Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxwellmama_gw

Crack in brand new honed granite

maxwellmama
9 years ago

Long time reader, first time poster. My husband and I are in the last week of building a new house. We just had honed dusk granite installed last week. There is a huge crack in the island! The distributor said we saw this when we picked it out. I sure don't remember seeing it. The fabricator did agree that there was a crack when he received slab, but that it got worse after installation. The crack was previously sealed at the quarry, so there is no visible gap. The surface is flat. But the resin they used just makes it look worse. There's this big brownish gap in the beautiful charcoal slab. It goes from one edge to the other.

The distributor has washer their hands of us. The fabricator said he did nothing wrong, but will pay for a repair, or replace with one of two slabs he has on hand, but I don't like either.

Anyone have any experience with sealed cracks in their honed granite? Or experience having a large slab repolished on site? I'm devastated and sick to my stomach about having spent all that money and being so disappointed.

Comments (9)