Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecsmom

Guess it's time to share my finished kitchen

ControlfreakECS
11 years ago

With a special shout out to LavenderLass who was really the one that convinced me to completely flip my space, but thanks to everyone here for all the wonderful ideas and information. I didn't contribute often, but got some good feedback on layout and read regularly to try and learn as much as possible in how to create the best possible kitchen for me and my family.

Details:

Custom QS Oak cabinets in custom stain
Hirsch Glass tile backsplash
Samsung Fridge
Sharp MW Drawer
Danby Beverage Fridge
Same 5 y.o. Kenmore DW and range we had in old kitchen
XO Ventilation hood
Elkay faucets (both kitchen sinks and laundry sink)
Julian 30" stainless apron front sink
Hickory Hardware pulls

So, here we go:

Before, just for perspective. This looks into the direction of the new kitchen. Our dining table is now in this location

We added on a new family room. Used the former family room and dining area space for a new laundry/mud room and new kitchen, then moved the dining area to the old kitchen. Here's a general plan:

Here's a tour working counter clockwise starting with the fridge wall:

Sink wall - no window, and we don't miss it at all.

Range wall - see new family room to left

Prep sink/bar/peninsula area

Our GC built a custom mantel surround to match the cabs. Matte black tile is from Sonoma, with more Hirsch glass tile to tie into kitchen

Overall view from family room

The new laundry/mud room - sorry this is the only pic I took, and it is in use constantly, so I'm probably never going to take more!

Comments (46)

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Oh my, what fun to see your fabulous kitchen! Love the vertical and horizontal backsplash, your lovely warm cabinets, fireplace and mantel. WOW. Now need to go back and admire again :)

• crl_
    11 years ago

Lovely transformation! Thank you for sharing.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Really nice! What a dramatic difference. You must think you moved into a new house. Love the red tile in the laundry. What is on the side of the refrigerator in the view from the family room photo?

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

That is absolutely fabulous! I really love many things about it. Enjoy your kitchen for many years to come!

• theultimatebikerchic
    11 years ago

Beautiful, especially the cabinets!

• sixtyohno
    11 years ago

Love the colors. What a change. Enjoy!

• jaynees
    11 years ago

I agree with the others - the cabinets are amazing! I'm also a huge fan of the red subway tile in the laundry room. But I think my favorite is the wood bar between the kitchen and family room! That is gorgeous!

• taggie
    11 years ago

Absolutely lovely!! What a transformation, hard to believe it's even the same house ... flipping the rooms was a great choice. Your cabinets are spectacular, the star of the kitchen. Love the flooring and countertops as well. What are countertop materials, both on the standard runs and the wood bar top?

Great kitchen. Many it bring you and your family many years of joy.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Wonderful transformation! That Lavender is good at seeing different layouts, isn't she? The cabs are beautiful and the glass tile looks great with the cabs. Have you used your prep sink yet? What size is it? Love the red tile in the laundry, also. Really nice, enjoy!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Oh, that's lovely! Those cabinets are fantastic! I was very surprised at how such a bright backsplash really looked more subtle than I expected, the variation is nice, but it kind of blends into a nice cohesive whole. Not sure that makes sense, but that red really works beautifully for you!

• enduring
    11 years ago

This is great. I really find the wood countered bar so appealing. I like how you ran the tile behind the stove vertical. The laundry room is such a nice combo of red and yellow. Have a wonderful time in your new space!

• janetraz
    11 years ago

Wow! gorgeous! I especially like the blacksplash. Really unique and beautiful.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Wow - Your new kitchen is wonderful!
    I love those pendants and they go beautifully with your backsplash.
    Love your creativity with your BS also.
    And you used my favorite pulls! - I almost switched to these but Badgergal convinced me to hold my course and keep the sails up.

What is on the end of the fridge?
    Also is your wall color?

Thanks!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Oh, that is just great. I love the cabs and the backsplash!

• ControlfreakECS
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! Silly, now, but I was a little nervous. I know it isn't the typical GW kitchen, but it suits us perfectly. To answer questions.
    Can't believe I forgot to say what the counter is, it is leathered black pearl granite. I went into the remodel set on soapstone, but DH was put off by the price. Then, we visited someone else's home and he absolutely hated their soapstone. He noticed every ding and dent. I was devastated, but we found this and compromised. It saved us money and gives us the look we wanted. I am quite happy with them.

The end of my fridge has something that comes directly from GW. Thanks for the idea LAXSupermom!

The sink is 16" diameter. It works great and fits perfectly in the corner. I wouldn't want it any smaller, but at the same time I have found it big enough to hold my colanders and wash produce nicely.

The wood bar is one of my favorite things also. It is oak (not QS) stained to match the rest of the wood.

The laundry room colors are for my husband. The maroon tiles are from Sonoma and the paint is BM orange appeal . . . . he's a VT Hokie. :)

I should also mention that we decided to get the Korner King for our lazy susan. We really like how organized it is. Granted, the construction means that you may not get as much actual sq. in. in flat space to put things, but it is easy to use and get into. You do have to be careful with installation so the drawers don't bump your hinges and my apron front sink almost got in the way. Here's a couple shots.

• ControlfreakECS
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The walls in the kitchen/dining/family room space are BM Harbour Town

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Oh I wish I had somewhere to put that book rack!

• Seekpeace64
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the apron sink and the red brick in the mud room. What a great space.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Gorgeous gorgeous kitchen! The transformation is amazing! I love everything you've done. Love the leathered granite in lieu of soapstone. Great choices!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Beautiful cabs, and your backsplash adds just enough pop to look lively, yet not busy. Enjoy!!!

