Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3ilovepie

Pot filler yay or nay?

3ilovepie
9 years ago

We planned for a pot filler because I do almost all of the cooking and pots full of water are starting to get heavy for me. I cook a lot - but right now I only really fill pots with water 1-2times a day.

Is there a down side to having it?

Comments (23)

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

Pot fillers as a trend are definitely on the outs, all my plumbing and designing pals say. But trends don't matter if you really need one. I didn't need one. I cook pasta maybe 6 times a year. If I add water to a soup or stock, I draw it hot from my filtered insta-hot. But I do know folks who have pasta or something comparable at every meal. Add to that lifting limitations and aging-in-place, and the answer is different for everyone. But I would never put one in just to get "the look." Good luck with your project!

This post was edited by MizLizzie on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 22:26

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Is there a reason why the pots are suddenly getting too heavy? Like an injury?

There is no reason you shouldn't get a pot filler if you want one, but if you're in perfect health, this sounds more like a case for strength training than a pot filler. You will always need to lift the pots back off anyway, and if you are losing the ability to do something for no outside reason, it is the beginning of a slippery slope if you don't do something.

My arthritic, legally blind grandmother gained a lot of capabilities and independence back when she started doing strength training in her eighties. If she had started much younger, her golden years could have been SO much more active and comfortable.

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

I had thought about one. Then someone mentioned to me that if the faucet of your pot filler drips, there is no drain. I didn't want something else to worry about. I'm trying to stay with the motto "keep it simple" wherever it makes sense. This was one case it did. Didn't seem like enough "up side" for me.

• User
    9 years ago

It takes much more muscle control and strength to deal with the hot pot of water to drain than it does the cold water to fill.

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

generally speaking, we make soups, stocks, etc - so I'm not usually emptying the water.

good point about possible dripping. we are going with an open burner range with lots of cast iron - so water dripping would be a problem.

• denizenx
    9 years ago

I'm old school and like to flush the tap a bit at least once a day before use. Makes my water cool and fresh. I filter the water too. Infrequently used pot fillers would be serving fairly stagnant water for my taste.

• CAPERNIUS
    9 years ago

I have never heard of a "pot filler"...

If what you are referring to is some kind of device to fill a pot with water, there are many lightweight ways of making one.

if it is outside where you fill the pot, a garden hose works wonders....

If it is inside the home, there are heat resistant hoses & footings one can purchase that will connect to the faucet of your kitchen.....

As for emptying the pot that is full of water or other liquid, there are valves that can be installed in most any pot that are not effected by the heat of the stove....it may make cooking in them pots a wee bit harder to do though....

My point is, there are ways around having to lug a heavy pot from point "A" to point "B"....

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

We were on the fence also, especially after reading all the posts on here...but decided to put one in anyway.

It is possible it is a fad "on the way out" but we serve pasta often and it beats having to lug a large pot filled with water from the sink to the stove.

my GC said not a big deal to install so we decided to go for it. I guess part of wanting it is also the fact that I have been in so many kitchens that have them and I have always liked them, now is my time to get one...so I'm going for it!

Good luck!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

My concern would be accessing the plumbing. How do you get to the shut-off valve? Of course the pot filler itself has one, but if that leaks, needs maintenance, or needs to be replaced, I'd want to be able to isolate that line.

My cabinet maker (Dan) told me a story about a kitchen he worked in. The guys installing the range hood (not Dan's crew) managed to drop the heavy hood on the pot-filler, which broke it. Water everywhere!

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Every pot filler that I've seen has two valves. With that redundancy, I wouldn't worry about drips & leaks.

Alternative might be that if you have a sink or prep sink on the same run as your cooker--and very near--a pull out or pull down faucet will work as a poor man's pot filler. You just set the pot on the counter or range top and bring the water to the pot.

But, if you're filling large pots a couple of times every day, why not get one? I toyed with the idea of getting one but after thinking it over, decided that I'd be using it maybe a couple of times a week. So, not really worth the investment for that small am't of use.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

everytime this question comes up, it always makes me smile....

everyone who doesn't have one has all the same reasons for not getting one, but they really don't know what they are missing.

yes, u still have to empty the pot with pasta to drain, but that is only one of many uses for the pot filler.

