Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseykees

Tile Sticker Shock

caseykees
9 years ago

So, my low budget refresh is going to take quite a hit, because I can't find inexpensive tile that I like or goes in my kitchen. :( Nothing at Big Orange or Big Blue does it for me. Stopped at a tile shop today and looked at Sonoma tile in person.....

Comments (34)

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

What style are you looking for?

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Subway tiles in a blue, grey or bluish grey. I need around 30 sf. and would prefer ceramic/porcelain to glass. I have looked at fireclay, but they have a 25 sf minimum or $100 upcharge. I would like to do a small design of some kind using more than one color. I have something in mind. I'm going to sketch it out, and take it back to the tile store after the holidays. I just HAVE to find a way to get Sonoma Tantrum on my walls....even if it's just one piece. LOL

• Liz
    9 years ago

What kind of finish do you like? Crackle, matte, etc?

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

probably gloss. it appears that it's cheaper than crackle or matte. at least it appears that way at fireclay.

• Liz
    9 years ago

I'm shopping for the same, so let me know if you find anything promising! I feel like I have been looking forever. My frontrunner is fireclay oyster shell, but I love foggy morning best of all. Jeffrey court's riverwash is very similar, but still too pricey for my budget I think. (I'm trying really hard to stay under $15/sf or so)

Tile Daily has a nice grey crackle if dark gray is OK. (Order online)

My tile store has these, and they are very nice. And well priced. http://www.specialtytile.com/tile/senio-newport

Lowes Allen & Roth pearl is really nice. And only $4/sf. HD's Glossy Gris by Merola is a shade lighter, and lovely. Though it is hexagons, not subway. Did you rule these out?

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Emser Cape Cod. Around $14 a square. Both blue and green crackle available.
    {{gwi:2142716}}
    {{gwi:2142717}}

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hollysprings, I love that Emser Cape Cod in the blue, but can't find anywhere near me to buy it. I also can't find where to buy online! I was searching thru some posts earlier this week on tile and came across it.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should also note, my upper cabinets are painted BM Chantilly Lace and my lowers are BM Wrought Iron. My walls are BM Sweet Innocence.

My counter is Wilsonart Italian White di Pesco, which is white/gray/brown. the brown undertones stick out in my kitchen. the Chantilly lace is a white/white in my kitchen lighting.

I am not completely opposed to spending 12-15 hundred on tile...but I would so prefer not too. But I am looking for it to be a feature so I would like it to be pretty with some color. If that makes sense.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Any real flooring store can order it for you. Do you have a ProSource anywhere close to you? That's where I got it. The best places to buy are not online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Find a showroom

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

HD and Lowes offer tile on their websites that are not available in the stores. I found a subway I liked at a local tile shop but it was pricy. I found the same exact tile on HDs website for much less.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

What's your price range? I have Sonoma Tile crackle that comes in a lot of colors. Three years ago it was $12/sq.ft.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I can't resist showing you a closeup of the Cape Cod in blue since you like it. We've gotten a LOT of compliments on it, and sold a ton of it---usually in cream. But, a few braver folks have opted for the colors!

{{gwi:2142718}}

[Emser Cape Cod Tiles with Schluter Edge[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-wall-and-floor-tile-prbr1-br~t_600~s_2107) by Memphis Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Check out Grazia's lines.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Daltile Rittenhouse Square has a number of shades of gray and a couple (probably too saturated) blues, and it is not expensive.

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

Mosaic Tile Supplies have very reasonable prices:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Tile Supplies

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

live_wire_oak, it was one of your older posts that I saw that tile!!! I love it!

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have to say, I would prefer to stay under $15 a square foot I guess, but it is not a deal breaker. This is the last element that needs to be purchased for my kitchen. I just didn't realize it would be the most expensive. I thought it would be my counters...even if they are just laminate. LOL

When I was at the tile store, I asked her to show me subway tile that was less expensive than the Sonoma and it just wasn't as pretty.

We do have a ProSource here. I have never heard of that. Perhaps I will go there. They are not part of that thing where you have to buy a membership are they?

• boops2012
    9 years ago

Do you have a Floor and Decor store nearby? I liked the variety and the price of what they had available in store. They do have a website. I got my white Moroccan tile there for under $4 per sq. ft. I think that's a win win .

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will check Boops. One thing I love about this forum is that I am finding stores around here that I didn't even know about. I just found a Best Tile in my area. Never heard of it before. May go there tomorrow! LOL

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2142719}}
    $14 a square

Lowes can special order several tiles. Not all of them are on the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sollistone Blue subway tile at Lowes

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Definitely talk to the special order desks for Lowes and Home Depot

They can order almost anything

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will check out lowes and hd. I also am going to another tile store today, for which I have a 10% coupon for signing up for emails.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going to go with the Sonoma Tile. I can get what I need for just under $1000 with shipping. That includes 4 sheets of Tantrum. LOL I just love that tile!! I'm thinking of this. Is it too blah? I'm not good at picking out colors. Tile will be 3 x 6 subway in a matte finish I was thinking 3 rows, then 2 rows of 1x1 in the tantrum, then rest in the other color?? I'm not very creative. LOL

Colors are Sousa and Moonstone Stellar Matte and Tortola and Waterfall 1 x 1 in Tantrum

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by caseykees on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 13:35

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Something like this??

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

that looks nice! I love your counters!

I can't have/don't want white tile. Otherwise, I'd go to Lowes, buy them for $.19 and be done with it! LOL It is bad enough I painted my upper cabs white again!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

cmm1, that looks gorgeous!

caseykees, I love that combination you are thinking of, it looks great. Hombre tile! The colors are beautiful and will look amazing with your white cabinets. Can't wait to see it!

• szruns
    9 years ago

Have you seen this one? It is at home depot for 8.99/sf. I bought a box (foot) of it to see it in person, and it is lovely. Simple, not as intensely crackled as some of the awesome Encore, etc, tiles, but it has a little something, and it is cheap and easy to order, etc.

I've settled on it after seeing it up close (looks nice with our cabinets and counters, etc), and I'll be ordering it any day now, as soon as I get my measurements figured out.

Dove Grey MS International 3x6 subway

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MS-International-Dove-Grey-3-in-x-6-in-Handcrafted-Glazed-Porcelain-Wall-Tile-1-sq-ft-case-PT-DG36/204688440

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Cmm1- your tile is gorgeous!!! I think thats the best pic of a Horus tile I've seen- it really captures the irregularity of the tile and you can see a bit of the crackle. So so pretty!

We are using Horus Broadway and it's been sitting on the floor for a month now. Cannot wait to get it on the walls! Counters go in Tuesday so it should be soon but not holding my breath with the holidays.

• cmm1
    9 years ago

Thank you viennamommy. It was your suggestion that I check out the horus art tile! I had a great installer too. The tile was affordable since the money tree had been shaken dry with the kitchen remodel!! Looking forward to your pictures.

As much as subway tile is recommended on this forum it is very hard to find in a local tile store. I live in FL and there is a tile shop on every corner.

• brightm
    9 years ago

cmm1 - Can I ask your granite? That's what I'm trying to get MIL to look at.

Sorry for the highjack caseykees, glad it looks like you found your tile.

• cmm1
    9 years ago

Cal quail

it is called aries wnite. It seems to be similar a bit to alaska white but has more brown in it. It has black, white, grey and different shades of brown. My tile installer told me the grey was actually glass but I don't know now that is possible. I am very pleased with it.

• cmm1
    9 years ago

It also has mica in it which gives it a bit of shine but not too over the top.