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! What a great job! It looks so great, function, inviting and warm! Love your laundry room too :-) Enjoy.

• camphappy
    11 years ago

Love the cabinets and use of space. What a wonderful kitchen to enjoy for the Holidays.

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

I love your kitchen. It has some unique properties to it that make it really stand out! And your GC did a great job integrating the fireplace with the cabinets. Perfection.
    Diane

• roof35
    11 years ago

Very nice! I have to ask, where did you get the plan for the cookbook storage? Or, is there a plan?

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Just lovely, especially the BS and the cabs. Congratulations!

• ControlfreakECS
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Roof, there was no plan for the cookbook storage. I handed a picture of what LAXSupermom had done on the side panel of her fridge and let my cabinet designer go to it. I was nervous about that, because until it was in, I had no idea how it would look. He said it was his favorite thing in the kitchen, because otherwise you just have this big bland side panel. There wasn't the depth for anything else, I had 4" to fill there, and I needed cookbook storage, so when I saw LAX's kitchen, I knew it was the perfect solution.

Here is her finished kitchen thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: laxsupermom's finished kitchen

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous and I adore your bar countertop. Such a dramatic and well thought out difference from your original. Do you have a photo of the dining area? I'd love to see that too. Yay Lavenderlass, the flip was a great idea.

• roof35
    11 years ago

Thank you for the link & insight. Looks like I have a project to get on, after winter. Didn't give it much thought, until _after_ I finished up a couple weeks ago.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Love, love, love,..... the backsplash with your cabinets and your pendant lights are such a great complement to the backsplash. Just perfect. And the cookback rack is so neat because, when filled with cookbooks, it adds colour, texture and personality. Your space is perfect GW Kitchen.

• jentrex
    11 years ago

Everything is so nice. The cabinets are stunning!

• ControlfreakECS
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again, everyone.

Roof, LAX's kitchen was a complete DIY project. You may want to see if her account is set up to accept emails, or you may want to put her name in the title of a new thread to see if she can assist you with the design. Mine is exactly 4" deep, the shelves are 14" apart. Then he added 2 rails to keep the books in place. If I could change anything, I would probably only do one rail an inch or 2 lower than the 7.5" my top rail is placed below the shelf above it. It is hard to get some larger books in and out. Honestly, I don't know a thing about woodworking, but it doesn't seem like it would be a complicated design for someone that does.

Good luck!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Lovely, absolutely lovely. The stain and backsplash are perfect. You certainly have the counter space! The cookbook rack is unique. Wish I had see that before my kitchen was complete. Love your floor!

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

So pretty! Love your backsplash and that book rack. I am also wondering how you like your Elkay faucets. I am considering the LK6000 but have not found any reviews on it, or other Elkay faucets in general.

Thanks!

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Really beautiful! You did a great job! That is the perfect BS for your kitchen. Love everything about it! Congratulations!

• ControlfreakECS
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BlackChamois, thanks for mentioning the faucet! I absolutely LOVE my faucets. It functions exactly as I had hoped. I love the way it reaches every corner of my sink and can stay in a position after I let it go. A quick turn of the nozzle to go from stream to spray is actually even easier to use than I anticipated. We had them install the alternate higher flow regulator, and the 2.2 gpm is more that adequate. It certainly doesn't feel like less water pressure than I have ever had before. The brass construction is really solid and heavy, much more so than other faucets we looked at of similar price range. And, for the quality of faucet, the price was extremely reasonable, for as you probably already know, Elkay is selling this as a "laundry faucet." We are function over form types of people, and chose this faucet for it's function. However, I actually really like the way it looks in our space as well.

• Linda
    11 years ago

Wonderful! And so many special features! Enjoy!!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

It looks great! You have done some very interesting neat things. Love it.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Fantastic job. Congratulations! Your backsplash is really different and goes so well in your space. The color choice is refreshing. I like how the gold color in the adjacent laundry room(?) plays off the b.s. It is a warm, functional and comfortable kitchen.

Did I miss what material your countertops are???

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Fabulous!!! I have laundry room envy by the way - love that space too. Congratulations :-)

• Mags438
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. Nice rice cooker also, we have same one. ;)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

"typical GW kitchen".
    Frankly, that's the last thing I'd want is "typical".

You've made a completely gorgeous, new space out of something ... "typical"!

Great job. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as your enthusiasm brings. Such a great space!

• GenerosiTea
    11 years ago

that's sooo nice. def love that bookcase on the end and the two sinks.

btw, how are you liking the rice cooker in the lazy susan? is it a pain to drag it out everytime you want to use it? we use it couple times and i'm trying to figure out where to place it w/ limited space of a smaller kitchen.

• swickbb
    11 years ago

The cabinets are wonderful! I had to do a double take while looking at your pics and then looking at my own cabinets. Great taste :-) Enjoy enjoy enjoy!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Don't know how I've missed this! Wonderful, and I LOVE your creative use of red!

The cookbook rack is amazing.

• ControlfreakECS
    Original Author
    11 years ago

GenerosiTea - We use our rice cooker about twice a week. It doesn't bother me at all to get it out of the corner, but the KornerKing with it's corner drawer design makes it even easier.

Here is a link that might be useful: videos of KornerKing in use

• Scrappygal
    9 years ago

That corner drawer is really awesome and I love the color of the cabinets- our floor will be light to match our adjoining living room an dining room as well, so it's helpful to see the cabinets with it.