Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ar3045

Are all 16 gauge sinks the same?

ar3045
10 years ago

Hello all,
I came across this sink on Costco.com recently.
Looks like it is a recent addition to the website. Never heard of the brand though. That said, donno if the brand names matter at all.

It is 16 gauge. Dont know what else to look for in a sink.
Cannot find reviews anywhere.

Your thoughts please.

http://www.costco.com/Hahn%E2%84%A2-Farmhouse-Stainless-Steel-XL-Single-Bowl-Sink.product.100080520.html

Comments (29)

• User
    10 years ago

Of course they're not the same. There are different alloys of stainless, different countries of production, and different levels of actual warranty response. A lot of the Chinese manufactured sinks shifted production to Turkey in response to the anti dumping legislation. That's what happened to Ticor. There are plenty of companies that are only temporary, produce the lowest quality that ends up rusting, and go out of business in a few years. There really isn't much of a way to tell a good company from a bad one when it's not a well known name like American Standard or Kohler, etc.

A lot of people don't care about if a sink rusts in a few years though because they end up moving in a couple of years and it's the next homeowner's problem to try to replace an undermount sink.

• dennisforman
    10 years ago

You should only buy from a reputable manufacturer with good customer feedback. Otherwise, the Lifetime Warranty doesn't mean anything if the company goes out of business in 3 years. Hahn looks like a new company and there is not a single review for their sinks on Costco or anywhere else. Their website does not even have a 1-800 number for customer service, or their physical address. Are they even based in US? I would be wary of that. My kitchen sink is a 16 gauge one from Ruvati. I bought it from Overstock.com and they have lots of reviews for all their sinks. Ruvati has the same size and type of sink that you are looking at for $473 at MainFaucet.com:

http://www.mainfaucet.com/ruvati-rvh9300-apron-farmhouse-stainless-steel-36-kitchen-sink-single-bowl.htm .

Even though its $73 more, you are getting some extras including the bottom rinse grid. The rinse grid is very handy and important if you want to keep your sink looking like new. It protects your sink from scratches. I have had my sink for more than a year and it still looks like new. Kraus is another brand with good quality sinks. My recommendation would be to go with one of these brands. You could also get Kohler or Elkay but in my opinion they are not any better quality; you are just paying double for their brand image.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruvati Sink

• ar3045
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All,
    Thank you for the feedback. I had not found any other sink with those dimensions. That was the biggest draw for me.

As dennisforman pointed out, there are other sinks in that size.
    I just ordered the Kraus 36 inch farmhouse sink from Amazon. It is currently 449$, but they have a promotion going on that gives me a 50$ Amazon gift card with the purchase. So, I got the same price practically.

More importantly, the reviews seem to be great on the Kraus sink. So, I am hoping I will be happy with the decision.

Thanks guys. I would not dream a remodel without garden web.

• NWRain-Gal
    10 years ago

Hi ar3045,

I think you'll be very happy with the Kraus 16g SS sink from Amazon.

My Mother bought the Kraus 23 inch KBU12 undermount 1 year ago from Amazon and she is very happy with it's performance and look. She got it just before the prices went up and bought it, incl the bottom rack, for $169...what a deal!

We are wrapping up a total kitchen remodel as well. We bought the Kraus KBU14 31 inch 16g Stainless Steel undermount from Amazon for $369. It was installed October 14th and so far I love it! I absolutely love the rack that comes with it, it has saved the sink from accidental dish mishaps and the like. I rinse it down every night and wipe down the sides to the rack. Once a week I take everything out and wash the sink with dish soap making sure I stay with the grain of the sink. I then polish it with some Stainless Steel magic. It stays nice an shiny. I also scrub the rack with an old toothbrush and dish soap to keep it clean once a week too. If the rack is real grungy, I take it to the utility sink in my basement and scrub it with some Soft Scrub with bleach and rinse.

I shopped around a lot and read the reviews and they were all positive for the Kraus. Amazon had a great price and I believe that the Kraus was better choice quality wise and had more extra features, (the rack), than what our quartz fabricator's supplied sink had.

Both my Mom's sink and mine came VERY well packed in some super strong cardboard, styrofoam molded packing, and the sink was wrapped in a black canvas like bag. We were both impressed by the way the company protected its product for shipping!

