Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyladi

Oil rubbed bronze appliances?

Happyladi
16 years ago

Jenn Aire has come out with oil rubbed bronze appliances for the kitchen. I think they look very nice, warmer then stainless. They have stainless handles. Maybe it will be the next thing!

Has anyone seen them? What do you think?

Comments (15)

• creekylis
    16 years ago

oooooh..... I don't know..... sounds lovely for the moment, but not very timeless. could be the next "harvest gold". JMHO.

• marthavila
    16 years ago

oooooh. . . I don't know either! But, on the website, they sure look pretty darn handsome! Nice, warm contrast to the coolness of stainless steel.

• janwad
    16 years ago

I saw them on TV. I'm old enough that all I could do is laugh.

Not Coppertone again!! What's next, Avocado and Gold? Aqua and Pink?

OK, they aren't THAT ugly, but it was deja vu.

• marthavila
    16 years ago

Hey janwad, I'm old enough to remember all those colors too! :) But again, while I only have a website reference to go on, I just don't get that this color is some kind of retro tacky. Of course, as with all things, to each his or her own. In any case, bronze colored appliances won't be mine (at least not this time around!)

• spinmom
    16 years ago

When I was picking out appliances I thought that they sounded great. The closest store to us carrying the suite was an Expo 2 hrs away. So we checked it out; I felt that it was too brown for what I was hoping for.

• Happyladi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They do slightly remind me of the old coppertone. I actually liked coppertone appliances, though. I thought they looked nice. Of course, they are dated now. I never liked harvest gold or avocado.

So what do you think will be the hot appliance color 10 years from now?

• lightlystarched
    16 years ago

I don't like the "feel" of them. They have a rough, matte surface, not smooth. They feel like they have grunge on them.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I think it would be too much for a bigger appliance but I do LOVE the Cusinart ORB coffee maker. If it goes out of style you're not out as much as a big appliance! LOL!

I thought this was just spectacular and would have bought it if it came in the regular drip version and not the Grind and Brew. (the noisy one)

• auburnfan
    16 years ago

There was another thread about these a while back, but I'm too lazy to go find it.

Anyway, I saw them at an appliance store, and I didn't really like them that much even though I'm a big fan of ORB. They sort of looked like SS that someone dry brushed brown paint on. Just for fun, I asked how much they were. The appliance salesman said "you don't want to know". I was buying the exact same refrigerator in SS, so the upcharge on the finish must have been huge. I saw the fridge in another store, too. Neither store had sold a single item in that finish.

I do like that coffee maker, though!

• sholt576
    16 years ago

I saw them at expo and thought they looked nicer than I expected. The finish does not look smooth, but that doesn't bother me. And, I'm really into browns right now, so that influences how I felt about them. Sure, it may grow tiresome, but then, a big expanse of stainless fridge may also grow tiresome.

My mom just replaced her avocado fridge last year- thankfully these days they don't make appliances that last 40 years.

• brosamj
    16 years ago

I don't much care for the look. I like ORB on light fixtures, even small appliances (like the one pictured above), but on a fridge or oven, it just looks off to me. I don't really get a sense of 'warm' to me, I get a feeling of retro and not in a good sense.

• creekylis
    16 years ago

I'm thinking the reason these look weird to some of us is maybe because traditionally "bronze" is heavy and thick... no? Since the surface of appliances are known to be thin, it just looks fake to me I guess... just brown. Anyway, if they were priced the same as others... then maybe.

I did see in some other thread here once someone mentioned that they were sticking with white appliances because they have always been "in". That was a good point, I think.

• chapnc
    16 years ago

Creekylis, my thoughts exactly!

When you see ORB light fixtures, faucets, or cabinet knobs, you can easily imagine that they are actually made of bronze, a heavy and thick metal.

But when you see a refridgerator door in ORB, you know that it can't be "real" bronze, it must be fake. It would just look out of place. I'm not buying it.

• susiqlovesyou
    14 years ago

I personally love them! I saw them on a special last summer on HGTV, and am currently obsessed. I love the way they give off warmth to a room. SS is just too cold, and dead to a kitchen. Plus, and this is my favorite feature, NO FINGERPRINTS!! I hate the fingerprints on SS. It makes my kitchen look dirty! So when we do our house in a couple of years, i'm doing all oil-rubbed bronze. I just love it!

• cyndigirl64_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I purchased the fridge, dishwasher, gas oven/range, microwave, wall oven, & warming drawer and they are beautiful and I looove them! I got a rebate on them and found they were the least expensive at a local appliance store rather than Sears. I'm an interior designer. My home is 18 years old. I have light maple kitchen cupboards that have a pinkish/peachish tint and they just look great as well as function well.