutto Marmo, AZ Tile, Brazilian Exotic Granite, and Marmol, as they regularly carry White Macauba and some other light quartzites. In San Marcos, Granix and Brazilian Exotic Granite have quartzite. I visited those yards multiple times over the year and a half that I was planning the remodel to see what new shipments arrived. There were a few slabs early in the process that I wish I had bought, because it took a while to wait for new shipments that had large enough slabs with a pattern I like. I finally bought my slabs of WM at Amazon last week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinetry Design