Our experience with Kraus has been all positive! I think you'll be happy with your decision. :)

This post was edited by NWRain-Gal on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 14:33

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We just installed a Kraus 30" zero radius sink, and I have to reiterate what the previous poster said about the packaging - it's amazing packaging actually (enough that i noticed!). We haven't had the sink long enough to comment on its performance, but it looks great, and it's very quiet even when the full-spray is on from the pull-down faucet.

• ar3045
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks NWRainGal and sjhockeyfan,
    My sink will be delivered tomorrow. Will not be installed for a few weeks at least. Good to hear you happy with Kraus. I would hate to regret my sink choice.

It does seem like a lot of work to clean the grids. Are they not dishwasher safe. I would imagine you can throw it in the DW.

Although mine will be too big for the dishwasher I think (36 inch single bowl sink).

btw, sjhockeyfan, I am trying really hard to get sharks tickets this season. I told my kids, I would take them to the game and they told their friends. Now, we are trying to buy 12 tickets and they go fast!!!

• lbelle
    9 years ago

I just got a Hahn sink from Sam's. $249... just the sink, no parts... because I have a 33 in. cabinet and the size says 31 1/4. Well, it's 31 3/4 like it says on the Hahn website. The same 60/40 sink is on many websites for sale at that same length. Also, it is 18 gauge, and has a much more brushed finish than the Sturdier more expensive Blanco lustrous looking sink that I have gotten in the past. I was willing to go cheaper in this house to keep costs down, but the Hahn seems flimsy and light. But it does have a decent brushed finish if you like not keeping up with scratches, and does have the sound deading stuff on the bottom. I wonder if wieght of sink is a good predictor of substance in a sink?
    Couldn't find good info if the Hahn was a 300 series type stainless.

• ar3045
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We just moved in to our new house this past week. So far I am loving the sinks. Very solid 16 gauge sinks. Cost was not much higher than the Hahn sinks I saw originally. Cannot find anything wrong with the sinks. I have two (33 inch farm house sink and a 20 inch prep sink).

• Lorenza5064
    9 years ago

I am also considering the purchase of a single basin Hahn from Costco. Deciding between that and a C-TECH-I, LI2900R. The main difference between the two is the location of the drain. Centered in the c-tech, offset to the back in the Hahn. Pros/cons of the drain locations?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Lorenza5064:

I don't know anything about the Hahn, but C-Tech makes some of the finest sinks I've ever seen.

• lisepomeroy
    9 years ago

Love my Kraus 33" 60/40 nearly 0" radius, but so deep!!! If I had seen it in person, I don't know if I would have bought it. Also got it from Amazon in a couple of days (in Canada!!). I have never had a deep sink before, so it takes some getting used to. Easy to hide things in it! Difficult to install the faucet.

• Bita Kerendian_Partiyeli
    9 years ago

Talking about a warrantee, I got the farmhouse Franke from quality bath. The sink was bent when we opened the box. There was no sign of damage on the box whatsoever leading me to believe I was scammed into buying a second. I followed all their protocol and they refuse to replace it. The best they can offer is $150 discount on a $1600 sink (retail $3000). I rather have that returned and buy the sink from Costco as Costco has never failed me.

• Katie Callister
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I was reading up on the Hahn sinks at Costco. It looks like Hahn is a split off, from a company that has been in the handmade sink business for over 40 years. They decided that they could do more direct sales, and save the consumers alot of money. From what I read, it looks good, (but I have not seen in person and do not know). If Costco has them, I know they do their homework, and always stand behind their products! I am still trying to learn more and decide about our new kitchen sink for our upcoming kitchen remodel also! Good luck!

• lenarufus
    7 years ago

Lisepomeroy, in what way was the faucet difficult to install? We have a 31 inch Kraus that a stainless steel fabricator is welding into a stainless bench top. I've bought a KWC tap ... Why was your tap a problem?

ps we got ours in a couple of days too - in Australia!

• bubblyjock
    7 years ago

Katie Callister - hopefully you're still following this discussion. Where did you find out about Hahn? I was googling them (also interested in the 36" apron fronted version they've got at Costco) and couldn't find out much. I find Costco awesome to deal with, so may order it just for a look, and return it if it isn't up to much.

