Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
painterly_gw

Granite contractor issue

painterly
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am at my wit's end here, and I hope you can help me. I have been looking for a reputable and reasonably priced granite place for a while now, and I finally found one that has an A- rating on the BBB, 22 years in business, and great reviews on multiple forums/sites. They also have very reasonable prices and a HUGE selection of granite.

One problem- They estimator who came out today to measure told me that I would have a 1/2" gap where the granite meets the back wall, and also about a 1/4" gap where the granite will meet a floor to ceiling 24" deep cabinet due to my walls not being true. I said, "Yes, but isn't that what templating is for? To make sure you are accounting for the slightly imperfect angle?" He said "We don't need to do a template because the shape is so basic, and the saw only cuts straight." My walls are not bowed- they are perfectly straight, just not at an exact 90 degree angle.

So of course I googled, and almost every site (and a few videos) that I found show that this is EXACTLY what templating is for. I saw the fabricator use luan, scribe and then trim down so that the template was a nice tight fit even though the walls were not perfect.

I called a number of other granite places here, and ALL of them claim that if the walls are not exactly true, there WILL be gaps- not only that, but they have written in their contracts that they are not responsible for those gaps!

I consider myself to be a reasonable person, and I find this ridiculous. What are my options here? Should I insist on an EXACT template being made? Should I show this guy the video of another fabricator scribing the luan panels and ask that he do the same? Should I make the darn template myself??

Thanks for reading this long-winded post, but I need advice!

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

I saw the fabricator use luan, scribe and then trim down so that the template was a nice tight fit even though the walls were not perfect. What kind of machinery was he using. You can make a granite chunk match any amount of waviness IF you have the right equipment to do the cutting.

Saws have to cut straight because the blade is straight. If they have one of the expensive water jet cutting machines ($250,000 and up for the base machine) they can cut squiggles. But it's expensive.

Or they can use hand tools and grind away the granite to match the wall exactly - that's labor-intensive and expensive.

It would be way easier and cheaper to straighten out the wall until it's absolutely flat. Drywall or skim coating is easy.

• weissman
    13 years ago

If you're going with a tile (or granite) backsplash, it can compensate for very small gaps, but I agree, get a better fabricator who will actually template and cut the slab properly.

• istyleit
    13 years ago

this sounds crazy. I just got Granite to replace laminate which I could stick my entire hand inbetween my wall and laminate counter tops (horrible) my counters were templated for the granite and there are ABSOULTELY no gaps what so ever it is perfect and dead on, I would be looking elsewhere or maybe talk to someone else at that company. Please dont pay for granite that doesn't fit your wall. You deserve better.

• painterly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for the quick responses! You have confirmed what I was thinking. I will talk to the manager and see what they can tell us.

Lazygardens- He used Luan/hotglue, scribed the LUAN using a compass to match the wall angle, and then used a little planer to shave down the luan, thus creating a template for a perfect fit. Like I said in my original post, the walls are NOT wavy. I know my post was long, so you may not have read the part where I mentioned that. I realize the saw cuts straight. My walls ARE straight. They are just shy of a 90 degree angle.

The link to the video I spoke about is below. As you can see, it is the same situation I described- Straight wall, off angle.

Thanks again everyone- and if anyone thinks of anything else, please let me know!

Here is a link that might be useful: template video link I mentioned above

• macybaby
    13 years ago

Like others have said - it takes more time and that equals more $$$.

They may have giving you a price that included little hand work - and they can't do what you want at that price.

If the issue is as simple as corners other than 90 deg, that sounds strange that they can't accommodate that. The cut is still straight - just goes in a slightly different direction.

One thing about corners - because of teh mudding and taping, its normal for the walls to be straight right up to about 2" from the corner, and then they sort of "round in" because of this. A good taper will feather it out so it's appears straight, but if you put a 4' level with one end firm in the corner, you'll find that your wall isn't flat after all, but has an ever so slight rounding to it.

But a 1/2"? That sounds like the fabricator doesn't want to deal with anything that is going to add to the difficulty at all. But that might be what they will give you for the price point you are looking at.

Another option is to do like the Previous Owners in my house - and notch the sheetrock. And they had laminate with a backsplash ledge.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Painterly,

Wise of you to question it. I think you need another
    installer. I am all about trust when I work with people.
    My counters were templated up to each nook and cranny
    around my kitchen walls. Homes are not always designed or
    maintained perfectly square. What is this installer
    thinking? I agree a cheap way to put in granite is cut it
    all square and make the homeowner try to fix it.

Perhaps this installer does not realize you are more
    educated and savvy about what you expect. I personally
    would not go with them. If you have doubts before you
    hand them money imagine what it will be after.

An installer is far more valuable than any piece of granite.
    I searched high and low until I found someone who could
    make the slab of stone into a beautiful designed counter.

If you list which part of the country you are in there
    are GWebbers who can tell you who they used. Here is
    a link to New England installers.

Again Kudos to you for questioning and expecting better!
    ~boxerpups

How do you choose a granite installer gardenweb
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0911045013031.html

StaceyNeil's Driving to Massachusetts to look for granite
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0510194510882.html

Bad Bad Counter seam GW
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0622223725413.html

Here is a link that might be useful: How to judge the reputability of countertop installers?

• painterly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys are wonderful! I am so glad I posted here, because for a minute there I really thought maybe I was being unreasonable and crazy!

Boxerpups- Great information, thank you so much! I am in the VA/DC metro area, so if anyone reading this can recommend someone to me, that would be great.

You are right- I think it may be a case of the installer thinking I am not savvy about the process. We did a gut renovation, but LITERALLY the ONLY wall we didn't build ourselves is the one that is not true. Go figure. Anyway, after putting in so much work and care it would kill me to see it finished with a messy granite install. I am just so surprised and confused because this granite place has stellar reviews.

Macybaby- good points, I see what you are saying. I wish it were a matter of the walls being rounded in because of the mud :( Unfortunately I allowed a "contractor" to build the one knee wall that is out of wack, and didn't even realize it was off until drywall was up and cabinets were going in. My fault for not checking on every little detail of his "work".

Thank you, thank you, thank you all again!

If anyone knows of a great granite guy in the VA/DC area, please let me know!

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

The walls in our 50 year old house are far from perfect. The templater spent about an hour and a half but when they installed the counters, they fit like a glove.

If you are installing a tile back splash, they don't have to be perfect, but 1/2" is unacceptable.

• happy2b…gw
    13 years ago

painterly: Rugo Stone in Lorton, VA did my caesarstone and marble counters. They were here for hours for template and installation. Work came out perfectly. They explained the whole process, had us sign off on the template, and gav us a tour of their facility. Since we used caesarstone, we inspected the stone when it came in. We were also invited to be present when the stone was cut. Ask for Gus. You may contact me via email by clicking my name. Linda

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting