Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magsnj_gw

What have you bought at Kitchen Supply Stores

magsnj
10 years ago

My mother had a restaurant when I was a child and I remember her having great square storage containers in the fridge a the restaurant. They were perfect for storing soup, sauce....really anything. Made me want to go to the kitchen supply store (for professional kitchens) and pick some up.

Lead me to thinking about what other people may buy and use in their personal kitchens that are normally found in professional kitchens. Does anybody have any other suggestions for what I can pick up while I'm there?

Comments (12)

• sushipup1
    10 years ago

The square containers are also available at Smart & Final, also at the restaurant stores: various sizes of stainless bowls, great baking sheets, assorted things like ladles and tongs and the like. Small mise en place bowls, lots of serving pieces like souffle dishes.

Great resource!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

A large, heavy stock pot.

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

check pricing and types of knives...debuyer pans may or may not be available there-would check though...maple end grain chopping block of course...can think of a million things. Remember in 1985 my first trip to Paris and can't remember which arrondisement but there cropped up an authentic restaurant supply store on my jaunt...nabbed a few things and stuck in my checked bag-think....a copper bottomed small sautee pan/ and a few other knick knacks...the variety of items was unreal...row after row of 7 foot tall shelves-every pan/pot imaginable.....Have fun shopping!.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I just ordered poly gloves at the webstaurant. I could not find them locally.

I have also bought food at a local restaurant supply store.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I have been buying wire shelving from a local restaurant supply store for storage in a few areas in my house (laundry room, pantry, closets). They have a ton of sizes and it's sturdier than some of the junk I can buy at local big box stores. And it is much more affordable to buy the shelving locally than to purchase online and ship to my house.

• bpath
    10 years ago

I don't know if this counts: years ago when I worked in a hotel, the kitchen manager gave me some emptied pickle jars, mayo jars, etc. They're big! They're glass! They're great for flour, sugar, rice, and more!

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

A couple of used heavy stainless steam table rectangular "bowls" (hold about 1 gallon each) that I use to provide outside water for the animals. Guess it depends on the supply store. The big one in Louisville has lots of used items that were interesting.

New items. . . Hmmm. 2 or 3 condiment (mustard, catsup, etc.) bottles that squirt on demand and stand upright between squirts.

And lots of eye candy to admire, if not buy.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

bpathome, I worked in a restaurant in 1973/74. I still have a couple of gallon jars with screw-tops (I think they had maraschino cherries and/or olives) for my flour and sugar. I'm never getting rid of them.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Herbflavor,

Was it Dehillerin? I love that place. I have gotten some of the most wonderful Pillivuyt pieces there that I cannot find anywhere else. I have been there a few times, can't wait to go back again. It may all be a show for tourists (the location seems a tad precious for a supposed business to business operation) but it's fun just the same and a relative bargain for buying anything in Paris!

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

mtnrd:that could be it...fun and awesome! don't remember the green paint but it's probably been painted a few times. the windows and shelves look similar....when are we going?? I want some French onion soup bowls!! amazing....thanks for that pic.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I didn't recall is as green either, but i do remember that it was on a corner like that with a sort of "snubbed nose" entry, and the general location ...

I told my girls I will take them to Paris when they turn 16 -- 5 more years!

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Pizza equipment (peel, pans, cutter), sheet pans and cooling racks, non-stick cookware. Odd-sized springform pans, vinyl gloves, 18" foil and plastic wrap, butcher twine, large stock pots... That's what comes to mind but I know there's more. Many of these things are considerably cheaper than elsewhere locally.