Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momto4inor_gw

Durability of wood island?

momto4inor
13 years ago

This probably isn't the best day to post, but I have a peaceful moment, so I'll go ahead anyway. I am considering a wood-top walnut butcher block style island in our new home. What are your thoughts for the true durability of wood? I need this to be a working island - prepping food for dinner, setting food on, kids eating breakfast (messy boys!!) doing homework, etc... This island is going to cost about 3k more than the budgeted granite, but I love the look of wood in an all white kitchen. Am I foolish? Is it worth it? Should I just save my 3k and stick with the more industrious granite? FYI - I am not an anal cleaner...I pick up and wipe down but am not neurotic about this type of thing...

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Mom to 4 in OR

Comments (11)

• momto4inor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks mnerg for following up, I have read through that and seen his beautiful island.

Clearly, for adults that want to cut on their island it works. I guess what info I'm after is more about the just day-to-day use and abuse that it might get in a large family setting. Again, with four kids 8 and younger, we have a lot of spills, drips and full-blown messes that are not always promptly cleaned up. Knowing that there will be "patina" that will come with my island, is the look worth the money and extra hassle of oiling monthly and other maintenance issues that it might have?

Again, I really appreciate any insight you can offer.
    Mom to 4

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

FWIW. I had an 16ft or so long run of cherry counter 9not butcher block) in my old kitchen, against the KD's advice.

I loved it. It was oiled very few months (no big deal) and still looks great. I did not cut on it, but spills were not an issue at all. I also of course, used hot pads.
    I had undercounter lighting and I loved the way the wood looked at night. I used it often to set up buffets.

I had such good success with it, that in my new house I am even putting wood on either side of my sink. Google some European kitchens, they use wood all the time.

good luck

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Are you going to cut on it? We don't cut on ours, so finished it with Waterlox so it takes spills, etc., and is waterproof. The finish can be refreshed, which we'll be ready for this summer, after 3 yrs of use. But I don't think that an oiled top requires so much work that you'll resent it either.

We made our island top of Douglas fir, which is soft, and not a recommended choice for an island (but we had it to use, so it was essentially free)...and it's holding up fine in an 8-kid household. We don't allow things to be trashed, but we don't baby things either.

• margcooks
    13 years ago

We just (1 month ago) installed our wood island, and we LOVE it. It's edge-grain mahagony, 8' x 4'. It's unstained and not sealed with waterlox or anything. It has to be oiled once a week or so in the beginning, and then about once a month. I love the variation in the wood and I intend to use it to cut on, eat on, live on. I'm not worried about the kitchen looking lived in--it's a working space, so I opted to not seal the wood. Wet glasses will leave a ring mark, as will hot pans or trays if you leave them on the surface. It that bothers you, you can sand it down, or, if you're like me, just live with it (we don't put anything really hot on it--the only thing I worry about is burning it). I don't mind the oiling at all. There are no cut-outs in the island, so it's easy to oil it and I find it relaxing. It takes about 3 to 5 minutes, and I do it at night then wipe off any excess in the morning. The other plus is that it keeps you from cluttering up the island top! Good luck.

• katieob
    13 years ago

Margcooks~

Any photos of your wood island?

Thanks,
    Katie

• margcooks
    13 years ago

Katie,

Let me get the kitchen cleaned up, and I'll take some and post!

• margcooks
    13 years ago

Katie,
    Here are some pix (in my not-cleaned-up kitchen).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pix of Wood Island

• katieob
    13 years ago

Margcooks,

Thanks so much for that pic! That wood is perfect-beautiful. Going right into my file for planning.

Thanks again,
    Katie

• allison0704
    13 years ago

We've been in our new home just over five years and have two different wood counters. The island is vintage pine finished with Good Stuff for Wood. I do not cut on the counter. The coffee station is new pine wood, finished with a non-shiny poly.

I'm not a neurotic cleaner, but we do try to wipe up slashes. I rarely wipe edge of wood at the sink itself.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

• momto4inor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh thank you so much for you inspiration. You have all given me the confidence to go with my gut, which is to choose to have a wood island. I know it isn't for everyone, but I do think it's for me. Your pictures are beautiful...love your wood and hopefully will love mine too!

Happy Holidays to you all!
    Mom to 4 in OREGON