Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Did I just uncover asbestos glue??

Posted by jshbrkr (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 20:31

Hey there, new to the forum and homeownership. Ive been remodeling the house I just bought that was built in the 1930s. I am scraping off all of the layers of wall paper in the bathroom and started scraping off this red chalky glue. I didn't think anything of it & then it dawned on me that this may be asbestos glue. I know that old asbestos glue can sometimes be red.

Has anyone heard of this? Did they use to use asbestos glue for wallpaper? Should I seal off my bathroom and get an inspector in here? haha thanks for the advise!

This post was edited by jshbrkr on Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 20:35

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Did I just uncover asbestos glue??

I did a quick search on line and it seems unlikely. There could be asbestos in some vinyl wall papers, but if it is in the adhesive, which it may not be, the risk would be low. You can get it tested to be on the safe side though.

o

The asbestos impregnated adhesive us known as "cutback" and is seldom, if ever used for wallpaper.

o

Could it be that you are looking at red wall paint?

o

I have removed a lot of wallpaper from some old and very old houses. Ithink that the red stuff you are showing isn't the glue. It is the paper from the back of the old wallpaper which is practically disintegrated and is sitting of the glue.

o

I have removed a lot of wallpaper from some old and very old houses. Ithink that the red stuff you are showing isn't the glue. It is the paper from the back of the old wallpaper which is practically disintegrated and is sitting of the glue.

o

I think you have uncovered the liner paper that was under the first layer of patterned wallpaper. It was often not acid free and over the years turns a brownish reddish "old paper" color.

Wallpaper was usually installed with wheat paste until vinyl glues were developed.

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here