Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctbert

How do you clean your stainless appliances?

ctbert
9 years ago

Hi everyone.
I'm looking for ideas for products to keep my new stainless appliances clean and polished. The cleaner/polish which we received from the dealer is a heavily perfumed aerosol spray. We are looking for a less toxic replacement.
Thanks for any suggestions/

Comments (17)

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

A bit of dish soap and water, rinse, dry with a microfiber towel. The only thing I use a polish on is the sink, and then only now and then. I use the polish recommended on KitchenAid's website, which is non-abrasive. It has a very faint scent, but it goes away quickly when it is buffed off.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Lemon pledge for some and a damp microfiber cloth for others.

I think there was a lengthy thread or two asking this same question. You might have luck finding more suggestions if you use the search function.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Weiman stainless steel wipes. You can get them at Walmart. I have discovered the secret to getting out the water runs etc on appliances is NOT to rub hard when wiping off the polish, just enough to get the polish off and leave a nice shine. I found that rubbing hard removes all the wax and the streak shows up again.

• beaniebakes
    9 years ago

I used dish soap, water and microfiber cloth until I couldn't remove fingerprints near the door handle. After trying several products, I followed advice on another thread and bought a product called Magic, It's a spray can. Excellent product.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

When I had stainless appliances (previous home) I also used Lemon Pledge and a microfiber cloth (the yellow ones you get in the big package at Costco)

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

Magic and/or Weiman user here.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have found that the oily cleansers attract lint and pet hair. I use hot water on a Libman microfiber sponge and then wipe it dry with a microfiber cloth. If there's a greasy fingerprint on the fridge, and I pity the fool who left it, I'll use a drop of Dawn.

Libman also has a large microfiber sponge with a chamois on one side.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"If there's a greasy fingerprint on the fridge, and I pity the fool who left it ..."

LOL.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I use orange pledge instead of lemon. It doesn't work any better, but I prefer the smell.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

White vinegar and water, sprayed on, wipe with microfiber cloth. It's the best (and easiest) thing I've found - and the least expensive!

• sherri1058
    9 years ago

Water, drop of dish detergent and a microfibre cloth are my usual cleaning supplies. Periodically I use Beeswax spray which is absolutely amazing for removing streaks and bringing back the brand new look. It also helps to repel fingerprints.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beeswax spray

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

I always scrub down and wipe the stainless steel sinks of my clients with a medium scrubber with virgin olive oil.

Don't ask why......it just works.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Dish detergent/water on a sponge, wipe dry with towel. It must have to do with differences in brands, because I am baffled by the fussing over stainless steel.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    9 years ago

I have tried everything listed and more... I have found Bayes Stainless Cleaner and Conditioner to work miracles.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I was at a friend's house this past weekend and she has the same refrigerator as I do. I was admiring hers because it was gleaming and spotless. I asked her what she used to make it so perfect. She said she used mineral oil. I was surprised but there were not fingerprints on it and it was beautiful!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I picked up a stainless steel cleaning mitt at BBB almost 2 years ago and forgot I had it. I just pulled it out and seems to work great - it is microfiber and silver in color - not sure of the brand. Just use water and wipe.

Of course, my Miele never shows fingerprints but the other appliances do pop lovely fingerprints. Fortunately my DH knows how to use a handle but my DB hasn't figured this out yet and have to do some work after he leaves.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company