Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eire6678

Can you please review our kitchen layout?

eire6678
9 years ago

hi! We are using a local amish cabinet maker and need to supply him with the design. This is just the lower base cabinets, and Island.thanks!

Comments (24)

• aries61
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It would help if there was a picture.

• eire6678
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it would thank you. Dining area to left

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

What is at the top? I wouldn't out a refrigerator perpendicular to a door in such a nice-sized kitchen. I'd move the refrigerator and maybe even switch the sink to the wall that now has the range. But I'd need to know what's all around.

• eire6678
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for looking! Mudroom is at top ( where the door is) to the left , the kitchen is open to a dining area. At bottom w/ long wall, it should be a cased opening to family room ( my husband drew it wrong)

• szruns
    9 years ago

No, no, no to a fridge in the the traffic aisle from the door! I had that in between the dining/kitchen door, and it was HORRIBLE. Could the fridge tuck over in that 5'9" wall?

• bpath
    9 years ago

Thinking of Marcolo's layout mantra, ice-water-stone-fire, could you put the fridge where the stove is, and the stove to the right of the sink?

Can the mudroom door hinge on the right, instead of on the left?

• practigal
    9 years ago

I second bpathome move the fridge out of the hallway and put it one side of the sink and the stove on the other.

Your drawing is not to scale as you have the cabinets on either side of the 30" stove marked 51" and yet they look like they're about two feet wide on this drawing. Before going further I think you should make the drawing to scale.

• eire6678
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your input! We discussed putting the fridge on that 5 foot wall, but thought maybe the spreading out of the oven, sink, fridge might be too much. Do you think it would look strange put the fridge to the right of the sink, with a cabinet in between? I saw the set up on houzz and thought it was nice

• eire6678
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I kind of like the stoop on that wall, because with the hood it becomes a centerpiece wall. You are correct, the wall with the range is not to scale. The entire wall 11 feet, we subtracted 30 inches from the stove and divided the remaining length.

• eire6678
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I kind of like the stoop on that wall, because with the hood it becomes a centerpiece wall. You are correct, the wall with the range is not to scale. The entire wall 11 feet, we subtracted 30 inches from the stove and divided the remaining length.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I see your inspiration picture. The difference between your drawing and the picture is your drawing has a swinging door. The inspiration picture is a simple doorway with no swinging door. You need to move the fridge. Particularly if the doorway is a major passageway.

My suggestion is to give the group a drawing to scale of the space and the adjoining spaces. You may want to provide a drawing of the current space, too. Maybe you don't need to move the plumbing, maybe the heavy electrical can stay in the same place. We won't know without a drawing.

• eire6678
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Homechef59. Thank you, I will take a picture of the blueprints. Please disregard some of the placements by the architect. He put in a 40 inch stove.luckily this is a new build, so plumbing and electric are nonissue

• eire6678
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We plan on turning island to face stove. Also, losing the back door at bottom of photo. The architect place all,of the appliances... Not sold on their location

• sena01
    9 years ago

Layout on your first post, I'd move the mudroom door to the left, then have fridge and range on that wall and add a prep sink to the island.

After the corner, on the sink wall I'd move window a little towards the GR side and move DW to the other side of the sink. Maybe you can consider pantry cab(s) on the short wall.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I echo sena's suggestion to move the mudroom door to the left - that one move moves a major traffic path into your home out of your kitchen work zone - but I'd go one further.

I'd move the entry from garage into your home in the same direction as well. The current door's location is handy for anyone getting out of the driver's seat of the car parked on the garage side closest to the house but everyone else will have to walk up or down the side of a car and around the end of the car to get to the mudroom door. Placing it at the top makes it a more direct path, an L versus a U.

Do you need a door to your mudroom? If you have a door to the laundry and a door to the garage and the opening is lined up with that door, do you need a door here? If you want a door but it will remain open much of the time, at the very least, opt for a pocket door and not a swing door.

I would nix the pantry in the laundry room - move the mudroom closet to this location - and move pantry storage to the kitchen. I would find it beyond annoying to have to walk out of the kitchen, into the mudroom to get staples for dinner.

