Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

Steam mops ion hardwoods?

phoggie
11 years ago

I am wondering if you have used steam mops on hardwood floors..are they safe for them and do they work as great as the ads say they do?

Comments (11)

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

Hi phoggie.

I think that may depend on if they are site-finished or pre-finished and even then I'd be leary. If they are pre-finished I would absolutely NOT use it for sure. The steam will get between the boards. If they are site-finished then I *think* the wood would be better protected and could handle very occasional use of it as there are no seams for the steam to penetrate but I'm not an expert.

I have a steam mop and use it on my tile only. Our wood floors are oil rubbed finish so no poly at all and there is no way I'd use it on there.

Just my 2 cents.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I think you will get different opinions on this for sure. I have used my steam mop a few times on my old and new hardwood. I actually don't think it cleans my hw that well. I'm going to get Bruce hardwood floor cleaner to use.

I have a friend who has beautiful pre-finished hw floors and uses a steam mop regularly for many years with no ill effects. I also think it can cause damage.

Proceed with caution.

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

The guy who did our HW, said not to use them.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

NO! No steam on wood of any kind.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

NO! No steam on wood of any kind.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

I do it occasionally and never had a problem. The floor feels great afterwards. The Haan I have said safe for hw floors. Ours our oak that were finished on site.

• laughablemoments
    11 years ago

My dear dad brought his over to try on our wood floors floors. It ruined the finish. : ( What an awful, sinking feeling for us both. We didn't realize it until almost the whole kitchen was done. We spent days doing an oil poly about 2 years before. It no longer gleams, it just looks icky.

He's used the steam mop on his wood stairs that he polyed with no problems, so he never dreamed that it would damage our floors. He thought he'd bring it out and try it here, thinking a steam mop would be a real blessing to our household, and wanted to give me a chance to test drive one before buying.

I'm not buying one.

• lindabiddle
    11 years ago

What about travertine floors? Has anyone used a steam cleaner on those or is it a big no-no? If you do use one on stone floors, what brand do you use?

TIA Linda

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Our flooring store guys had heart attacks, but we use our steamer weekly on our aluminum oxide prefinished floors and they look great after. After their response and the comments here, I will rethink, but so far, 5 yrs without problem.

• drewem
    11 years ago

I use my stem mop on the hardwood. After the wood is dry, I use the hw floor cleaner/polisher. Spray it on, and wipe with paper towel. I don't think it has affected the floor. I don't do it very often though.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

We use our steam mop on the low setting and always keep it moving quickly. Never stop to scrub long in one spot or keep it in one spot very long. The steam dries literally in seconds. We have 5/16" Brazilian Timborana pre-finished engineered hardwood floors by Indusparquet (formerly branded as BR-111) with a urethane & aluminum oxide finish. The floors look fantastic and it is SO much easier to clean with the steam mop.

That being said, most mfgs do not recommend using a steam mop on hardwoods. They have to account for all usages, including people who may let the steam mop sit in one spot and just steam away. See the below recommendations that I found online ...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.atyourdooronline.com/Steam%20and%20Swiffer%20Cleaners.pdf