Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

Soapstone is here!! Pictures, pictures, pictures!

tinker_2006
12 years ago

We've been working around the clock restoring an old 1937 Florida home, and finally.. it really looks like we are getting somewhere!

Today the rest of our soapstone counters went in (still waiting on a rebuild for laundry room cabinets). I have to admit.. I was a little bit afraid if I'd love in MY house, even though I have always loved in every kitchen picture. I was afraid it would be too dark, but knew I could leave it unoiled (which I fully expected to do) but now that it is here, oiled... it surpasses all my hopes, it is absolutely gorgeous! DH was not sure AT ALL about soapstone, but left the decision up to me, thankfully! Still need to finish the floors, install hardware, lights and appliance... but here is my kitchen so far!

FL Joshua & assistant arrives with soapstone on truck.

From 2011-12-01

They measured and cut everything in the driveway! They started Monday, but the rain came pouring down, and the rest was delivered and installed this afternoon.

From 2011-12-01

I LOVE the Runnels, and would have never purchased soapstone or the runnels without GW - thank you all!

From 2011-12-01

Still missing our window seat - curtains are old, old, dusty rags.. just to have something in the windows as we renovate (we don't live in this house yet)

From 2011-12-01
From 2011-12-01
From 2011-12-01
From 2011-12-01
From 2011-12-01
From 2011-12-01
From 2011-12-01
From 2011-12-01
From 2011-12-01
From 2011-12-01

Comments (61)

• User
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Really beautiful ! I love the way the kitchen is coming along...I remember the before photos LOL. You are going to love it when it is done. c

• pam29011
    12 years ago

I love that soapstone! There is just enough veining without being distracting. It's perfect. I'd love to have that in my kitchen (if you ever tire of it, just ship it to Massachusetts).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

ahhhh what's not to love?!

beauteous

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I just LOVE the soapstone once it was installed! I love the black color (on my monitor) and the veins are just enough.

I LOVE the cabinet style and white color. Would you mind sharing?

I love the pendant light!

I love all your windows and natural light!

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

Absolutely lovely! I remember the day my soapstone came- it's a great feeling, isn't it?! Enjoy it-

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. How exciting! Can't wait for my own soapstone countertop ... got to visit my slabs the other day at the fabricator, but still waiting for the rest of the project to be ready before templating and installing it.
    Congrats on a lovely countertop and a very pretty kitchen!

• amela
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Wait, how about Gorgeous!

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

Thank you for the info!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Your kitchen suits the soapstone perfectly. Beautiful.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

PERFECT!! Just perfect! And how lucky are we living in Fla. that we have the opportunity to have Fla. Joshua do our install. It was the one thing I just trusted on and had no worries that he would make perfect.

• elba1
    12 years ago

Looks great so far!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you again everyone, it really made the kitchen feel complete! I found myself wondering away from my work, just so I could stare and admire it!

remodelfla, yes - having Joshua just 30 miles away.. is fantastic! He was the one contractor I had no worries about, and it was nice not having to go to to granite yard after granite yard looking for the perfect stone! I did however ge a little confused (easy for me - LOL) looking at the soapstone slabs, but Mimi helped and I'm so glad she did!

lynn, the soapstone is Barroca. FL Joshua carries mainly this variation, actually - 95% of his slabs are Barroca. He had a couple other kinds, but he favors this variety as it represents true soapstone in the feel and look. Cabinets are painted SW Alabaster White (crown molding is not painted - only primed)

• yellowdog2
    12 years ago

Simply dreamy! I love it.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

mmmm....so pretty! love soapstone, i live through all you GW's to fill my soapstone passion. thanks for sharing :)

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Oh it's PERFECT....

• nutherokie_gw
    12 years ago

Oh for Pete's sake. That is just so pretty it hurts!

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

Everything goes together so beautifully. Clearly you had a vision and it worked. Congratulations.

• Anthony
    12 years ago

Thank you for posting this. We have soapstone in our garage for counters and that exact Rohl Shaw sink. Looks wonderful.

You wouldn't by chance be anywhere near Virginia? I'm looking for an installer that can do cuts in the driveway and seam it on site. So far all the places around here just want to sell you the slab, pre cut it at the factory, and have their crew install.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Gorgeous soapstone and gorgeous kitchen! It looks so classic and yet up to date. I love the subtle detailing on the cabinetry. Thanks for sharing.

Also, I love that one of the soapstone workers is working in bare feet! It's only 20 F here this morning, so I'm certainly envious of your weather too.

• cosmo_nj
    12 years ago

Wow!

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

Second Wow! You must be so excited. Your kitchen is beyond gorgeous. I love your cabinets.

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!! Love it and everything else in your kitchen as well!! :)

• prill
    12 years ago

Oh, that looks perfect. Really like the look of your whole kitchen.
    The light over the sink and the faucet - wonderful.

• littlealexa
    12 years ago

LOVE IT!!! I don't know what I like more the cabinets, the soapstone, the faucet or the light fixture...can't wait to see more pix

• puppeez
    12 years ago

Oh I am sooo jealous :( of the FLA GWers who get to have FLA J do their SS installs. You are soooo lucky! It's beautiful!

