Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burbmomoftwo_gw

Wanted: A Large Walk-in Pantry

burbmomoftwo_gw
9 years ago

Trying to help with some minor modifications to a stock plan to get a large walk-in pantry. Attached is the Kitchen / Nook area.

Nook is 16'8" top to bottom as shown. Kitchen is actually 19'7" top to bottom, and the entire width of the Nook/Kitchen as shown is really 21' 6". Builder is going to add 3' more to open this space up to 24'6" wide so large table and island will go here.

The goal - a large walk-in Pantry, 8x5 or so. A lot of leeway in changes here - builder says if the sq ft is the same, re-arrange as desired.

I've received good comments before from GardenWeb - maybe someone here sees some great solution I'm missing.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

Need layout including all adjacent rooms.

• burbmomoftwo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Surrounding Rooms

• amykath
    9 years ago

Exactly where do you want the walk in pantry to be? We have one in our new build. It sits behind the range wall, where your current office is located.

My plan looks like this, if it helps at all. Maybe you can push back on the office wall and make the space there?

• aokat15
    9 years ago

Do you need the second powder room near your office? I see one also in the foyer. If so, I think you can rework your laundry/closet area to include it there and then you could split the office area into a large pantry and an office. Not sure what is to the right of the office, but it could be something like this:

• jimandanne_mi
    9 years ago

Before dealing with the kitchen, there are other things to consider first, IMO. There are a lot of corners in the exterior of this house, which will unnecessarily increase the cost to build. It might be helpful to see the entire first floor.

You could easily take the back wall and bring it straight across the back of the family room, nook, kitchen, and office, which would get rid of 4 corners. You could also make the stairs/laundry/mudroom wall straight and get rid of 4 more corners. Switch the direction of the door from the nook to the outside, which would make it much more convenient in getting food outside from the kitchen.

Why would you need 2 powder rooms? I'd keep the one by the office.

The view from the foyer through the dining room is straight through to the (messy?) kitchen. You could reduce the size of both openings into the DR, and the extended walls would block part of the view. Also, extend the bottom wall of the nook to the right to whatever you decide the width of the nook will be. Then make the kitchen an L by getting rid of the corner pantry & bottom cabinets. You could then have a 2' deep pantry to the right of the fridge, then a door on the bottom wall of the kitchen to the back hall (which will also be more convenient to the garage), and another 2' deep pantry along the bottom wall to the left of the door to the hall. Or, if it has to be a walk-in, just shorten the island, get rid of the bottom cabinet to the left of the corner walk-in, and make a large rectangular walk-in pantry there.

Anne

• burbmomoftwo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery - IâÂÂm not sure where IâÂÂd like the pantry, but your floorpan looks beautiful. But I have to ask - what are the dimensions of all this? The Floorpan is a little hard to see.

aokat15 - I love that idea, but considering turning the Office area into an In-Law Suite. I guess the dining room could become that. But then no formal dining room, so the Nook/Kitchen needs to be large enough to be the primary eating area

jimandanne - I agree with corners/costs, but it seems all the floorpans you see (Betz, Don Gardner, etc.) seem to do this type of thing. Only the large âÂÂtractâ builders seem to offer a floorpan thatâÂÂs big rectangle, but the donâÂÂt really allow for any customization. I think the plan for the Foyer Bath was to just add it to the Master Closet - bigger closet for her :)

• lyfia
    9 years ago

I have no good idea of what the size is of this or what your ideal dimensions were based on so this may not work for you, but it is only an idea.

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

What's minimum size for "large walk-in pantry". Regardless, I think step #1 is to bag the nook and consolidate dining to the dining room, then start from scratch in the kitchen/nook space.

• chitown_mary
    9 years ago

And if possible, try to incorporate Marcolo's great 'Ice Water Stone Fire' axiom. Your original plan has the pantry (and fridge) quite a ways from the sink. That makes for a bit of a haul when you want to rinse things off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Looking for layout help? Memorize this first.