Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wwyd?

Posted by zeitgast (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 20:56

Hi all

We are embarking on a major remodelling project and just met with our GC. One of the challenges we are having is moving some smelly oil tanks to a new location in th new addition. The GC said that the tanks might not be the reason for the odor but rather the burner itself.

He recommended changing to propane with a buried tank. We thought about adding a propane tank for the kitchen initially until we learned about induction cooktops. He claims that we can save on energy costs and power our stove and grill at the same time.

There is an added cost to doing this on the order of $5k and we are already tight on the budget. Would be interested in thoughts on 1) energy savings confirmation and 2) odor elimination. Really liked that induction cooktop too but alas we are going to need to make tradeoffs. Thanks in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wwyd?

Not sure I grasp the tank issues, but I would danged sure not pass up a chance to move to induction over gas. Having used both quite a lot, there is no comparison for me, but YMMV. There is a long and fascinating thread on this topic over at Appliance board. Will try to post it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction v. Gas

o

We had to move the oil tank from in ground to in house at the old house and neither the oil burner nor the tank smelled. There is clearly something wrong if it's smelling.

You would have to look at both propane and oil in your area to get a true cost comparison to see which would be more efficient for you to use.

We chose to not do either in the new house but went with geothermal which has proved to be very cost effective. And we love waving at the oil trucks as they drive by our house!

I too would vote for the induction cooktop regardless of the fuel issue....it is superior to either gas or electric, IMHO.

o

I would contact a reputable furnace repair place (your oil delivery should have recs) and talk through the issues with the smell. How old is your furnace? Is this project creep justified?

You will need to get your local rates for all of your energy sources you are considering. Also, your savings depend on your weather patterns, which might be quite different than mine.

I like my gas stove, and I like it that I can light a burner with a match when the power's out. I have heard induction is pretty cool. If I were significantly over budget, though, I would not feel good about buying the induction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here