• clooney161
    12 years ago

Absolutely stunning! Congrats! Looking forward to seeing the final product

I'm going to pick out my Soapstone slabs tomorrow, I hope I can find something like yours; they're perfect!

• mom2tykel
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Classic. Great job. Can't wait to see more.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I'm loving how it looks like your kitchen is going to suit your house perfectly. Its coming along so great

• fleur222
    12 years ago

How rewarding to take the chance and go with what you loved, even though it was new to you. It is stunning! :)

• eandhl
    12 years ago

I have come back a few times to look at your kitchen. Just plain beautiful as well as functional. Enjoy!!!

• jejvtr
    12 years ago

Tinker

Oooo, la, la -

You must be so pleased w/the transformation of your new home - thanks for sharing your progress

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

tinker - can you tell what kind of edge is on your soapstone. What's it called? Are you happy with the soapstone so far? I hope to be have mine in the works next week!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lake Girl, it's what FL Joshua called a eased edge, the very top is slightly rounded (ever so slight). We move in NEXT WEEK (still a lot to finish) but look wise, it is beautiful! I have it in our laundry room as well, and everyone feels it, and comments on it. I am a little nervous about the chipping and scratches.. so that will be determined, but either way, I'll need to learn to live with the patina!

• enduring
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is so nice. I love that pendant. The soft color on your walls is wonderful. And of course I love the soapstone! Your detail on the cabinets is very nice as well. Looking forward to hearing how it goes after you've moved in and lived there for a bit.

I would like to see pictures of your laundry room too. Or have you posted it in the Laundry forum?

GREAT JOB

You'er going to love your soapstone. I have been with mine for 6 months or so and the scratches don't even bother me. I have a softer variety for ease of installation, because we put our own in. I also got some remnents recently to use in the bath, just off the kitchen. I can't wait to have the money to start. My plan is to make my own sink, but I have to learn how to make rabbet joints first :)

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. Tinker. I go look at slabs next Friday (not the first time), but if there's something close to what I like, and the guy still honors his quote from last November, then I'm gettin' it! Last time he had Beleza, and I wasn't familiar with it. Then Christmas came, and the guy was out of the country... I was later regretting not getting it. Anyway, I'm so excited/nervous! Can you think of anything I need to ask him or let him know? I'm not sure how much soapstone experience he has. I know the edge is important, and I hope he "finishes" it properly....

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

just lovely -- you'll enjoy this space so much!
    Lynn

• kfhl
    12 years ago

What a great looking kitchen! I really love all of the details and look forward to seeing the final touches. Where did you get your cabinets? I must live nearby as FL Joshua is not far from me either.

• sloane529
    12 years ago

Beautiful tinker! Inspiring me as I plan to pick SS slabs next week! Considering the eased edge as well. Like the square vintage look but am worried aout that edge with small children and liked the eased over bullnose.

Love your faucet - what is it??

Congrats!

• hsw_sc
    12 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone! I'm sitting here taking a break from my packing .... we are FINALLY moving into our home! There is soooo much more to do, but the kitchen and laundry rooms just lack a little touch up paint & trim paint. I just LOVE the soapstone, and the laundry room... just love it in there too! I'll post more pictures soon, just need to settle in a bit and then... back to work on this old house!

sloan, the faucet is a Newpost Brass - "Fairfield". I did however, change the handles out so it is now the Chesterfield!

kfhl, I LOVE the cabinets and the company is awesome to work with. I ordered them (100% custom) from an Amish company in Sarasota (Miller's).

Whoa, this is exhausting moving, and it's going to be a hard move since a lot of the house still is being finished (painting). Moving truck arrives at 7:30 AM tommorrow morning so I'll be back soon!!!

• bklyn2pok
    12 years ago

Love the soapstone!

• kfhl
    12 years ago

Is that Miller's Dutch Haus Furniture on Bahia Vista? I live in Sarasota so I pass by their store all of the time.

• farmhousegirl
    12 years ago

Oh Tinker! This is exactly the kitchen I'm dreaming of. Which soapstone did you use? Are the cabs custom or manufactured? Love the Rohl and the faucet...and especially the little light about the sink! Awesome!! Congrats.

• nineteenoeight
    12 years ago

The soapstone is gorgeous, as is your kitchen!

• farmhousegirl
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen Tinker! Are the cabinets custom or are they are particular brand? Thx so much!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

still buried in boxes!

kfhl, yes.. Miller's - I worked with Lee, great guy!

farmhousegirl, we used Barroca, which FL Joshua sais id the "classic" soapstone and when he thinks of soapstone, it's Barroca! The cabinets are 100% custom, I love them!

• kfhl
    12 years ago

Thanks for your help. I have an appointment with Lee tomorrow!

• camsrq
    10 years ago

Hey Tinker, I am in Sarasota and will be installing soapstone from Creative also. ARe you still happy with your soapstone? I am about a mile away from Der Dutchman. I am using B&B Cabinets though on Cattlemen. ARe you happy with the shaker style cabinets? Might do a white with pewter glaze.... Thanks for any advice or comments you can share.

• cevamal
    10 years ago

I'd love a follow-up, too. We're looking at white cabinets with soapstone and I'd love to see pics with appliances!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! How have they held up Tinker???

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022