Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silicone between marble counter and backsplash is coming off..

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 21:00

It's completely separated from the joint between my counter and backsplash and you can snap it like a rubber band in spots. Is this just not decent silicone or should we replace it with something else. If it matters we have silicone between marble counter and backsplash in our bathrooms and it's not budging at all. Those were installed by a different fabricator, however. Are there different grades? Ours are all clear, not colored, if that matters. I'm afraid dirt will get into these joints so I want to replace it asap. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silicone between marble counter and backsplash is coming off.

Is the counter moving with respect to the wall?

o

i see no evidence of the backsplash pulling away from the wall. The backsplash is a 3" marble strip.

o

The counter could have been contaminated before the caulk was applied. Just remove it and redo it. It will need that periodically as maintenance anyway, so a little practice is good.

o

threeapples:

Get a piece of plastic laminate about 3/4" wide by a foot long and break off the end. It will be very sharp and will remove the silicone without damaging the splash or top. Push in a nice bead of silicone, spray it with Windex, spit on your finger, and run it along the joint. The excess silicone will gob up nicely; wipe it on a paper towel. Use a paper towel to wipe up the Windex without touching your perfect bead.

o

I can remove the silicone with just my fingers since it's barely adhered in any areas anymore. By the way, is it normal that it's coming off in not even a year's time?

What kind of silicone should I buy? Obviously I need something that will not seep into the marble and stain it like an oil-based product. Thanks.

o

I assume the backsplash is affixed to the wall. My question is if the counter is moving with respect to the wall. If it is, caulk seams between the counter and backsplash will fail.

o

I see no evidence of the counter moving away from the wall. The backsplash is siliconed to the wall.

The cabinetry does not appear to be moving or changing in any way.

o

There should be 1/8" gap between CT and BS. This allows the silicone to fill and seal this area.

With just a "band" on the wall, they might have set it flush. If so, they should have put a bead of caulk between the two to seal it together. If it is...and they didn't, there is little to hold the surface silicone in place and you'll probably have to periodically replace the caulking.

o

There is going to be movement in the house with the heat going off and on and changes in the weather. If the caulk wasn't very adherent (dust, etc,) a millimeter or two of movement will cause it to pull away.

I know people who have to recaulk around their bathtubs at least yearly.

o

This thread is a testament of why silicone belongs unopened and buried 20' deep in a land fill.

I've used POLYSEAMSEAL for 30yrs.

Your dampened finger is the tool.

o

Thanks, I'll look up polyseamseal. I assume it's ok for marble?

o

Is this the same counter that had a seam separate and need redoing in an earlier thread?

o

Yes, less than a year. The counters were installed in May I think.

o

Interior and exterior products available.
Its available at hdw., big box and paint stores by locktite.

o

Forget "Polyseamseal." It's a latex cau;k. Use SILICONE caulk. Sigh.....

o

Agreed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here