Are you dead set on the location of the fireplace or would be willing to place it on your wall of windows like these:

[{{gwi:2142707}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/porter-street-living-room-craftsman-living-room-dc-metro-phvw-vp~1294059)

[Craftsman Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/craftsman-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2116) by Alexandria Architects & Building Designers Moore Architects, PC

[{{gwi:2142708}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/living-room-hallway-mediterranean-living-room-minneapolis-phvw-vp~701682)

[Mediterranean Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mediterranean-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2109) by Edina General Contractors John Kraemer & Sons

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/anya-lane-contemporary-living-room-vancouver-phvw-vp~1556771)

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Victoria Architects & Building Designers Christopher Developments

[{{gwi:2142709}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/guida-residence-traditional-family-room-atlanta-phvw-vp~90180)

[Traditional Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2107) by Atlanta Architects & Building Designers Frederick + Frederick Architects

Focus on the lay-out and concept, not on the design.

I'm suggesting this change because, for the size of the home you're building, your kitchen seems undersized, IMO. One way to gain space in your kitchen is to remove the fireplace box from intruding into the space.

IMO, your DR is also undersized for your home, especially since this looks to be your only table seating and especially if you ever intend to seat more than 8 at the table (rec aisle between wall and table is 44"). I don't know how you intend to use the parlor but if possible, steal at least 2 ft from it for the DR.

Anyhoo, here are my rough suggestions drawn up but with the DR the same size as it currently is.

{{gwi:2142710}}

{{gwi:2142711}}

The thinnish wall areas between kitchen and GR are "windows" between the spaces.

• eire6678
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa, you are a dream! Let me pour over your pictures and get back to you. I am not dead set on the fireplace there, I actually talked about putting it on the outside wall. I also suggested moving that mudroom door to the left of the range. This way it will be closer to the laundry room,and in a direct line from the laundry chute. We tried to get the chute into the laundry room, but we couldn't get it to work.

• eire6678
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's probably hard for you to see but the fireplace is actually next to playroom. I also, discussed stealing space from the parlor.. Honestly it's just a room that will never get used.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

posting the architects drawing with things on it (or things of a different size) that won't be isn't a big help either.

Does the pic at 12:57 even give measurements? If it does, I can't see them - it is way to light.

• eire6678
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Desertsteph... If you have nothing helpful to say just ignore the post. Wast looking for exact measurements just placement. Lisa, you understood and were very thoughtful to take your time to give suggestions

• eire6678
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Desertsteph... If you have nothing helpful to say just ignore the post. Wast looking for exact measurements just placement. Lisa, you understood and were very thoughtful to take your time to give suggestions

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

You're very welcome, eire6678!

I think you may have misunderstood Desertsteph's post. She's a long time GWer who has given generously of her time and advice to others here. Big picture ideas only go so far; to really assess potential lay-out pros and cons so you can determine how useful the suggestions are to you, we need measurements. Desertsteph was simply pointing that out.

If you're fine with working out the finer details on your own, great! But honestly, this forum's members, which include a number of kitchen design professionals, can offer you so much great advice and experience that it seems a shame to not to take advantage of all that wealth of knowledge. I say that as someone who has learned so much here over the years. My kitchen will be the better for it (remodel to start in 2015, yay!).

Whatever you decide, I wish you well and great success with your building project!

• eire6678
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If that is the case than I am sincerely sorry to have taken the advice the wrong way! . I just have no idea how to go about providing a better image to work with. Lisa, I sent you an email. Is there a way to have a convo with one member & "pick their brain"?

• Liz
    9 years ago

My kitchen has a floor plan similar to the one you proposed at the start of this thread. It's not ideal. Absolutely move the mudroom door away from the kitchen, so that you don't need to stand in a major traffic path to use appliances.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Sorry for not responding sooner, eire667. We met with our cab designer this am and then were busy getting ready to welcome our oldest son home tomorrow for a visit (he moved away 9 mos ago). I'll check my email next.

We can talk via email but I encourage you to keep the layout discussion on the forum. One member's suggestion will spark another person's imagination that brings forth more ideas for you ... it's really rather amazing to watch the process unfold.

The other reason to keep it on the forum is that you hear from fellow members who've done something similar and either loved it or hated it and why (elizardbethday's post above is a prime example of that). That kind of knowledge is priceless and why this forum is such a valuable resource.

This post was edited by lisa_a on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 2:18