• bubblyjock
    7 years ago

Did a bit more googling, and Hahn do have a contact #, very front and centre on their website - 1-855-411-HAHN

https://www.shophahn.com/

The Hahn apron sink at Costco for reference: http://www.costco.ca/Hahn-Chef-Series-Handmade-Extra-Large-Single-Bowl-Notched-Farmhouse-Sink.product.100300395.html

• Katie Callister
    7 years ago

bubblyjock- Still following. Here is a link to one of the Hahn sinks on the Costco site. I just clicked on their "things", the pluses and star, etc. That is where I found some of the info. on Hahn. I also did some digging with our friend, Google. When you go to the specific sinkson the Costco site, not the list, there are some reviews. If you learn anymore, please share! I am also still in the hunt! Good luck!

http://www.costco.com/Hahn®-Chef-Series-Handmade-Medium-Single-Farmhouse-Sink.product.100129686.html

• Katie Callister
    7 years ago

Also, it was mentioned that there is no 800 number for Hahn. Yes there is, one just needs to go to the bottom of the page. See below for the link. And the sinks are 16 gauge, Type 304. I guess no one will know unless they see it, and we all know how supportive Costco is. If you don't like it, return it.

HAHN® LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY Our HAHN Sink Warranty is simple with no surprises — Our products are covered for as long as your own your home. The toughest decision you have to make is choosing which HAHN sink to install. HAHN® CUSTOMER SUPPORT Direct, personal contact with our customers is important to us. Our dedicated service technicians are here to assist with any of your needs — from product and warranty information to installation tips to replacement parts. Give us a call at (866) 803-9416.

• rads1
    7 years ago

Did anyone end up buying a Hahn sink? I am considering the copper farmhouse sink from Costco and hoping to get some feedback. http://www.costco.com/Hahn®-Copper-Single-Bowl-Farmhouse-Sink.product.100171821.html

• Rebecca
    7 years ago

I bought a Hahn copper sink from Costco four or five months ago. It was the third of the price of any other I could find and I know Costco is a terrific company for standing behind their product. It's the star of my new kitchen and I love it ... so does everybody else who comes in here. It ships with a free strainer basket that is unfortunately only compatible with a garbage disposal which I don't have. Customer service at the Hahn line were very good but there was no other basket available. I ended up ordering one off Amazon. I would recommend it to anyone. Having said that I guess I should go online and leave a review!

• rads1
    7 years ago

Thanks for you feedback Rebecca. Did you buy the copper farmhouse sink? I love Costco and usually don't hesitate to make a purchase from them. But once the sink is in the granite it would be difficult to make a change.

• Rebecca
    7 years ago

Yes I thought the copper farmhouse sink, single bowl. It's huge and very handy. You're right about the hassle of bringing it back I suppose… but at this price I could afford to replace it once or twice even. don't think I'll have to , I'm very happy with it so far.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

"But once the sink is in the granite it would be difficult to make a change."

Not if a sink is installed with a Hercules Universal Sink Harness or a Sink Strap or two.

• pdxpeople
    6 years ago

Check out "Just Manufacturing". They use US produced stainless steel and the sinks are made here as well. Their "Armor" residential line is 16 gauge and really great prices. Not much is known about them in the residential forums as they primarily do commercial and industrial sinks. Probably why their prices are so low until they become trendy with the home buyers.

• Amy H.
    6 years ago

I just had a new sink installed- the counter people told me it would be an Artisan sink 16 gauge stainless. However it says Frigidaire on it. The counter people say it is still made by Artisan. The sink was installed on Tuesday and the workers finished yesterday. This is my new sink today (I did not wash any heavy pots or anything that I can think of to ruin it).

So frustrated - chose stainless for supposed better durability the Cast iron or porcelain.

• Rebecca
    6 years ago

Frustrated is an understatement! I would have your cabinet contractor remove and replace. My copper sink takes a beating and still looks wonderful. It's hammered so if there are scratches, they don't show. Still, your stainless shouldn't either!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Amy, that looks like smeared silicone fingerprints to me. Hit it with some acetone, please.

• barnaclebob
    6 years ago

Are you upset about the scratches or the sink itself? The scratches will be the first of many.