Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

KAW...chocolate....bread !!

User
10 years ago

Oh my....this is the bread I first ate at Balthazar's in NYC ! Cat_mom got a loaf too :) I found the recipe a few years back. Made 6 loaves today. You must make this...really...it is SO yum.

6oz bitter chocolate...

oh yes..

rising on soapstone !

ready for the oven:

mmmhhh...

look at that melty goodness...

{{gwi:1994268}}

If you want the recipe let me know...I will be glad to link it. c

Comments (19)

• magsnj
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I want the recipe!!!! I may feel a little inadequate though, b/c I only have 2 loaf pans. :)

It looks so delicious.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Can you email it to me? Thanks...M

• springroz
    10 years ago

I am waiting on THIS very bread's final rise right now!!! I had to go to a Caveman Chorus concert during the first rise, LOL!!

It looks GREAT, thanks, c!!

Nancy

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Recipe please! Would love to make this for Christmas! ...besides your soapstone looks a lot like mine :)

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Wow wow wow!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is SO good...The one I cut has some of the cherries in it...perfect with chocolate !! Here is the recipe. Follow it exactly. I used my own starter instead of the one they have you make. So if you need to add a few drips of water to get all the dough wet so it looks like that first pic then make sure and do so. It should feel like velvet and not be sticky at all or dry. c

mag...I only had 5 that is why you see the round loaf :) So no excuses !! thank you !

nyc....you have mail !

nancy ..how cool it that !? thank you !

cty...here it is...thank you !

cat...wish you were closer :) c

1. Use Turbinado sugar for the top...lots not regular
    2. Use the bittersweet not unsweet chocolate

CHOCOLATE BREAD STARTER
    1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
    1 cup lukewarm water
    1 cup all-purpose flour, plus
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour ( you can use bread flour)
    CHOCOLATE YEAST BREAD
    5 cups bread flour ( 1 c or so extra for kneading)
    1/2 cup good-quality cocoa powder
    2/3 cup sugar, plus
    4 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons active dry yeast dissolved in 2 c warm water
    2 1/2 teaspoons fine salt
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature,plus more for pans
    6 ounces good-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
    vegetable oil, for lightly oiling bowl
    1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
    1 tablespoon heavy cream
    4 tablespoons turbinado sugar
    Directions
    1)Chocolate Bread Starter: Dissolve yeast in water for 10 minutes; stir in flour until completely mixed; cover loosely and leave to proof at room temperature 6 hours.

2) Chocolate Yeast Bread: KA with dough hook for 5 min. on low or till completely smooth- mix 5c flour, cocoa, 2/3 cup sugar, yeast water and 1/2 cup Chocolate Bread Starter (freeze the remainder for later use); scrape sides often let rest in bowl 15 minutes.

3)Turn on KA to med. and add soft butter and salt, cont for 10 min till it is smooth and shiny. After the 10 min add in about 1/2c-3/4 c flour now , just enough so dough cleans bowl and cont a couple minutes. Should be very soft but kneadable. Place on counter with a light dusting of flour and knead in chopped chocolate thoroughly.

4)Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours; leaving dough in bowl, fold dough into thirds as if folding a letter for an envelope, recover with plastic wrap; let rest 30 minutes.

5)Butter three 8"x4"x2" loaf pans and coat with remaining 4 T granulated sugar; divide dough in thirds ( will have 4# of dough approx) and then divide each third into 3 even pieces; roll and form each piece of dough into a tight ball; place three pieces, smooth side up, side-by-side in each loaf pan; cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled, about 2 hours.

6)Preheat oven to 375°;right before placing in oven combine egg yolk and cream and brush on loaves; sprinkle with lots of turbinado sugar; place in oven, reduce temperature to 350° and bake for 40-45 minutes or until loaves have a slightly hollow sound when tapped on the bottom.

7)Let rest in loaf pans for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.

This post was edited by trailrunner on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 14:02

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

Does anyone still knead bread by hand? I have a KA mixer with a bread hook, but when you do it by hand you can feel when you have just the right amount of flour and the dough is just the right texture. Not to mention the exercise and the opportunity for meditation!

• magsnj
    10 years ago

I'll be kneading it by hand....

Trailrunner, did you do 4 tight balls in step 5 or 3? The pic looks like three to me, and I'd like mine to look like yours.

• springroz
    10 years ago

When she posted these pic's, I had mine in the pans, rising. I had done 4 , and it came out , but it was not as pretty. Of course, it NEVER is.....but I will do 3 next time.

It TASTES great, and I am going to use the starter on rye and wheat bread, which I can never get to rise correctly. Maybe this will lighten it up!!

Nancy

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

suzanne...I have been kneading by hand since the 70's and yes it is the perfect way to "feel " the bread and the experience in many ways :) But this is more like a brioche and the kneading of the bread and getting the butter into the bread and developing the gluten require special handling which ordinary kneading will not accomplish, If you are familiar with the "slap and fold" Bertinet method then you will be able to achieve similar finish otherwise this is not the bread to use standard hand kneading on. Good Luck to you and to mag...I hope you enjoy ! I will link to the technique below that you will have to use to make this bread.

Nancy and mag...sorry about the typo above ! It is indeed 3 balls not 4 ! I will correct it now. Thanks for catching it !

Nancy glad you enjoyed the bread. If you are interested in making your own starter from wild yeast and also the apple yeast water let me know. It makes all the difference in the texture of the bread. I would be glad to direct you toward the method. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Bertinet method...slap and fold

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Trail- I need to move closer to you! You are my inspiration! I am drooling just looking at your pictures!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a2..I sure wish you were closer ! We could work of the calories together :)

How is your ankle ? training going ??? Hope it is way improved . c

• larecoltante Z6b NoVa
    10 years ago

Trailrunner, it looks heavenly! Can you send me the directions for apple yeast water? Thanks!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

larecoltante...you have mail through GW! let me know if you want more info. and if you want a link to start your own wild yeast you can find it on the Fresh Loaf also just use the search . c

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

Good to know! I've never done a brioche and would like to try. Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it. I used to make all our bread when the kids were little (born in 74, 76, and 78) and they were all allergic to different things. The kid allergic to all corn products was the biggest problem. At the time, it was very difficult to find commercial bread without corn syrup or whatever in it. Did you know baking powder has corn in it? Now that was tricky.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

suzanne I am glad you posted back ! What a challenge. Our family has always been able to eat anything I put on the table. I have been lucky ! Our kids are 75,77 and 82 ! Let me know if you make the bread....pics too :) c

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Trail- thanks for asking. The ankle continues to improve and I ran 15k Saturday. It was really cold but no snow. Our unofficial run to support our adopted families.

I guess after 15k, I could justify a caramel or 3.
    In any case, my mantra is Boston Strong, Boston Bound. This one will be special as I am running for a local Boston charity.

Keep cranking out KAW pictures. They are so motivating. When I grow up, I want to cook and bake just like you :-).

• amykath
    10 years ago

That looks fantastic!!

What does KAW stand for? I have been wondering for weeks!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha....a2...I don't plan to ever grow up ! My birthday was Friday ..63 ! I gave 2 loaves of the chocolate bread to folks that had purchased it and they loved it ! I hope you will try and make it . Congratulations on the training and being STRONG !! You are doing SO great. I am glad.

ak...Kitchen At Work !! I am glad you like it. c

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths