Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mismatching Cabinet Wood

Posted by wobbly1905 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 20:44

We are on day 90 of our kitchen remodel. It's about 13"x15", so it's understandable that with such a huge kitchen that progress has been slow.
This is the kitchen with the granite tile fiasco which I have posted about. The contractor finally put a finished panel on the island. Instead of building the island so that there was no exposed particle board, his solution is to stick on 1/4" thick corner trim. Looks bizarre, but we have the granite slab folks coming on Monday and they need the island cabinet to be put together. Our complaint (and we have done nothing but complain, according to the contractor) is that the corner
trim he put on is a terrible match for the rest of island.
What think you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mismatching Cabinet Wood

Is it even the same species??

Don't feel bad abt day 90 - we're on something like day 170 and the walls aren't even finished yet . . .

o

Yes, it's supposed to be clear vertical grain fir.
I'll bet that your project is DIY .

o

Nope. Have a contractor doing the work - just been very involved -- all unplanned - the dishwasher leaked - had to demo to dry it out. 4 layers of flooring, excavated driveway/foundation poured additional foundation where there wasn't as much as expected - jacked up house to replace rim joists, reframed all walls, insulation, new
Electrical, plumbing, plaster walls. You get the idea.

o

You are right. The corner trim looks like pine. I would make him buy the same wood species the side panel is made of. That add on is simple to replace and do right. And no big deal to find the right wood. Actually, I'm not fond of those trims, they always look like after thoughts to me.

o

The trim looks like fir. Problem is it is solid wood while panel is veneer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here