1. pasta
    2. rice
    3. soup
    4. baking
    5. use while cooking, eg. u need more water in a pot, so instead of bringing pot to sink, u just turn on pot filler..
    6. ours has a filter attached, so we have always have filtered water: everything we cook has filtered water in it. we fill our water bottles for the frig with it, no brita system etc...
    7. filtered water will not go "stagnant"..
    8. seriously, we use ours everyday
    9.nice to have a second water supply, we have no prep sink.

1. ours has 2 valves, so chance of leaking, greatly reduced.
    2. u can fill your teapot
    3. u can use it for coffee
      13, when cleaning your cooktop, nice to have a water source right there
      14, i use it to take pills. i don't like drinking frig water with pills, its just too cold for me.
      15, if u can eliminate picking up a heavy pot one way, why not??
    4. it wasn't a huge expense to add
    5. as far as trend, that doesn't even register in my book, its a water source, how can that go out of style???

im sure if i really think about, there are more things i use it for...

If i redo another kitchen, i will be putting one in...
    i use it more than i ever thought, which goes back to my original statement: if u don't have it, you don't realize what u are missing and u rationalize all the same reasons as stated above..

if u want it go for it, you will be so glad u did :)

HTH !!

P.S. if u use the "search" box at bottom of page, there are other posts about this subject

• glitter_and_guns
    9 years ago

If you get one, pay attention to what kind of handle you get. I have a friend with a daughter who brought home a cat from college. A cat that managed to turn on the pot filler whilst no one was home. As they say, pot fillers don't come with a drain.

• denizenx
    9 years ago

7. filtered water will not go "stagnant"..

Sure it will. Ever tasted the first sip from a water fountain that hasn't been used in a few days? I always run 'em a bit if they're dry.

What can I say, I'm fussier than most about water. Don't like it stored in plastic, sitting in contact with copper too long, or even in contact with filter sludge for too long. That's just me.

• denizenx
    9 years ago

http://water.epa.gov/drink/info/lead/lead1.cfm

Excerpt:

Flush Your Pipes Before Drinking
    Flush your pipes before drinking, and only use cold water for cooking and drinking. The more time water has been sitting in your homeâÂÂs pipes, the more lead it may contain. Anytime the water in a particular faucet has not been used for six hours or longer, âÂÂflushâ your cold-water pipes by running the water. Flushing times can vary based on the plumbing configuration in your home and whether your home has a lead service line.

----

That's about lead but the same might apply for copper, pex, brass, solder, etc.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

We are having a pot filler in our new kitchen, but maybe not for quite the reason most people choose them. We are getting an induction stove, and I worry about a careless teen cook plopping a full pot of water onto the cooktop and cracking it. Less expensive to get a pot filler than to repair and induction cooking surface.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

We don't have one, but I can think of another reason to have one. I believe that the water flow from a pot filler is greater than from a regular faucet that is compliant with water-saving regulations. If I am correct about that, I would guess that the reason that the pot filler has a greater flow is that it is assumed that the water won't be wasted because it all goes into a vessel, versus a sink faucet where the running water runs right down the drain, so less flow equals less wasted water.

My Waterstone sink faucet is made in California and complies with its code. While I have gotten used to the lower flow for the most part, it would be nice to be able to fill a pot more quickly.

• kingtutt10
    9 years ago

I have a pot filler and enjoy the looks and convenience. Is it a deal breaker or a wish I had or hadn't, not really. Some like the look some say screams 2000's out of style. I always liked the look and use mine often.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

I have a pot filler and really like it. It fills the pots faster and I also use it to fill my water can when I water the sunroom plants because it is so much faster. I don't really cook so can't say I use it that often for cooking purposes but it didn't cost that much and there's no reason not to have it really.

(Not concerned about leaks really, it does have a double valve).

• peasknees
    9 years ago

I opted for a prep sink on the island over this. However, if I could get one I might do it. It's easier to get one in while remodeling or building than putting one in later I suspect.
    I do understand concerns about leaks and getting behind the wall for repairs.
    It would be nice to just fill a pot on the stove for pasta and soups.

• imageshark
    9 years ago

Nay

• unikanic
    8 years ago

I like to have one but, can you with an induction top? I don't think it's to code

Can't seem to be able to find info on this

• Mags438
    8 years ago

The separate "faucet" really comes in handy in our small kitchen, 1-butt kitchen. When one of us is working at the sink, the other one can use the pot filler - avoids sink congestion.