Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phillyfeet_gw

Looking for layout help, please

phillyfeet
10 years ago

Last month I posted a sketch of our kitchen and the architect's proposed reno. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg111254299858.html
I got some good advice and since then, after a lot of research, i now have 2 layouts that i am considering. Neither is perfect, but i can see the pros and cons to both. I am leaning towards the first, but would like to get some opinions. I still don't know how to post more than one file per post.
Layout #1

Comments (7)

• phillyfeet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

layout # 2

• Roberta.Madison
    10 years ago

Hi phillyfeet!

I see what you mean. The second layout makes the fridge more accessible from the entrance (which is the one on the lower right, if am not mistaken?). But the first layout is a lot more streamlined. When you're making a meal, it lets you move from the fridge to the prep sink to the oven, in a neat progression. So, I vote for the first layout too.

• phillyfeet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Roberta.
    The fridge, stove prep sink is exactly why i like the first layout. There are a lot of entrances to my kitchen - the lower right leads to bedroom hallway, top right family room addition, left side is close to dining room addition, mudroom. So with the fridge there, it is close to the eating areas and the prep island. I thought by putting fridge drawers close to the family room, that could be a snack area for drinks and fruit.
    Still working on best place for warming drawer - maybe next to range instead of peninsula (or island where i originally thought i wanted it). Also, dish storage isn't ideal if i want them in uppers instead of drawers, but that is why i moved the D/W to the left of clean up sink - straight line to back wall instead of walking around the island.

• phillyfeet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wondering if anyone else has any ideas, cause i am driving myself crazy. So many thoughts keep running through my head like -
    1. move clean up sink to right wall so dishes and glassware will be close to DW
    2. leave sink where it is, remove peninsula, lengthen island and have seating on other side of sink (where it states raised counter). Could get more seating here, but all in a row.
    3. change opening to family room from right to left of sink - but with opening to the right,it would be the main thorough fare to bedrooms which does seem better

i know i had other ideas, but everything is a jumble right now. this is waking me up at night. I need to have this figured out so i can get contractor bids, but i'm a mess!

Thanks for letting me vent!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'd move the microwave closer to the fridge.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I 2nd moving the microwave next to the fridge. Think about how much stuff comes right out of the fridge and freezer and goes directly into the mw. In my house that happens alot. Unfortunately my mw and fridge are not that close.

• phillyfeet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the suggestions.
    I had been thinking about moving the micro closer to eating area. I do use it for some cooking too - quick steaming veggies when i'm in a hurry, so i didn't want it far from the main cooking zone. In my current kitchen, one wall has micro, pantry, fridge right next to each other. Everything gets transferred to the island on its way to the next destination. I was thinking that would probably be how it goes with the new kitchen too - the island would be a catch all. (kind of like a train platform, i guess!)
    Now, how to rework that microwave location......

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz